Rear tire wearing flat - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Arion
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Rear tire wearing flat

Been following tire threads, don't think this has been mentioned. But my 2013 has a bit over 1,500 miles and the center rear has worn flat, I would normally guess over inflated, but if anything I have been running less air. There is a distinct line on both sides of the tire, where the wear ends. I haven't noticed any issues with the cornering, but I don't lean it over anywhere close to dragging the pegs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 12:08 PM

You're not leaning it over often enough.
Seriously, 1500 miles is pretty quick to go through a tire (my stock tires lasted around 10000 miles and still had some life left in them when I replaced them, I replaced them because they started to get slippery in the rain), although It's pretty normal for the center to wear more than the sides if you ride a lot of straight roads. Most modern tires are made with a harder compound in the center to resist wear while still giving good traction in the turns.
An example, 90% of my riding is done on two lane curvy roads. My commute is all two lane with a lot of turns, I very seldom ride interstate. My rear tire is wearing less in the center and most about half way between the center line and the outside edges on the tread. I figure I'm probably using that part of the tread a little more than it was designed to be used.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 12:36 PM

If the center has worn flat I would suspect it's from under inflation causing the tire to compress and flatten the center section, increase friction temperatures and thus accelerate wear. But then, I'm not a physicist or tire wear expert. Just seems to make sense to me.

I suppose you could even things out by riding tight left hand circles for a few days followed by tight right hand circles for a few more days. At least the wear would be even.
silviefox likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 09-06-2015 at 12:39 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrypicker7 View Post
Been following tire threads, don't think this has been mentioned. But my 2013 has a bit over 1,500 miles and the center rear has worn flat, I would normally guess over inflated, but if anything I have been running less air. There is a distinct line on both sides of the tire, where the wear ends. I haven't noticed any issues with the cornering, but I don't lean it over anywhere close to dragging the pegs.
I'd go w/ 'underinflated' too, plus just riding in a straight line.

FWIW - I run 36F and 42R (psi), and HAVE for OVER 100,000 miles on three Versys alone.
weljo2001 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 04:09 PM

Garage
Lower inflation will definitely wear a tire faster than over inflation. However, lower pressure (within reason) will give greater traction/grip. I run the recommended 32 psi front, 36 psi rear pressure because that seems to be the sweet spot for handling and I want to have fun on motorcycles, not win some imaginary mileage/wear contest. Sure, I could probably extend the life of my tires by a few thousand km if I boosted pressure, but I don't really give a damn.

For the same reason I really don't care what fuel mileage I, or anybody else gets on the V. If I were concerned about economy to that extent I would not even ride a motorcycle. My car gets better mileage, but so what? Big effing deal, it costs less to ride slow but where is the fun in that?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 06:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrypicker7 View Post
1,500 miles and the center rear has worn flat, I would normally guess over inflated, but if anything I have been running less air.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
1: Go find Twisties
2: POWER though some corners
3: Orange peel is the look you are after!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 07:53 PM
BKP

Garage
Inflation (or under-inflation) has more to do with your tire wear, than your local road topology... Under-inflation creates a number of issues, and the only time you should be running (a little) lean is if you know you're spending the day in the canyon/mountain twisties, and you feel you need the slight traction bump it gives you...
I typically run 33-34 front, 36-37 rear, depending on what I'm carrying... With PRs (on prior bikes) it's given me up to 12k solid... The stockers on the Versys were still fine at 4k, at those pressures, but I swapped 'em out (simply because I didn't like 'em)...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 08:41 PM

Garage
I would guess your running under inflated as others have suggested. I run my rear a few pounds over what it calls for, specifically for wear, but make sure your at least running what they call for. Check your gauge against a different one. I have on gauge that reads a consistent 4lbs les than actual air pressure, and it's not a cheap gauge either.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode