Altenative grips - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Altenative grips

Although I don,t have particularly large hands I,m finding the grips a little on the slim side.
My other bike ...a Triumph Bonneville sshh.... has grips that are a convex shape and are really comfortable. I appreciate they are 1" bars / grips but I wonder if there are similar to fit the Versys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 03:19 PM

Had the same issue and solved it by installing Grip Puppies. They are a closed cell foam "addition" and are both comfortable and do a decent job of absorbing vibration. They're good value for the money.

Don't tell anyone but I have them on my other bike - a BMW K75S.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVBry View Post
Although I don,t have particularly large hands I,m finding the grips a little on the slim side.
My other bike ...a Triumph Bonneville sshh.... has grips that are a convex shape and are really comfortable. I appreciate they are 1" bars / grips but I wonder if there are similar to fit the Versys.
My new bike has foam grips which have a convex shape so they are fatter in the middle. I haven't ridden it enough yet to know how comfortable they are.

Or if you want heated grips solve 2 problems with 1 product

Motorcycle Street Grips

great grips, auto turn off, individual switches (select the heat setting for each grip and no big ugly controller on the bars), easy to install and convex shape for comfort.

Last edited by Maverick; 08-29-2015 at 05:44 PM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 11:48 PM

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ove/e44001.jpg
i have a pair of Sunline Grand Touring grips, they just right. they are apparently out of production, i've had a hard time trying to find another pair. good luck.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 02:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Had the same issue and solved it by installing Grip Puppies. They are a closed cell foam "addition" and are both comfortable and do a decent job of absorbing vibration. They're good value for the money.
+1, what Arion said!

Always trust your cape.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 07:54 AM

Garage
Heated grips. Kawasaki or Oxford.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 08:06 AM

Garage
Heated grips. Kawasaki or Oxford.

Even if you live in Florida, there will be a few days where you are out riding with thin gloves and a little heat will feel good. Or if you get caught in a cold rain.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 08:57 AM

I have the OXford heated grips on both the Versys and KLR and find them to be just about the right size. On the Enfield I have a pair of Supergrips and they are too small. So I ordered a pair of these puppies! Old School to say the least but they should do the trick.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I have the OXford heated grips on both the Versys and KLR and find them to be just about the right size. On the Enfield I have a pair of Supergrips and they are too small. So I ordered a pair of these puppies! Old School to say the least but they should do the trick.
I stopped by a Harley dealer in Columbus yesterday to see the Deluxe in the new colors. Very 50's looking. They said they were going to put on some white grips like those in your pic and a white seat. Bike will look killer. It should, they said they'd want $21k and change to drive it home afterward.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I stopped by a Harley dealer in Columbus yesterday to see the Deluxe in the new colors. Very 50's looking. They said they were going to put on some white grips like those in your pic and a white seat. Bike will look killer. It should, they said they'd want $21k and change to drive it home afterward.
$21K? That'll buy almost 3 650 Versys!

Or all three of my bikes with change left over...could it be I'm too cheap?

2012 650 Versys
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
+1, what Arion said!

Ditto to ATYC and Arion.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Or, maybe it's just that you're too smart
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieAG View Post
Or, maybe it's just that you're too smart

I've been called a lot of thing BUT not that!

2012 650 Versys
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

On my KLR (which "vibed" a... BIT...!), I put on bicycle grips which were foam and 'barrel-shaped'. Co$t about $5 a pair. Worked fine.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

That's the shape I have on my Bonneville, as you say old school....but comfy for me at least. A pair made for bar and weights should do the trick from somewhere.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Titty grips! That's what I had on my 1971 Norton Commando. They were sweet. Both cylinders go up and down at the same time on those, and it was like a huge single cylinder. You needed something soft to squeeze on if you lived through kicking it over without breaking your leg. It was fun except for buying parts for it weekly and working on it. Well, after thinking about it more, I can live without it

Last edited by kawdog; 08-30-2015 at 04:10 PM.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well I found and ordered a pair of Beston grips. I will need to trim the ends to take the bar end weights, hopefully a better fit to my hands.
Thanks for the input guys. My next quest....and thread....Renthal road bars?
Hopefully these are the grips. Beston Type GT Handlebar Grips 1" - Universal Motorcycles

Sorry wrong link http://britishbikebits.com/beston-gt...mph-bsa-norton

Last edited by KVBry; 08-31-2015 at 03:46 PM. Reason: wrong link
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 05:15 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
mine has heated grips that bake them a bit bulkier

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:

I like it and I suppose if it fit my riding style, I might plunk down the cash, but since it don't it would be a toy for special occasions and it's way too much money for that.

Anyway, I know your gear predilections, so I doubt "cheap" would be a primary reason not to quench yer thirst.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 07:29 PM

thanks for the beston link. i have one pair of sunlines left, wasn't sure what i was going to do after i use those.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode