Recommended BMW F650GS Forum? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Recommended BMW F650GS Forum?

So I have just "inherited" a 2001 BMW F650GS with a likely ceased engine!
Short story, 2 years ago, I'd just gotten my KLR 650 (now sold) and went on an island tour with my buddy (his BMW), part way through ride engine locked up.
Life got in the way and it sat untouched til now, in the interim my buddy left island, few days ago he tells me to just take it and see what I can do...
Honestly, I need another project like I need a hole in the head! But...
So I'm looking for a recommendation of a good forum, so I can do some research.
Aware of F650.com, but it doesn't seem too active, there is also a forum based in the UK.
Any direction to good F650 advice appreciated.
Many thanks in advance,

Glen 08 Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Why not do some measurements to see IF you can put a Versys engine in there...?

I know there are a few KLRsys out there...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 05:19 PM

Most of the FAQ's you will need will be on the Chain Gang site. And the few who are there will help you.

The UK site is hard to understand since they seem to talk in circles. As well, like most web sites, they are very sponsor prone and will get irritable if you do not agree with their sponsor selling needless products. Also, you may try the TR 650 Husky site (link below), which is the latest evolution of your bike (and as fast as our Vs. 650, but a thumper). Go to both the F650 sites, US and UK, and just hang around the Husky site to see what the racers are doing. And get every manual for your bike possible. And then get a good mechanic, lol.

TR650 | Cafe Husky

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Many thanks, to be clear, I'll be holding onto my 08 Versys.

The F650 is just a dalliance (however her PIAA lights and GIVI luggage will likely make the transition to the Versys )

Did a little digging in to the engine today, spark plug was crushed at the end and there was some, not a lot, of water in the oil, so I'm thinking dropped valve???

Anyways, seems the F650 engine is FUBAR! (will take head off in the next few days and see what I find and if she'll spin - regardless, a rebuild will likely cost more than a used ebay replacement, so she may end up being parted out (though she is not in the best condition generally).

TIA Glen

Glen 08 Red

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 01:27 PM
djg

Try here. Lots of traffic, realistic, practical atmosphere.

Parallel Universe | Adventure Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode