I removed the shield! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I removed the shield!

and lo and behold the buzzing is gone, and there is way less turbulence. Either I go with a Givi Shield or just remove the brackets and be done with it!

Bikes:
2011 Kawasaki Versys (expected soon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Triumph Speedmaster (current)
2007 Buell XB STT Lightning (Sold)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Harley Fatbob (Current)
2007 Triumph Speedmaster (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Yamaha Raider (Sold)
2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
2006 Yamaha Warrior (Sold)
2004 Triumph America (Sold)
2002 Suzuki DRZ400S (Sold)
1972 Kawasaki 100 Enduro (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 09:25 PM

Hmmm...interesting!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:16 PM

Makes you wonder with that rubber bushing being so thin, is the windshield vibrating on the rest of the bracket.
I think we may have found another place for foam strip installation, good catch CANYONWLF7!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANYONWLF7 View Post
and lo and behold the buzzing is gone, and there is way less turbulence. Either I go with a Givi Shield or just remove the brackets and be done with it!
You mean you ride the V without a Windshield?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I broke my windshield posts off over a month ago, the buzzing stopped immediately, I reinstalled the windshield tonight. I'll ride tomorrow and let you guys know if the buzz comes back.

Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 03:34 AM

I have a 2007 which is second hand.The original owner took his back to Kawasaki due to a buzzing shield. They fitted felt down the front of the bike underneath the cowling and it stopped the buzz. Cost him about 80 euros. shield is still rubbish and although I do experience still a lot of buzzing from the bike cowling, its not coming from the shield .
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Yes I rode it yesterday without the shield, it is a much nicer experience for me.................
But my other bikes are Cruiser's and have no shield, I am used to there being no shield, maybe for colder months I'll add the Givi..................
plus my shield was the sole source of my buzzing...................

Bikes:

2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 AM

I broke mine off a year ago and anything over 65 mph sucked! I could barely hang on. Very tiring on the highway. Nice in the twisties, but I have to "get" to them to have any fun. There has never been any buzzing from the shield on mine.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 06:05 AM

I took the shield off my 2010 yesterday to see if that would help with the helmet buffeting. It was much better. Nothing but a clean stream of wind rushing past my head. It does become tiresome at speeds above 60mph or so. Not sure what I will do long term. I will look into the Givi though.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
Makes you wonder with that rubber bushing being so thin, is the windshield vibrating on the rest of the bracket.
I think we may have found another place for foam strip installation, good catch CANYONWLF7!!
On my 2008 I took all the foam I added off the other day and put piece of black duct tape on the front of the instrument pod by the head light molding and the buzzing is gone.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 06:47 AM

I installed a Laminar Lip on to my stock screen and am happy w/ it.
I was debating adding the Madstad and if it would help much more.
Maybe w/ Gary's broken mount and possible buzzing elimination I might have another reason to spring for the $120 Madstad.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inroads View Post
I installed a Laminar Lip on to my stock screen and am happy w/ it.
I was debating adding the Madstad and if it would help much more.
Maybe w/ Gary's broken mount and possible buzzing elimination I might have another reason to spring for the $120 Madstad.
I rode my Versys today after reinstalling the Givi, the vibration/buzzing is back. There has to be a correlation between the windshield and the buzzing on my Versys. James mentioned the Madstad mounting system, I checked out their website, it looks a lot sturdier than the Kawasaki mount. I've seen some posts from Madstad owners but no reviews. Has anyone on this site written a review on the Madstad? Thanks.

Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 11:15 PM

The V is great with no shield!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys 003.jpg (589.3 KB, 319 views)

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Hey Antman, where did you get your bungee net?

Bikes:

2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 07:04 PM

I think 2 shields are better than one. No buzzing from either shield, wind flows great and no bugs getting caught on my motowerks gps holder. Love it.

My Album:
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 08:42 PM

I rode mine around the block today sans windshield, and I swear there is less wind buffeting.

2010 Versys - 2007 Honda Goldwing

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 09:07 PM

With the factory shield on, I had buzzing from the instrument panel. I followed instructions found on our forum, and installed black foam around the cowlings & panel. No more buzzing. I then installed Givi windshield and buzzing returned. Buzzing definitely now coming from the shield. The buzzing occurs only during a small rpm range. Not really bothersome. The brackets must be too small to provide enough rigidity. When I have the time (insert laugh), I plan on installing some type of rubber dampers thru the shield itself.

Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

I re-installed the shield today upside down and in the second to lowest setting, I did not like the look of the bike without a shield. I must have installed the rubber grommets just right, because there is no buzzing this time...................
I think I will try the GIVI screen when it gets cooler

Bikes:

2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Hey Antman, where did you get your bungee net?

At the local dealer in the parts dept. Try www.cyclegear.com

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchieffallo View Post
With the factory shield on, I had buzzing from the instrument panel. I followed instructions found on our forum, and installed black foam around the cowlings & panel. No more buzzing. I then installed Givi windshield and buzzing returned. Buzzing definitely now coming from the shield. The buzzing occurs only during a small rpm range. Not really bothersome. The brackets must be too small to provide enough rigidity. When I have the time (insert laugh), I plan on installing some type of rubber dampers thru the shield itself.
I did the exact same thing. With factory shield on, buzzing between 3k-3500 rpm. I installed foam in the areas specified around the cowling, and the buzzing stopped. I then picked up a Givi windscreen, installed it, and now there's a new buzz around 4k-4500 rpm. I thought it was the cowling again so I redid all my foam and it's still there.

Just for kicks I slapped on my stock screen again and the buzzing was almost completely gone. Just a tad bit at the same rpm range. I test road it around my neighborhood and put slight upward pressure on my stock screen (left side) and bingo...no buzzing at any RPM range. I was able to make the buzzing come back on demand just by releasing that pressure on the screen. I'm planning on taking it a part tonight to see if I can't track it down.

This new buzz has to be with the windscreen mount. I'm also wondering if a Madstad would do the trick too, besides, at my height (6') the Givi screen on the highest setting shoots the air flow right at my eyes causing some crazy buffeting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode