Rev matching when down shifting? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
D3v

Rev matching when down shifting?

Hi.

Just curious with the versy of any year, do people use the rev match or blip the throttle method when down shifting?
The way I do it is slow down first then down shift without blipping the throttle. Though does the methods above prevent excessive wear to the gearing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 01:27 AM

I usually blip the throttle to rev-match my downshifts... In simple terms, this reduces clutch dragging as well as shock loads in the tranny. It also shifts better and sounds cooler.
steve1503 likes this.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 02:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v View Post
Hi.

Just curious with the versy of any year, do people use the rev match or blip the throttle method when down shifting?
Always unless emergency braking

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
yes...all the way even into 1st @6k scares the bejesuz out people!

(running 16T front sprocket helps)
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Hi.

The way I do it is slow down first then down shift without blipping the throttle. Though does the methods above prevent excessive wear to the gearing?
My 2015 has a slipper clutch and no longer requires blipping, though out of habit, I find myself still doing it from time to time.

If your bike doesn't have one, you either need to blip or do what you do. What you do won't hurt the bike, it's just a slower way of getting around.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 07:54 AM

I'd blip even with a slipper clutch to reduce wear and tear (ex. on the slipper itself).
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 08:04 AM

Yup. Blip always. Even on bikes I have with a slipper clutch.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 08:06 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i find my self bliping alot i think its habit from brappen days

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
I'd blip even with a slipper clutch to reduce wear and tear (ex. on the slipper itself).
No need. There is nothing much to wear. Clutch hub just rides up ramps disconnecting the plates when a back torque from the transmission is applied. Plates can't wear if they ain't connected. Wearing out the ramps in the life of a bike seems rather unlikely too.

Blipping with a slipper won't hurt anything, but your defeating the porpoise. Be like buying a Beemer with shift assist and then letting off the gas and pulling in the clutch every shift. Again, won't hurt, but a waste of money if you're not going to take advantage of it.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
My 2015 has a slipper clutch
2015 650?

that means potential parts swap. wonder what the price of parts will be. aftermarket slipper is ~$5-600
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 09:39 AM

Depends on whether I want the engine braking, a normal stop coming to a stop sign for example, in which case I don't rev match, I just close the throttle and downshift, slowly let off the clutch and let the revs come up, the engine brakes the bike. I rarely shift into 1st to engine brake when coming to a stop, just pull in the clutch and use the brakes. As you may have noticed, downshifting into first is pretty abrupt. Kick it into first after I'm stopped.
With engine braking, I feel I'm trading clutch wear for brake wear. Brakes are cheaper and easier to service. So sometimes I just pull in the clutch and use the brakes.
Depends on the style of riding I feel like at the time. I'm a pretty relaxed rider. Nothing too intense.

If I'm downshifting to get to a better place in the power band to pass, ferinstance, then ya, I blip/rev match and give 'er.

Last edited by visitor zero; 09-08-2015 at 09:42 AM.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 10:23 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
2015 650?

that means potential parts swap. wonder what the price of parts will be. aftermarket slipper is ~$5-600
just wait to find one totaled and i bet you can get all of the bike for 1-2g

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 10:27 AM

Garage
always (i think).. out of habit more than thought though. i'm sure there are times where i just brake or don't blip due to circumstances.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 10:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Hi.

I blip the throttle on everything I drive, including cars, into every gear but first. I don't really downshift to first on anything.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
2015 650?

Only the 1k has a slipper clutch, the 2015 650 doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitor zero View Post
Depends on whether I want the engine braking, a normal stop coming to a stop sign for example, in which case I don't rev match, I just close the throttle and downshift, slowly let off the clutch and let the revs come up, the engine brakes the bike.
As you noticed, brake pads are cheap and designed for braking, clutches are expensive and designed to disengage power transmission. Abusing the clutch to brake is not a good idea, it's even talked about in Twist of the Wrist:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
No need. There is nothing much to wear.
I've never ridden on a bike with a slipper clutch, so I can't speak from experience, but I do believe current powerful sportbikes have slippers and the riders still blip when downshifting. I can't believe they'd do it just out of habit, considering that not caring about blipping means you get extra brain cycles to spare for other things which in the end gives better lap times... Isn't it, for example, smoother to rev match instead of relying on the slipper? Smoother generally means healthier (and safer).
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Only the 1k has a slipper clutch, the 2015 650 doesn't

I've never ridden on a bike with a slipper clutch, so I can't speak from experience, but I do believe current powerful sportbikes have slippers and the riders still blip when downshifting. I can't believe they'd do it just out of habit, considering that not caring about blipping means you get extra brain cycles to spare for other things which in the end gives better lap times... Isn't it, for example, smoother to rev match instead of relying on the slipper? Smoother generally means healthier (and safer).
figures, but even the lowely kawi 300 ninja has a slipper these days.

the versys has a more harsh drop off the throttle than my old 90's zx6r

I guess i'll have to dig those ninja slipper parts I picked up last year out and see what it takes to make it fit on a versys.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:

I've never ridden on a bike with a slipper clutch, so I can't speak from experience,
They should all have them stock. It's a wonderful device. I notice Yamaha is even putting them on their big twin cruisers.

Quote:
but I do believe current powerful sportbikes have slippers and the riders still blip when downshifting. I can't believe they'd do it just out of habit, considering that not caring about blipping means you get extra brain cycles to spare for other things which in the end gives better lap times...
A lot of guys with powerful engines put aftermarket parts in their clutches, like stiffer springs and grippier plates. As soon as you put stronger springs in it, the ramps will no longer raise the clutch basket at the same rate, thereby making the slipper less or even ineffective.

Quote:
Isn't it, for example, smoother to rev match instead of relying on the slipper? Smoother generally means healthier (and safer).

You'd be amazed. You just bang down the gears and the bike slows as gracefully as if you blipped every shift perfectly. It is a really simple concept that works amazingly well in real life. Slowing a race bike down to 50 mph from a 160 mph back straight is a whole different can of worms...
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 12:18 PM

the better slipper clutches don't just lessen plate pressure when decelerating, they increase plate pressure when accelerating thus reducing clutch slip when you really want it to grab.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 05:02 PM

One of the reasons I chose the 1000 over the 650 was the slipper clutch. But I wanted it because it requires ~30% less effort at the clutch lever. Also, the 1000's gear ratios are so close together I just don't bother downshifting.

2008 Ninja 250
2009 KLR 650
2015 Versys 1000 LT

Bob
Menasha, WI
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
the better slipper clutches don't just lessen plate pressure when decelerating, they increase plate pressure when accelerating thus reducing clutch slip when you really want it to grab.
What do they do that the springs don't?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode