2days Old - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2days Old

Just got my new v, when i start it up and idle for about 1 minute i start to smell gas , can't see any leaks ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 08:25 PM

Hey, wingnuut . . .

I am NOT very mechanical, but I do know that when I first got my Honda VFR800, I had a similar problem. It was the result of me giving the bike some gas - in other words, opening the throttle a bit - when I cranked the starter. My buddy Steve said, "Leave the throttle alone, Kev. It'll start just fine without you giving it any gas, especially because it's fuel-injected." He was right. When I left the throttle alone, it started and idled without any gassy smell.

Although there might be something else going on, you might try Steve's suggestion as a first and easiest alternative. Of course, if you're already leaving the throttle alone, then you can ignore this posting and hope for one from somebody who isn't as techno-deficient as I am!

Peace,
Kevin
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks ELLIVIS for the info. Ifound the problem, the gas cap vents to the atmosphere when engine is hot it vents out of the cap if you look at bottom of cap it has a small hole in it. there is no charcole canister to vent to , I though that was against the law to do this, i live in mass. where emmissions laws were the same as calf. I don't smoke so i think i am safe. Ithink they should make a sticky DO NOT SMOKE AROUND VERSYS

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:47 AM

My V is about a month old. No gas smell but I do get the hissing from the tank after I park it. I know the FI system pressureizes the tank but I'm wondering if I have a vent pinched somewhere?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Open the key cover it vents through the key hole.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versysbob View Post
My V is about a month old. No gas smell but I do get the hissing from the tank after I park it. I know the FI system pressureizes the tank but I'm wondering if I have a vent pinched somewhere?
From what I know this is normal. Mine makes a quiet noise and my 05 ZX6R used to make a loud whine on hot days. Everyone on the Kawi boards talk about it as well so I figure it's nothing to worry about.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 08:24 AM

Maybe this is endemic of Kawasakis. My 2006 Vulcan 1500 Classic makes a whistle when the tank is close to full and I shut down (their forum says it is common). You can open the tank and it will stop, or you can do a very convoluted fix that is far too much work for me. I just tell my buddies that my bike is protesting being parked near theirs.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 02:22 PM

I don't hear any noise, but I sure smell the gas vapors more than my old 2004 SV650S.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

I smell gas & my tank whistles. I can live with the smell, but the whistle is quiet annoying. I can hear it at every stop & low speeds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode