On a budget, need advise with givi bags. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
FSM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
On a budget, need advise with givi bags.

Hi guys, I want to buy luggage but I don't have the money right now to get a full set.

The intended purpose of the bags will be mainly commuting (laptop 13', lunch, ) BUT I also want to use them for (week long trips, may be with a soft bag) I know....I want to have my pie/cake/muffin and eat it too! lol

I was originally looking at the givi E21 setup (they are not as expensive and I like the look)

Then I thought about just adding the E52 top case by itself......

I also think the E36 would be very useful (not completely in love with the looks but I am looking at functional first) can I store a helmet on these babys?

Also, I don't know if the top case would affect the performance of the bike (in case of slight overload)

If you guys could only have one (for now) which one would you choose and why?

Thanks guys.

F.

Last edited by FSM; 06-09-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:26 PM

I had the same dilemma, in that I wanted to have plenty of secure, convenient, waterproof storage, but not break the bank. What I ended up with is the Givi E36 side cases. You're right, they're not the prettiest things, but have good bang for the buck. For traveling I add a tank bag, and an Ortlieb dry duffel on the pillion. The Ortlieb bag sits nice and secure under a bungee net, and I don't have to worry about the contents getting wet. It also has handles, so it can be easily carried.

I haven't actually had a chance to test all of this gear yet. I'm leaving for Vegas in about a week, on what should turn out to be about a 4500 to 5000 mile trip, but I'm still waiting for Twisted Throttle (gotta call them again tomorrow...) to ship the Motech racks to hang the Givi bags on. I've field tested the tank bag and Ortlieb setup, though.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I''d go with the E52. I have the E55 loaded down i don't even know its back there.
www.sporttour.com

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 06-09-2010 at 10:31 PM.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
FSM

Thanks for your prompt replies guys.

What is your take on Givi racks vs the SW motech racks? pros and cons?

Also I found the givi racks on www.sporttour.com I think they have a better price (with the free shipping???) if anyone knows about any other websites, please let me know.

Thanks again guys
F.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I''d go with the E52. I have the E55 loaded down i don't even know its back there.
+1.

not sure of the cost comparison between a topbox or a pair of sidecases, but, i imagine the trunk is cheaper. i had one on my bikes for about ten years, until i sold the box with a bike. i'll replace that setup eventually. it's very convenient and less bulky than a pair of cases during the daily grind. makes a handy backrest for passengers, too.

i've seen posts on here warning about the weight affecting performance. i covered the map with mine and commuted as well, it wasn't an issue. maybe that's because i never carried my gold bricks in it.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:47 PM

Garage
I have the GIVI rack and like the look and they install very easy and you don't have to lose the side handles along the back portion of the seat like with some racks.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-31-2010 at 10:08 PM.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:52 PM

Garage
heres from an earlier post today.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=E55+top+case

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:54 PM

I have run with a GIVI top case on my VFR, KLR and Versys now. I have gone cross country and did not notice the top case. I usually travel with soft side cases and have not had a problem. I had hard side cases on my FJR and found it to be a pain getting of and on the bike. Top cases would be cheaper.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
FSM

Weljo thanks again for you input, actually I saw your bike today and damn it looks nice, that was kinda my "it looks cool" reflection....whatching your bike.

and KevRider Thanks for that very important info. It was a concern of mine (performance of the bike with a loaded top) I saw that you also covered my native country (Mexico) you have to do Baja.....it's amazing.

Thanks again guys......I am leaning towards the top case right now........

F.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
FSM

Thanks for your input skindoners.....VERY useful info....I think I'm going with the top.

I think Im going with the 52, it doesn't seem that bulky......(against the 46)

Thanks.

F.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 11:28 PM

Garage
FSM: your welcome. just went through san diego monday. i'm here in norwalk ca till saturday. If you go to www.sporttour.com you can get the dimensions of the cases and you'll see there not much differance in the 46,52, and 55 but inside the differance is consiterable as far as room

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
FSM

Thanks again Weljo......isn't the weather beautiful here? Anyway, I was considering the size, I think that I will look at your pics again, since I think you had both right? 46 and 52?
Hopefully the 52 doesn't look to big.......

Also, how is the light system on those? is it cheap or it actually works?

Thanks again.

F.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 12:44 AM

Garage
I have both side cases and top case. If I had to choose only one it would be the top case no question. For going on trip I install my side cases. Other than that I only use my top. It is much easier to get around tight spaces, such as getting in and out of the garage with the narrower bike.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Since you are on tight budget check out the sales section in the forum. Might be of some help.

You might be able to get somethings from members at fair price.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 03:16 AM

I was on a budget too so went for KAPPA instead of GIVI. Made by the same people but cheaper, if you can find it over there.
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 06:47 AM

if you are on a budget, don't discount the cheapo Givi clones sold by Sears or JC Penny. they fit to the Givi racks with a judicious use of a file. they can also be used as a top box / trunk. I don't think they do a rack/mounting kit for them.

if you are truly ion a budget then I have a slightly damaged Givi mounting kit for a Versys, that was invlolved in a sliding accident, its been forced back into something like working order, and it may benefit from a b it more tweaking. that mounting kit is currently in Canada
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 07:09 AM

I have a SW Motech top rack that is a nice piece. I put a Caribou 34L case with Roger's quick release mounts.

Case
http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000299

Mounts
http://cariboufasten.com/?name=Catal...=i&item=000012

This all goes on the assumption you can live with function over form there in SoCal.

V-Zee
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 07:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSM View Post
Thanks again Weljo......isn't the weather beautiful here? Anyway, I was considering the size, I think that I will look at your pics again, since I think you had both right? 46 and 52?
Hopefully the 52 doesn't look to big.......

Also, how is the light system on those? is it cheap or it actually works?

Thanks again.

F.
I've had theV-46 and E55. Objectuser has the E52 and he's happy with it. I didn't install the light kit in either of my cases. Givi makes a light kit or theres a kit by i believe its ardmore lighting

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 08:19 AM

The thing for me with the bigger cases (bigger being >E46) is being able to fit my entire backpack inside.

When I'm commuting on the bike, I want to put my backpack (which holds basically my entire "office" including my corporate laptop) and my lunch box inside the case. Then when I get to work, I want to be able to put all my gear inside the case and head inside.

As a further bonus, when my wife and I go for a ride, I can lock both our jackets and gloves inside the case, though we still have to lock our helmets to the bikes because the case isn't that big.

I'll say that I did notice the change in balance when I first put it on. I don't any longer. I'm a new rider and it doesn't affect me at all. Very glad to have it and is by far the best thing I've done to the bike.

Oh, I also have the lighting kit. I haven't had it installed yet though. Installing the topcase was not easy for me (I'm not good at that stuff) and no way I'm going to do electrical stuff myself.

I'll be interested to see difference inside between the E52 and the E55 next time I see weljo2001. I don't think either one looks too big for the bike and storage to me is quite valuable.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
FSM

Thanks to everyone for your help, suggestions and offers.

I am on a budget, but I can afford one of the two setups so I think I will got with the top case, a little bit less expensive and very functional, since (like objectuser) it will be nice to get my "office" my backpack and my lunch in there in a snap.

Objectuser, so you have the e46? Honestly I was leaning towards that one but I want to know if there is actually a considerable difference between that one and the e52

Thanks for the offer (Healdem) but I think I will pass.

"This all goes on the assumption you can live with function over form there in SoCal." LOL, good one Verstehenzee lol...I will take a look.

F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode