Renthal bars or ..... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Renthal bars or .....

Thinking about changing my bars and Renthal come to mind. I,d like to go with a similar height or a touch lower, and a touch wider, maybe an inch. I,d imagine, given the clearance with the tank and screen....an MRA in my case....that choice of bars could be limited.
Any feedback would be most welcome.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 08:08 AM

I bent my stock bars on my '13 so I looked for a replacement that was a tad lower. I ended up with some Fly Racing double wall aluminum bars in the CR High bend variety. They are about 1.5" lower, but aren't any wider. If anything they are a touch more narrow, but I cant really tell a difference in handling when I'm shredding it up in the twisties

I did notice a significant difference in bar stiffness with the cross bar that the Fly bars have. I couldn't really take two hands of the bars with the stock bars without drifting to one side or the other. But with the Fly bars I can take both hands off the bars and the bike tracks straight, which is pretty cool when used in conjunction with a throttle lock(Dangerous I know).

Last edited by monjorrow; 09-05-2015 at 08:11 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 09:29 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by monjorrow View Post
I bent my stock bars on my '13 so I looked for a replacement that was a tad lower. I ended up with some Fly Racing double wall aluminum bars in the CR High bend variety. They are about 1.5" lower, but aren't any wider. If anything they are a touch more narrow, but I cant really tell a difference in handling when I'm shredding it up in the twisties

I did notice a significant difference in bar stiffness with the cross bar that the Fly bars have. I couldn't really take two hands of the bars with the stock bars without drifting to one side or the other. But with the Fly bars I can take both hands off the bars and the bike tracks straight, which is pretty cool when used in conjunction with a throttle lock(Dangerous I know).

hmm i kinda like those, tho i wounder if all my bar mount crap will still fit on with them and the cross bar in palce

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 09:34 AM

The cross piece is removable
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 09:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
The cross piece is removable
i know... but im wundering if i can keep it on and fit my crap (gps/phone mount, aux power , hand guards, plushies)

yes im a guy.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
i know... but im wundering if i can keep it on and fit my crap (gps/phone mount, aux power , hand guards, plushies)
You could probably make them work if they have a lot of giro adjustment, but it would probably be a PITA
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 12:14 PM

just need to bulk up the cross bar to 3/4" then mount to it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 12:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
You could probably make them work if they have a lot of giro adjustment, but it would probably be a PITA
im gay , im all about the pain in the arse lol, but no really i think i could work around it , 3/4 of my crap is home made anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
just need to bulk up the cross bar to 3/4" then mount to it.
was my thought exactly, just half cut some pipe and tack weld it on maybe?

yes im a guy.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 01:10 PM

could even rubber mount it to reduce vibration even more
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 01:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
im gay , im all about the pain in the arse lol, but no really i think i could work around it , 3/4 of my crap is home made anyway

was my thought exactly, just half cut some pipe and tack weld it on maybe?
I've had luck with cutting pieces of PVC in appropriate diameters used it in conjunction with pieces of bicycle innertube rubber to make shims for items mounted to tubing.

Granted, Ive done this on bicycles, but if it works for a front deraileur which is taking cable pull, I'm guessing it should work for simple handlebar mounted items.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 02:08 PM

Garage
I recently did this because I was trying to mount the bars lower and more straight for my wrists. I went with Moose steel CR High Bend which just clear the tank. They are lower, and have significantly less pullback.

In the process, I looked at a few different bars. Most dirt bike bars will b e lower and have less pullback than stock bars. ATV Bars tend to be higher and have more pullback than dirtbike bars, so if you're looking to keep it close to stock geometry, you may want to start with ATV bars. Pro bably a lower set of ATV Bars, maybe competition ATV.

The link below is to a Vstrom forum, but they have a pretty extensive list of measurements of different bars

Handlebar Configuration data (Width, Height, & Pull Back)

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 08:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkovo View Post
I've had luck with cutting pieces of PVC in appropriate diameters used it in conjunction with pieces of bicycle innertube rubber to make shims for items mounted to tubing.

Granted, Ive done this on bicycles, but if it works for a front deraileur which is taking cable pull, I'm guessing it should work for simple handlebar mounted items.
good idea being a metal worker its always the first material i think of....

yes im a guy.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I recently did this because I was trying to mount the bars lower and more straight for my wrists. I went with Moose steel CR High Bend which just clear the tank. They are lower, and have significantly less pullback.

In the process, I looked at a few different bars. Most dirt bike bars will b e lower and have less pullback than stock bars. ATV Bars tend to be higher and have more pullback than dirtbike bars, so if you're looking to keep it close to stock geometry, you may want to start with ATV bars. Pro bably a lower set of ATV Bars, maybe competition ATV.

The link below is to a Vstrom forum, but they have a pretty extensive list of measurements of different bars

Thanks for the info. I,m looking in the same area as yourself. Given the tight clearances its not straightforward. But a tweak with the bars and taking some slope out of the seat should hopefully get the ergonomics a little better.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:

now that is a handy link since I actually want more height to make standing easier.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
now that is a handy link since I actually want more height to make standing easier.
I find that my combo of 'lowered-pegs' and '2inch ROX risers' gives me a GREAT position!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 11:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KVBry View Post
Thanks for the info. I,m looking in the same area as yourself. Given the tight clearances its not straightforward. But a tweak with the bars and taking some slope out of the seat should hopefully get the ergonomics a little better.
No prob. Before I bought mine, I was looking at the renthal RC (Ricky Carmichael) bend. A bit taller than the CR High bend, and even less pullback. No doubt they are nicer bars than the steel Moose ones I bought.

The one measurement that isn't usually listed, that can be an issue on the Versys, is the length of the tube that runs through the clamp. If it's too long, the bends on each end can hit the fairing at full lock. In the 1st pic below, where the first bend as the bar comes out of the clamp is what I am referring to. On mine, if that part was an inch longer on each end, it would probably be touching the fairing.

When I was looking, I never even thought about that part. I was only focusing on the controls clearing the tank.

Bar position is such a personal thing, but I cant stand riding a motorcycle or bicycle with bars that dont fit me right. It drives me crazy. For me, having the bars lower and forward a bit, made a drastic difference, even though the change doesn't appear to be drastic. My body proportions are unusual though, so wouldnt be for everyone.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650

Last edited by pkovo; 09-09-2015 at 12:02 PM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That initial measurement is interesting in so far as its not one that I would normally considered, although crucial none the less.
Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode