SW Motech Crash Bar Installation and Oil Light - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SW Motech Crash Bar Installation and Oil Light

Yesterday I installed the SW Motech crash bar on my Versys. This morning I started a ride and noticed that my oil light was still on. I turned off the engine and got off the bike to investigate. For some dumb reason I got off on the non kick stand side and managed to bring down the bike. The crash bars worked great but they were not enough to protect the fairing from significant scratching. Back to the oil light: The oil level was near the bottom of the line so I topped it up. No signs of leaking or any oil on the floor in my garage.
Is there something that I could have done when I installed the crash bars to cause the light to stay on? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:40 AM
naz

firstly its not the oil light.its the fi light and it lights on when something is " wrong " in ecu readings.you may have overheating ,it may be an injection issue,maybe the l sensor on the muffler reads wrong,maybe its the battery,maybe its the thermostat in the coolant circuit.you should visit the dealer to check the fi .
by installing the crashbars i cant figure out how the fi light could be triggered in any way.
maybe accidentally you unpluged the O2 sensor on the airbox,or the exhaust sensor?
go inspect the engine carefully,unscrew the rear fairings to see if any electrical plug is off.
then go to the deal,thats my advice
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
I got off on the non kick stand side and managed to bring down the bike. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
Sorry I cant help with your light and don't know if you were actually checking your oil when you dropped your V.

Check out this thread for an easy way to keep tabs on your oil level. Costs about $1.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 AM
naz

hmm there is also an oil light...my bad.it has never bothered me the last two years thats why i thought you were talking about fi light,i had forgotten its existence !
the oil light reads if oil pressure drops.maybe you over tighten the crash bars and you deformed a metal to metal contact in engines body? its a tough matter imo,unscrew the bars to see if it lights off.
the oil pump also need to be checked,when did you last change your oil/oil filter?

Last edited by naz; 06-06-2010 at 09:59 AM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:57 AM

First off, there are two lights: oil and fuel injection. The oil light is to the left of the tach and the FI light is on the tach at the bottom. Which one is it, Fiddler ? Did the light go off when you put oil in it ?

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:03 AM
naz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetzel View Post
First off, there are two lights: oil and fuel injection. The oil light is to the left of the tach and the FI light is on the tach at the bottom. Which one is it, Fiddler ? Did the light go off when you put oil in it ?
cetzel it was my mistake,i thought he was talking about the fi light ,it was my assumption . fiddler clearly says the oil light, a "sneaky" light that never bothered me
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz View Post
cetzel it was my mistake,i thought he was talking about the fi light ,it was my assumption . fiddler clearly says the oil light, a "sneaky" light that never bothered me
Haha. Sorry didn't mean to make it sound like I was calling you out, Naz. I was wondering if he was confusing it, although the oil light does have the oil icon. Figured I'd get clarification.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

its definitely the oil light. The FI light comes on and goes off normally. All the other electricals seem to work okay. The oil was a bit down but not below the lower line in the window. I have added oil to bring it up to the top line but the oil light still remains on. The owners manual seems to indicate that it is okay for the light to be on at idle. Would you recommend taking it for a spin to see if it goes off? I used a torque wrench to tighten the crash bar bolts so I feel pretty confident that I haven't overtightened anything.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:04 AM

If it's on while at idle it could be faulty, but it could be an oil pressure problem. I would contact the dealer/mechanic. If it were my bike, I wouldn't do anything until I heard from my mechanic (especially if under warranty).

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 04:08 PM

The oil pressure sensor is on the right front underside of the engine just aft of the oil filter. It works by grounding out when the oil pressure is low.

Its wire passes to the rear of the motor and up the frame, under the tank, etc.

On my Versys, the wire passes right next to where the long bolt and spacer for the SWM crashbars are installed.

It would be my guess that when you installed your crashbars you caught that wire between the spacer and the frame and pinched it, shorting out the wire to the frame. This would cause the oil light to remain on constantly (when the key is on).

You can unplug the wire from the sensor, and if the oil light continues to be on, you have a short (not an oil pressure problem).

Michael
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

thanks Michael. I will check this out tomorrow.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Problem Solved

Michael was right. I had damaged the wire going to the oil pressure sensor when I installed the long bolt that joins the crash bars together. This caused a short that caused my oil light to stay on. I was able to solder the wires together and all works fine again. EXCEPT FOR THE EXCESSIVE VIBRATIONS, I AM TAKING THE CRASH BARS OFF IF I CANNOT FIND A SOLUTION!!!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 06:28 PM

Fiddler- I noticed some vibrations too with the sw motech crash bars. (not much though)

Loosen up the u-bolts as much as you can so that they are barely on there. The vibes go away. So far they have not spun off...if they do, whatever, I'll go buy new u-bolts and nuts.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
Michael was right.
Man I love the resources we have on this forum! Bravo Michael
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 11:33 PM

Regarding vibration with these bars...it was quite bad on my Versys. Others have not had the problem.

I found that the looser I left the U-bolts on the frame tubes, the less vibration I had. I ultimately replaced the nuts on the u-bolts with nylock style (in place of the spring-steel-lock nuts that came with the bars).

I then only tightened them enough that they just touched the crash bars. Effectively, I have zero torque on the nuts. The nylock keeps them on. The nylock nuts were the same 13 mm hex so I was able to use the standard plastic nut covers with them. These nuts were a little shorter in height so it allowed me to not have to tighten them very far to engage the nylon material.

I further added strips of rubber between the u-bolts and the plastic frame covers. This step might not be necessary, but I put them in as part of experimenting, and decided to leave them.

But the important this is to not tighten the nuts at all. This made the vibration go away on my V.

Hope that helps (again?).

Michael
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 08:25 AM

I was pretty close to ordering some SW Motech crash bars but now I'm not so sure. Has any one else had the vibration issue and solved it in any way other than leaving the U bolts loose? I would think they should be snug to do their job effectively.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 08:28 AM

Solving issues like the oil light problem Michael remedied is just another reason this is such a great forum. The only issue I have is cataloging all these issues and fixes in my "data bank"?
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleeoop View Post
I was pretty close to ordering some SW Motech crash bars but now I'm not so sure. Has any one else had the vibration issue and solved it in any way other than leaving the U bolts loose? I would think they should be snug to do their job effectively.
No problem with mine. Didn't have to leave it loose or anything. No additional vibrations whatsoever.

Yeah, snug is about right. No gorillas need apply.

I think they got it right and people are getting it wrong when installing. The U-Bolt mount comes with a plastic isolator sleeve. I think this is to mitigate vibration. I think it also allows a certain amount of flexibility in a crash. No need to transfer ALL of the force directly to the engine or frame. More like a progressive shock absorber. The crash bars are, after all, the consumable item in a crash. Not being an engineer, this may be speculation on my part. Maybe someone who is could chime in with their professional opinion.

V-Zee

Last edited by VerstehenZee; 06-11-2010 at 08:50 AM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
No problem with mine. Didn't have to leave it loose or anything. No additional vibrations whatsoever.

I think they got it right and people are getting it wrong when installing...

V-Zee
I'd like to know what I did 'wrong' when installing, if anyone would care to enlighten me.

Some people are reporting vibration, some aren't. I think it varies on individual bikes. I ran about a dozen experimental runs, trying different torques on the mounting bolts, rubber inserts, etc. and the only thing that worked for me was backing off the ubolts. This solution worked for me and for others. I'm not concerned about the tightness of those bolts in a crash; I'd rather have the crashbars move than have them direct the force into the frame.

All crashes are different. Crashbars are mostly useful in 'drops'. Crashes at speed are a crap shoot.

So, I'm happy with my SWM bars, even though they needed fixing. If anyone comes up with the 'correct' installation that precludes vibration, I'm listening...

Michael
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 03:03 PM
naz

there might be no such thing as correct installation.
you got 2 pistons going up and down and some axles reving including shafts chains.you got a complex of moving masses producing vibes .the vibes are not constant,its in non linear analogy with rpm.you have different critical frequencies in every bike even if its the same brand/model.the critical frequencies are mostly expiramentaly resolved than predicted in such complex packages as a bike.you have a specific weight,your riding position varies,you got installed different stuff on the bike.t
i am trying to say that its a not so easy to resolve matter.
with the swmotech crash bars i have noticed in photos that they mount on the frame AND on the engine simultaneously.i would not put such thing on my bike for the simple reason that the mounting kawa calculated for the engine on the frame is very specific .the forces and the vibes are supposed to pass to the frame on the specified connecting points .this points provide the minimum total force and absorb/diminish every self-strengthen frequencies.my english is not so good to explain you but i think you can get a picture.now with the crash bars you changed the way these forces transferred on the frame.that would be my opinion.if i ever installed crash bars they would mount on the frame and not on frame and engine at the same time...it overrides the factory technical blueprints ,and when this happens the result is 90% disappointing

Last edited by naz; 06-12-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode