Does the windshield hurt more than help? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does the windshield hurt more than help?

I notice more wind and buffeting on the Versys than any bike I have ridden. I had a 1975 Honda CL360 with NO windshield, and did not get near as much wind in the face. It is possible that the tiny windshield on the V is simply directing more wind right at my head?

2010 Versys - 2007 Honda Goldwing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:08 AM

Sounds like an experiment is in order!
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseman View Post
I notice more wind and buffeting on the Versys than any bike I have ridden. I had a 1975 Honda CL360 with NO windshield, and did not get near as much wind in the face. It is possible that the tiny windshield on the V is simply directing more wind right at my head?
I am 5' 8" and I ride the 2010 as well. I have exactly the opposite opinion. I have absolutely no wind at my helmet. Even my regular glasses (inside my 3/4 helmet w/ face shield) don't wiggle anymore as on previous bikes.

I suggest trying a different position on the windshield. There are three positions according to page 48 of your owners manual. Page 48 also instructs on how to adjust.

Each change should affect airflow.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:34 AM

....Yes yes yes....it's Dr. Science time again here at the Versys forum

But a bit-o-buffeting has gotta beat having all the bugs die on your faceshield..don't it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

I am 6' 2" tall and have tried all 3 windscreen positions. Hard to believe that Kawasaki would invest the time and energy to come up with an adjustable windscreen with such limited options.

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 AM

Do not know about the '10 but my '08 stock shield was the most miserable excuse for wind protection I have encountered in 54 years on 2 wheels.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:58 AM

@ 5'11 I went [homemade screens] large, small, in between. To really work I found you had to go "capatin sensible" big or small. In fact, none works pretty well too but I ended up stock, flipped upside down.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

All I know is that on my old 360, I did not experience nearly as much buffeting as I do on the V. I am looking at the V-Stream aftermarket windshield. I have one on my Goldwing and am pleased.

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 AM

I have the V stream, better than stock (anything would be) but am looking for something better; maybe Mike's grand touring??
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcctx View Post
I have the V stream, better than stock (anything would be) but am looking for something better; maybe Mike's grand touring??
Do you think the V-Stream would be more effective if you could raise/lower it a few more inches?

post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Kawasaki MRA and is BS , need something higher to get some wind off my helmet.

Still looking out for a good windshied. Might go Macck Dad"s way. Looks good on the bike.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:46 AM

Hey - I am 6'1" and was getting killed by the wind. Bought the madstad bracket, and found that the angle was more imortant than the height for me. I have it about 50 degrees (givi 405st) and buffeting is much improved. Still not smooth, but it is far far better than before.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa714 View Post
Hey - I am 6'1" and was getting killed by the wind. Bought the madstad bracket, and found that the angle was more imortant than the height for me. I have it about 50 degrees (givi 405st) and buffeting is much improved. Still not smooth, but it is far far better than before.
+1 The Madstad is the answer.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 02:29 PM

This really seems to be a common complaint with bikes that have modest windscreens. I went from a Ninja 250R to a Yamaha FZ6 and was surprised at the turbulence noise on the FZ6. The little Ninja did not provide much wind protection but at least it put your head and shoulders in clean air.

I added a Puig screen to the Yamaha and that helps a bit but things are still quieter if I stand on the pegs. Huge windscreens can block all the air, even the wind you NEED on hot\humid days. On the other hand, going naked can wear you out on long roads at high speed. I guess you just have to pick the appropriate compromise.

Tim
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 02:38 PM

At 6'0/33", my head's far enough up there that buffeting hasn't been much of a problem with either the stock screen or the standard MRA Vario, except in high winds or semi wakes. Noise around the helmet base is a different story. Take off the screen, and both problems vanish. Now you just have to deal with wind blast on your torso. Still looking for the solution, and once the funds are available we'll give the Madstad a shot.

Interestingly enough, with or without screen, if I lean aaalll the way back with my arms stretched out completely, I find clean air. Go figure. Could be the mirrors.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 03:42 PM

It seems over 6' seems to be the issue. Most of the threads started by riders being tossed about (me included) are at least 6 foot or better. I believe it is the overall torso position, arm length issue. The V is an all 'rounder - it is never going to be as quiet as a dedicated touring model with full fairing and large windscreen. But with the madstad I've gotten it to the point that I can go 75mph on the highway comfortably, little buffeting and some wind noise... so I take the compromise and wait for the next twistie to put big smiles on my face.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 05:54 PM

Don't know much about it but would the lowering kit help? Does it lower just the rear end or does it end up lowering the whole thing? If it's just the back end it might be enough to get me out of the wind with my Givi.

Blue 2008, mirror extenders, Givi windshield, side sliders (came with bike), seat mod, 16T front sprocket, Ram GPS mount.
I work weird hours, if I don't reply, I will eventually, depending on the schedule. Also Ham operator VE5PS.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
+1 The Madstad is the answer.
+1 on the madstad tilted back just a bit.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.

Last edited by StonedGP; 06-07-2010 at 06:23 AM.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 07:37 PM

Something I have noticed...

I ride off road alot and while doing so I stand up probably 50% of the time. Yes even in long enduros, I stand alot. I only sit to rest my legs in the slow sections. So I often will stand while riding the V, even on the highway for a few minutes at a time just to stretch the legs. It probably looks quite silly to the cars, but I never much cared for what others thought. Anyhow, when I stand I find my head in cleaner air than while seated. Has me thinking... all my years of riding dual sports I never even knew what buffeting was. Just noisy clean air that gets fierce behind an 18 wheeler.

I just mounted Mikes Demo shield for a few days of testing, but I think once I take it off I'm going to try it without any shield and see what happens.

But to be honest I really don't have alot of complaints with the stock shield. But then again I find the stock seat quite comfortable too and recently did a 450 mile day with 9.5hours of saddle time. I do ride alot of mountain bike so I guess my butt is sorta conditioned.

Mike
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseman View Post
Do you think the V-Stream would be more effective if you could raise/lower it a few more inches?
Mine has been at all standard position and is now on 4 inch risers with a filler on the bottom. I am a bit over 5'9" (after losing over an inch in the last 20 years) but am the long torso type so sit a bike more like a 6 footer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode