Forgot how much I like riding the Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By millarg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Forgot how much I like riding the Versys

Hadn't ridden the Versys since some time in June after I bought my R1200R. The 2011 Versys with 57k miles had been sharing commute duties with my much older but lower miles 1st gen FZ1. It was replaced in the commuter rotation by the BMW, and was just getting started and warmed up regularly, but not ridden.

I'd planned to sell it, but kept it around for my daughter to ride when she visited (complete with lowered seat). I took it out today (using my other, unlowered seat). It started instantly, ran well, and was a blast to ride. It felt like the same hop on it and ride all day bike that I remember. Unfortunately I didn't have all day. But if I did, we would have enjoyed it.

Still leaning towards selling it soon, but part of me is considering putting dual purpose tires on it and keeping it to tour. Another part says I just don't have time for that anymore, and next time I do I planned to take the R. My decision might be made by whether there's a buyer for the Versys. Was planning to price to sell, but you still need to find someone who wants to buy.

Of the 3 bikes, the Versys is the most agile and I think lightest. They're all comfortable, but with its more relaxed knee angle the Versys wins there as well. As you might expect of a less expensive bike, it looses in many categories--though it's a competent enough motorcycle. What's surprising to me is that the air/oil-cooled shaft-drive BMW delivers not only about 180% the rwhp of the Versys, but better fuel economy as well. When I dynoed the Versys it looked like the stock map was really rich in the midrange. Haven't had the R on a dyno, but from both fuel economy and from the slight popping on decel, it seems like the map is much better. Both as far as I know are bone-stock as far as engine, exhaust etc. I've had the Versys since new, but bought the BMW with 32k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 07:16 PM

Garage
I am just approaching my 1000th Versys mile and find it impossible to take the shortest route anywhere, went to the store tonight, it's 2 miles away, I managed an 18 mile round trip )
lrppcer likes this.

Glen 08 Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 07:57 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by millarg View Post
I am just approaching my 1000th Versys mile and find it impossible to take the shortest route anywhere, went to the store tonight, it's 2 miles away, I managed an 18 mile round trip )
only 1000? did you just get it last week =p, and sylvester knows how to make trips shorter by taking "shortcuts" IE going over/down sidewalks curbs and so on

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 06:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
only 1000? did you just get it last week =p, and sylvester knows how to make trips shorter by taking "shortcuts" IE going over/down sidewalks curbs and so on
Have only had her 6 weeks and I live on an island 15 miles long

Glen 08 Red

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 07:53 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Have only had her 6 weeks and I live on an island 15 miles long
lol ok thats acceptable .... and 15 miles? that sounds like a good privet time trials track =p....

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
millarg - you MUST have been low on gas to ONLY go 18....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode