Where do you park? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Where do you park?

Ok, so I've been riding now for almost a month. One thing I'm still a little foggy on is where to park when I'm out and about. At my office, I park in a parking space. There's only around 5-8 cars at a time at my work (in a lot of over 100 spaces) so I'm not terribly worried about someone hitting it pulling into a spot.

My question is, is it acceptable practice for me to park on the walkway sections outside of stores and such, as long as there's plenty of space and I'm not blocking any doors, access ways or windows?

I've always seen bikes parked in these areas at places like Target, Home Depot and grocery stores, but I'm just not sure if it's acceptable. So far, I've been parking in the lot at stores, taking up an entire space, only to find myself worrying that when I come out, I'll find my bike either stolen or on it's side from getting hit.

It probably depends on what type of business you're at too, right?

So, where do you all park when you're out? What guidelines should I follow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:36 PM

sidewalks will get you a ticket or towed.

Just like a car, same rules apply.
Some businesses do provide cycle lots/spaces that are cordoned off from cager parking. College campuses mostly but..there out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:40 PM

Garage
I use a parking space. That is what they are for. As far as if it gets hit or stolen. My truck it just fine there as well, plus that is what I have insurance for.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:00 PM

what's "acceptable" varies greatly from city to city, though parking on sidewalks rarely makes sense. i only do that at my sisters house or moms house. if you do something like that in a commercial setting, be sure you're clear of doorways and don't impede the peds. i often use the striped triangles at the end of a row, if that gets me a more visible or protected spot. i more often use a parking space. you can make your bike more visible by angling it slightly and not going all the way to the front of the space.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:11 PM

When I go to walmart I park in the striped triangle spaces up front right under the street lamp. Other times I just use a parking space as I would in a car. I often see bikes in the little space right next to a handicapped space but beware...you can be ticketed or towed for parking in the stipped off space next to a handicapped space. Sometimes if a bike is off to the side in a space I will park next to that.

I think someone has to be really stupid to hit your bike as it takes up much less space and you can park it right in the middle of the space. Although at my apartment complex I notice that almost always a car will park next to me and crouch me in a little (park over the line partly into my space.) I wish people would take more care when parking their cars.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:15 PM

As far as theft goes. They make a disc lock that has an alarm build in it for less than $100.00. I try and get end spots and dont pull all the way in. Check with the mall areas some of them have motorcycle specific parking usually near the entrances.

If you park on the sidewalk and a small child gets burnt on the bike or knocks it over onto them you may face a civil lawsuite. At least if that happens in a parking space you parked legally.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Not a problem parking here , but you might get a ticket if you park in the wrong sport.
Parking your bike, always park in open space where you can have an eye on it and also where other can see it. Use disc lock or somekind of lock to secure you bike while you are away form your bike.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Where ever you park it would be advisable to obey the local bylaws or you will get a ticket bike or car and parking in wrong space may affect your insurance
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:05 AM

Garage
I always park on the sidewalk of the store. 10 or 15 years ago I used to catch some flak from employees of some stores for doing this. Others didn't seem to mind. Now no one really seems to care. Must have broken them down.
Other places where I can't park on a sidewalk I just try to make the bike visible. Not in between two large vehicles or all the way against the bumper where it won't be seen. Never had a problem.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:15 AM
DBL

I received a parking ticket while on jury duty back in 1990 when I parked my '85 XL350R next to the (empty) bicycle racks in front of the courthouse. I did this so I could lock it to the racks with my Kryptonite lock. This was my SECOND '85 XL350R as the first one got stolen. Needless to say, the judge did not waive the ticket but I challenged it anyway and had it dismissed. With my current bike, I just park in a regular space.

As far as theft prevention, I am using a Boost Mobile GPS tracking cellphone as a poor man's LoJack. Only paid $50 for the phone and only need to add airtime 4 times a year at $10 each time so total is only $40/year. I added a car charger to keep the phone charged and have it wired to the battery and hidden on the bike. If the bike gets stolen, I can track it from any web browser, even my regular cellphone but it's really slow. I use Instamapper to track the phone. Feel free to PM me for more info.

http://www.instamapper.com/diy.html

Last edited by DBL; 06-07-2010 at 01:17 AM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Is it a Motorola i290? Where did you hide it in the Versys?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 07:02 AM

Generally I park in a marked spot, never on a walkway or sidewalk, who the "f" do I think I am to block someone else's walkway is my moto, I know I would be and generally am pissed when some self asshat parks on a sidewalk where I can't get my kids stroller by. I will sometimes park in the lined off areas on a parking lot marked to keep cars out of spots that are too small for a car, but just right for a bike.

I don't worry about theft, I have insurance, let them take it if they want. And frankly speaking, no lock in the world is stopping a thief if he wants your bike. He is throwing it in the back of a van and driving away, which is how most bikes are stolen anyway.

Last edited by marc11; 06-07-2010 at 07:04 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 07:24 AM

Here bikes park on the sidwalks downtown because there are not enough spaces. As long as you don't block the walkway or doors they don't say anything.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Good feedback everyone. I've been parking in the lots, but there are many places around town that have incredibly large walkway areas in front of or on the side of stores. It's not uncommon to see a "walkway" that's nearly 15 feet wide along the entire side of the side.

Maybe it's different in different cities. I see bikes parked in these ares all the time. Heck, even my MSF instructor suggested parking in these areas (as long as there's no chance of blocking doorways, windows or impeding pedestrian traffic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
Generally I park in a marked spot, never on a walkway or sidewalk, who the "f" do I think I am to block someone else's walkway is my moto, I know I would be and generally am pissed when some self asshat parks on a sidewalk where I can't get my kids stroller by. I will sometimes park in the lined off areas on a parking lot marked to keep cars out of spots that are too small for a car, but just right for a bike.
And marc11, I completely hear ya...my wife and I almost always push our Bob double jogger with our 3 boys in it every store we go in. It gets me too when people block the safest path for my family!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 11:06 AM

And don't you always worry about your bike where ever it's parked. I do. (I feel like I'm leaving my kid out there unattended).
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 11:37 AM

Biggest issue with parking is not theft, is distracted drivers going about the parking lot when you are looking for a spot. I try parking in the least trafficked and visible areas. Either right in front in the stipped areas or far out where the bike is visible and away from the heavy traffic. It is not hard in Colorado to find dedicated parking for motorcycles.

Where I live it is ok to tie your horse to the bicycle racks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode