First drop - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

First drop

O.K. so I came back from a very nice ride of 200 miles yesterday pulled into the drive thought I had the kickstand down and proceeded to trap my left leg under the Versys.

I was finally able to get my leg out and the bike upright. It took me two tries at that.

So the damage report is,
Broken clutch lever, skinned up mirror, skinned up bar end, bent shift lever, broken peg end bruised and swollen foot and twisted knee.
What a putz.

Guess that's not too bad, I bought it to ride and it cant stay pristine forever.

When I raced I had a ritual with new helmets, throw it on the ground and kick it around a little to wear the "new helmet curse off"

Guess I should of scratched the V right off the bat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 10:12 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
well glad you made it out ok, ive dropped mine aswell, aslong as you pick it up and ride again thats all that matters

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 11:44 AM

Hmm, I ALMOST had the same thing happen yesterday. However for Mine I have zero Explanation. I was laying across the seat to check chain tension with weight on the bike. As I leaned up off the bike, I continued to let the bike tip to the RIGHT to catch on the kickstand, which it obviously never did! I caught it and my mistake about 18 inches from the ground. Talk about a brain fart! 40 years on bikes, and I have done some stupid things, but that was one of the dumbest!

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

ron - PARTICULARLY as there's NO need to put weight onto the bike to check chain tension....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Motard View Post
...proceeded to trap my left leg under the Versys.
I was finally able to get my leg out and the bike upright. It took me two tries at that.

So the damage report is,
Broken clutch lever, skinned up mirror, skinned up bar end, bent shift lever, broken peg end bruised and swollen foot and twisted knee.
Markie - REALLY glad for you that you did NOT break your leg! (I've done it TWICE [ONCE per side......]...) and didn't much enjoy it!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
ron - PARTICULARLY as there's NO need to put weight onto the bike to check chain tension....
Yea I have heard and read that numerous times as much as I have read the counter point.. In 40 years of bikes with chains I still make it a point to check slack weighted and unweighted, as well in a few different places.. following a cut in stone directive does not always work when comparing a 250 pound rider who likes a slower more comfy "softer" ride to a 120 pound rider with sportier "stiffer" ride.

Just my personal preference, especially a new bike , to find its weighted sag (which will change a bit as it is broken in more) and make sure I am within spec..
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 02:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
O.K. so I came back from a very nice ride of 200 miles yesterday pulled into the drive thought I had the kickstand down and proceeded to trap my left leg under the Versys.

Yep got that T-Shirt. Had to kick the V off with my right leg.Had H/B Crash Bars and Some Hand Guards on so the only damage was the glass in the left mirror and my pride...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Come to think of it, the last time I did this, was in the Parking lot of the office on my Uly.. With People Watching, a few of which were cute girls. They didn't seem interested in talking to me afterwards.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 04:10 PM

Yup. Did my first one about a month ago (see my post from Aug 1st "Dropped my V1K" for details). Glad you and your bike OK.

2008 Ninja 250
2009 KLR 650
2015 Versys 1000 LT

Bob
Menasha, WI
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Come to think of it, the last time I did this, was in the Parking lot of the office on my Uly.. With People Watching, a few of which were cute girls. They didn't seem interested in talking to me afterwards.
I had similar experience with a row of female on lookers, but this was at a race on dirt.
Next to last lap I noticed a row of females along a fence.
I decided to pull a giant wheelie across the finish line for them, track was extremely wet and rutted, heavy clay, dropped into rut at last turn and caught my foot peg, stopped most of my forward momentum smacked my thighs on the crossbar, almost went over the bars.

When I looked over they all had their hands over their mouths giggling.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 10:44 AM

Glad you're basically OK. In my first year I had a driveway drop using too much front brake turning left, a parking lot drop using too much front brake to the right, and a pull on top of myself in the garage trying to be cute seeing what it was like to bring it off the stand while standing on the right side. I now have very limited use of my front brake when going slow, and have great respect for that top heavy weight. I'm learning.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 11:15 AM

I dropped mine while doing my advanced MSP class. Lol. Grabbed a little too much front brake.

I was super embarrassed, especially to drop in front of other riders. All I did was scratch up some fairing and break my turn signal. There was a guy there with this big Harley full dresser, he and I had been chatting all day. I said something about damn that's embarrassing, fourth bike and 15 years and never dropped one before, and he says:

"You know, they say there's two kinds of riders: Those who have been down, and those who are going down."

Really changed my perspective and made me realize that nobody there cared. Glad you're OK! My buddy dropped mine on Friday...no damage though, thankfully.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Yea I have heard and read that numerous times as much as I have read the counter point.. In 40 years of bikes with chains I still make it a point to check slack weighted and unweighted, as well in a few different places.. following a cut in stone directive does not always work when comparing a 250 pound rider who likes a slower more comfy "softer" ride to a 120 pound rider with sportier "stiffer" ride.

Just my personal preference, especially a new bike , to find its weighted sag (which will change a bit as it is broken in more) and make sure I am within spec..
The TIGHTEST your chain WILL get is when the THREE axis are INLINE - the center EACH of the swingarm pivot, the countershaft sprocket and the rear axle. As the ONLY one moving UP and DOWN is the rear axle, the chain gets LOOSER as the axle moves away from the INLINE position. That is physics....

Motorcycle manufacturers set the three inline, tighten the chain to a SLIGHT amount of slack, then set it onto its stand (which puts the axle BELOW the centerline, and measure what that translates to. In the Versys 650 case - one to 1.4".

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
The TIGHTEST your chain WILL get is when the THREE axis are INLINE - the center EACH of the swingarm pivot, the countershaft sprocket and the rear axle. As the ONLY one moving UP and DOWN is the rear axle, the chain gets LOOSER as the axle moves away from the INLINE position. That is physics....

Motorcycle manufacturers set the three inline, tighten the chain to a SLIGHT amount of slack, then set it onto its stand (which puts the axle BELOW the centerline, and measure what that translates to. In the Versys 650 case - one to 1.4".

I understand that, however much like break-ins, spark plugs, and oil.. we don't always follow the book religiously do we? In my case, I consider 1.4" inches too loose for a bike when it barely squats with weight.. Hince since my suspension barely budges when I sit on it at 193 pounds, I like to run it a tad tighter. 1" is a tad on the tight side for my liking and as the suspension settles a bit more, I will run it a tad more loose. It's all in preferences, and thats mine! Once I become more familar with the bike, and the Sag, and ultimately where my suspension settings end up, I rarely even touch the chain for tension, I can view it's droop and know whether I am good or not always checking in a few places.. However I am not there with this bike yet, just don't know it well enough yet!

Last edited by ronheater70; 09-01-2015 at 12:21 PM.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 07:55 AM

Garage
Quote:

So the damage report is,
What a putz.

Guess that's not too bad, I bought it to ride and it cant stay pristine forever.

When I raced I had a ritual with new helmets, throw it on the ground and kick it around a little to wear the "new helmet curse off"

Guess I should of scratched the V right off the bat.
SW-Motech engine bars will save you a lot of grief. They'll even save your foot as they will help keep the bike off your foot.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 03:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
SW-Motech engine bars will save you a lot of grief. They'll even save your foot as they will help keep the bike off your foot.
And BarkBusters. Dropped mine 3 times at standstill with zero damage to the bike, just a scratch on the BarkBuster plastic and a graze on the SW-Motech crash bars.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 09:12 PM

Garage
I almost dropped mine this last Thursday while backing it out of the garage. I was pushing it backwards while seated and a magnolia leaf had blown in the garage and I stepped on it while pushing and of course my foot slipped out. I caught it but it sure was close.

Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid -John Wayne
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 04:20 AM
MTS

Like Weljo and fasteddie ... T-Shirt and an ego hit!

Caught my bike before it hit the ground! lol

It was a strange deal. I remember some melting ice being on the ground and I had no business even having my bike out.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 07:11 AM

There is a saying pilots that have landed gear up and those that will.....same with bikes, those that have dropped them and those that will. Me, doG only knows how many drops, high sides, low sides, hit trees, missed jumps, and all I have in my 40 years....likely a good reason I move pretty slow and get by day to day with a few little white pills. But dropping a street bike is a bit different from dropping a dirt bike, street bikes can snap you pretty quick....IIRC versys comes in at almost 500lbs...perhaps a tick over....that is something to respect.

Another good skill to have is how to pick up the bike CORRECTLY, and a great deal of new riders don't do it right, they are young strong, and ticked off they dropped the thing.

In simple words and find a video on youtube that shows

Back to bike, in gear, hand on bar, had on handle at the back, butt against seat knees bent at about a 90 and just walk the bike up. Have kickstand down and bang you are up....a 90lb can pickup a gold wing with this method.

But the best thing is to bail on the bike if you think it is going down....and that is one thing that riding in the dirt will teach you....you don't want that thing running into you as it bounces down the track.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 07:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
And BarkBusters. Dropped mine 3 times at standstill with zero damage to the bike, just a scratch on the BarkBuster plastic and a graze on the SW-Motech crash bars.
Whoa there Maverick, three times? Slow learner or unsteady foot plant?
Just kidding you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode