Salvage Advice in MA - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By blipco
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Matthew Ebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 41
Garage
Smile Salvage Advice in MA

Greetings from Boston!

Versys-Left.jpg

My first bike, a previously-totaled '08 Versys, is about to be fixed up and brought in for a reinstated title. I've never done this sort of thing before (though I do have a mechanic friend walking me through all of this). Does anyone have any experience/advice in this area?

Not really looking for repair tips, that part's the easy part. Procedures and paperwork in the People's Republic of Massachusetts? That's hard.

I've got all the relevant links from the government websites, but if you've had dealings (in MA or elsewhere) with salvage bikes and care to share some wisdom, I'm all ears.

Well, all eyes. Unless I fire up a screen reader or something.
Matthew Ebel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Poughkeepsie NY
Posts: 1,164
Garage
I am of no help to you....

But bike looks pretty decent from the one pic. What did you pic it up for, and how much $ are you expecting to need to put into it to get it back on the road?

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
HAWKSHOT99 is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Matthew Ebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 41
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
I am of no help to you....

But bike looks pretty decent from the one pic. What did you pic it up for, and how much $ are you expecting to need to put into it to get it back on the road?
Grabbed this one for $2,400 with about 30k miles on it, only needed about $400 more in parts. An insurance company may have to replace the cosmetically-dented muffler, but I don't… I'm just fixing the parts it needs to run.

And the right fairing, cause it was broke as hell.
Matthew Ebel is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Member
 
kawdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,596
In most states, no full coverage insurance on salvage titles. You are on your own on the road. Google your own state insurance laws to be sure. I thought the 08's were in the $3K's or occasionally in the $2k's, with only a few thousand miles (but market price changes quickly.) It's too late now, but it sounds like more than $400 damage done to yours if it split the fairing up.

Post pics if you can. Not only fairing, but frame, forks, front wheel, gas tank, instruments, handlebards, radiator, radiator coolant bottle system, ... are all suspect imo. These bikes will fly, so it's your butt if it's not repaired adequately. Good luck.

But then again, we have Street Fighter experts here all the time. I don't think any of them have full coverage insurance, if case you ride in the big cities.

Last edited by kawdog; 09-02-2015 at 03:24 PM.
kawdog is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Matthew Ebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 41
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
In most states, no full coverage insurance on salvage titles. You are on your own on the road. Google your own state insurance laws to be sure. I thought the 08's were in the $3K's or occasionally in the $2k's, with only a few thousand miles (but market price changes quickly.) It's too late now, but it sounds like more than $400 damage done to yours if it split the fairing up.

Post pics if you can. Not only fairing, but frame, forks, front wheel, gas tank, instruments, handlebards, radiator, radiator coolant bottle system, ... are all suspect imo. These bikes will fly, so it's your butt if it's not repaired adequately. Good luck.

But then again, we have Street Fighter experts here all the time. I don't think any of them have full coverage insurance, if case you ride in the big cities.
Weirdly enough, Progressive had no problem insuring this bike like any other bike. Of course, I can't RIDE it until the state salvage inspection happens.

As for repairs, the friend helping me with this project is a general mechanic and body guy and has done this plenty of times. He's got years of experience, and he's got the full service manual for this bike. We'll be going over it part by part this weekend.
Matthew Ebel is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 10:48 AM
Member
 
blipco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: boston, MA
Posts: 1,515
The State Cop who inspects your bike is going to totally bust your balls.
He is going to look at the insurance documents to see what was damaged. Any parts you have bought MUST be from either a licensed salvage yard or from a dealer. You have to show proof.
All he wants is to see you bought the parts legit. eBay and Craigslist don't count unless it meets the requirements I mentioned.
Here's a tip. If you don't need a part to pass inspection, such as a sidecover, don't put it on unless you have a receipt.
The State Prick is just going to check your blinkers and tires and such but he will compare the parts on the bike to the insurance company paperwork.
The bike doesn't have to be complete, it just has to pass a safety inspection.
Matthew Ebel likes this.
blipco is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Matthew Ebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 41
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
The State Cop who inspects your bike is going to totally bust your balls.
He is going to look at the insurance documents to see what was damaged. Any parts you have bought MUST be from either a licensed salvage yard or from a dealer. You have to show proof.
All he wants is to see you bought the parts legit. eBay and Craigslist don't count unless it meets the requirements I mentioned.
Here's a tip. If you don't need a part to pass inspection, such as a sidecover, don't put it on unless you have a receipt.
The State Prick is just going to check your blinkers and tires and such but he will compare the parts on the bike to the insurance company paperwork.
The bike doesn't have to be complete, it just has to pass a safety inspection.
Yeah, that's what I thought! Fortunately, I read the website and some horror stories before doing the repairs, so I have all the invoices from Revzilla, Rocky Mountain ATV, and so on. I have a big envelope labeled "Matt's Big Envelope of Important Bike ****"
Matthew Ebel is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Matthew Ebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 41
Garage
So, long story short: DON'T.

I've been told by many people that it's really up to the whim of the particular cop that does the inspection, and mine told me that the bike had to be in "pre-crash condition."

When asked to clarify, he said that every single thing mentioned on the insurance paperwork had to be repaired or replaced. A turn signal was scratched, but still perfectly functional… and that would fail the inspection. The gas tank had a little tiny dent in it and some scratched paint. That would fail the inspection.

The fact that I replaced a broken fairing on a red bike with a brand-new, OEM BLUE fairing WOULD FAIL THE INSPECTION.

At $50 per inspection, I'm not going to take my chances on another cop passing the bike. It's easier to find a friend in NH, sell it to them, have them clear the title, buy it back, and just get the damn thing licensed.

So after this experience, all I can say if you want to buy a salvage bike in MA: DON'T.
Matthew Ebel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
2008, massachusetts, repair, salvage

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome