2Likes
  • 2 Post By bwwoodard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Still love BT 023's

Have been running Bridgestones BT023's since 2010 on versys and running them on my ninja 1000 since 2012 and still have found no reason to change yet. Bit like if it aint broke why fix it.

Front lasted 20,000km and rear 10,000km, still had some life left but only for limited kms so as we approach spring time for new shoes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Same here. These are the best bang for the buck out there. I use them on all my bikes.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 06:08 PM

Garage
Not being a smartarse but I get better mileage out of the Michelins. Having said that it looks like the 023's are cheaper so it probably works out about the same.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Not being a smartarse but I get better mileage out of the Michelins. Having said that it looks like the 023's are cheaper so it probably works out about the same.
Probably with the 023s I know what they can do in the wet, dry and track conditions, NZ road can be very hard on tyres especially some country roads and west coast of south island does put a lot of wear when riding there.

Im hard on throttle and brake which also would increase wear, The Ninja does cut em out a bit quicker but it is 138hp and has a nice 190 width rear, front is same size as V.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
BT 016& BT 023 were the best. Now trying out the S series...so far so good.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 03:49 PM

Garage
Being a new Versys owner I can only speak of the 023,s fitted to my bike by the previous owner. And the news is good, I ride in all weathers and can confirm the feel from front and back is great. I not quite on the edge of tyre but nearly as the confidence grows with both bike and tyres we're nearly there. I,d say they are a great combination.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 06:49 PM

I was impressed with the feel of the BT-30's on the V1K, no idea how they will wear of course. And they are the same price as the Michelin PR4's (here anyway)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 10:19 PM

I've been looking for a spare set of tires when the Conti Motions need replacing. I saw where Bridgestone is running a $35 rebate per tire, for the BT023, through the end of October. So, I ordered a set with the $70 rebate filed! Read good things about them, looking forward to trying them.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 10:46 PM

I just received two sets from Jake Wilson at $131/set after the rebate. Wowzer.

The fronts they shipped are two years old, the rears about one year, FYI. Not an issue for me as this looks like a 25 to 30 thousand mile year and I expect at least 20 thou next year. The first set will be going on very soon. Glad to hear the good reviews.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwoodard View Post
I've been looking for a spare set of tires when the Conti Motions need replacing. I saw where Bridgestone is running a $35 rebate per tire, for the BT023, through the end of October. So, I ordered a set with the $70 rebate filed! Read good things about them, looking forward to trying them.
I've run 7 sets of tires on the 2 Versys I've owned. In my experience premium tires are worth the extra $ because they last longer, wear much more evenly which gives you more consistent handling through their life cycle, and grip a whole lot more consistently and securely, so the money you save on cheap tires is not really a savings.

My last set of tires was the Conti Motions. In comparison to the other tires I've used they were the worst of the bad. My big complaint with them was the rear squirming in the wet or when the tempature dropped, usually without much of a lean angle. The lack of cold weather (~40F-50F) traction was unnerving. The rear also flat spotted fairly early on. Because of the erratic grip they offered I found I was not riding as confidently as I should have been.

If I was going to recommend a tire it would be either the Metzeller Roadtech 01 or the Michelin PR4, for road tires.

The BT23's were superseded by the BT30's I think last year. Be sure to check the date of manufacture if you are buying BT23's as they are likely to be at least a year old and possibly 2-3.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-16-2017 at 12:31 AM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...My last set of tires was the Conti Motions. In comparison to the other tires I've used they were the worst of the bad. My big complaint with them was the rear squirming in the wet or when the tempature dropped, usually without much of a lean angle. The lack of cold weather (~40F-50F) traction was unnerving. The rear also flat spotted fairly early on. Because of the erratic grip they offered I found I was not riding as confidently as I should have been....
I've run several pairs of ContiMotions and had pretty good luck w/ them. I run 36psiF, 42R.

What pressures do you run?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 07:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
I've run 7 sets of tires on the 2 Versys I've owned. In my experience premium tires are worth the extra $ because they last longer, wear much more evenly which gives you more consistent handling through their life cycle, and grip a whole lot more consistently and securely, so the money you save on cheap tires is not really a savings.

My last set of tires was the Conti Motions. In comparison to the other tires I've used they were the worst of the bad. My big complaint with them was the rear squirming in the wet or when the tempature dropped, usually without much of a lean angle. The lack of cold weather (~40F-50F) traction was unnerving. The rear also flat spotted fairly early on. Because of the erratic grip they offered I found I was not riding as confidently as I should have been.

If I was going to recommend a tire it would be either the Metzeller Roadtech 01 or the Michelin PR4, for road tires.

The BT23's were superseded by the BT30's I think last year. Be sure to check the date of manufacture if you are buying BT23's as they are likely to be at least a year old and possibly 2-3.
I'm on my second set of Metzeler Roadtech 01's and absolutely love them..I had a set of PR4s previously and had no complaints but I do I prefer the feel of the Metzlers.

I think BT 023's came stock on this bike and I did not like them at all... but we are all different and prefer different things......

2016 green V1K
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 09:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I've run several pairs of ContiMotions and had pretty good luck w/ them. I run 36psiF, 42R.

What pressures do you run?
I was running 32 front, 36 rear which is what the manual recommends. 190lb rider with no significant weight from luggage and no passenger. I sometimes go a few psi higher in the rear if I know I am going to be carrying a passenger. Going higher reduces the contact patch and traction. It also gives a rougher ride although lighter steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosshairs View Post
I'm on my second set of Metzeler Roadtech 01's and absolutely love them..I had a set of PR4s previously and had no complaints but I do I prefer the feel of the Metzlers.

I think BT 023's came stock on this bike and I did not like them at all... but we are all different and prefer different things......
My original intent was to install a set of Metzeler Roadtech 01s this summer however I was only able to get the front and had to settle for the PR4 in the rear so I am now running two different brands of tires on the bike. Despite this the improvement in feel and cornering stability is phenomenal over previous Conti Motions. I have yet to experience any loss of traction as I did frequently, even when new, with the Conti Motions. In particular the Conti Motions liked to suddenly slip in the rear during slow speed corners with the bike leaned over which was a bit unnerving - usually in cold weather or wet weather or over tar strips or painted lines. I've never experienced this kind of slipperiness with other tires. I ended up ditching the Conti Motions before they reached the wear bars. That said I usually feel an improvement with new tires as the rear profile is rounder with a new rear over over one that is flat spotted in the center.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-16-2017 at 09:44 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 09:56 PM

I appreciate the heads up, I'll check the build date on the 023's. As for $$$ to spend on premium tires, that's a hard lump for me to swallow. My riding style provides for rear tire replacement ~2,500 miles (no burnouts, no rev limiter...just like corners and to utilize engine braking...also like powering out of curves). Front tire is usually close for replacement then too, as the sides start to wear quicker than the center.

I used to think I needed (or wanted) premium rubber for the street, then I rode KLRs and other low horsepower thumpers for close to 5 years. I learned much more about riding (and especially control) in those 5 years, than the previous 20 years of street riding. I found that I didn't have to the widest/stickiest rubber, to manage curves effectively. In fact, it was no problem for the KLRs or other thumpers to outperform sportbikes on tight roads. It's pretty surprising how a cheap/skinny dual sport tire can perform on pavement.

In my years of street riding, I've found that identifying, avoiding and/or reacting to hazardous road conditions is more important than tire compound (for me). It's no secret that things like sand, gravel, oil, coolant, tree leaves, water, dirt, tobacco leaves, and ladders (yes, witnessed multiple fall from the back of a truck without a closed tailgate) are greater concern for traction than what type of rubber compound I'm running. I guess I've just learned to adapt while minimizing risk in my 40+ years of riding.

If I hit the lottery, I may pony up and drink the koolaid. I read that a lot of people like the PR4.

Quote:

onewizard and quexpress like this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've had the BT023s, the Q3s, and the Metzelers on my V. I ride the V hard and do lots of miles. Never should there ever be a doubt on the tires that are produced now a days.

I got 20k MILES out of the BT023 front tire. Incredible.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
I was running 32 front, 36 rear which is what the manual recommends. 190lb rider with no significant weight from luggage and no passenger. I sometimes go a few psi higher in the rear if I know I am going to be carrying a passenger. Going higher reduces the contact patch and traction. It also gives a rougher ride although lighter steering....
I went to 36F and 42R on the advice of the mechanic where I got my FIRST V650 in '08, then later read that "jdrocks" uses those pressures as well, as well as a LOT of others (and NO 'airing-down' in the tough stuff).

I ran my Bandit 1200, my KLR650, as well as my Yamaha SR500, and ALL the tires I've run on my Vs (including knobbies!) at 36F and 42R. I HAVE dragged footpegs (on the '08), and am VERY happy w/ the handling/ cornering of my Vs.

Suggest you give it a try - you can always reduce the pressures again IF you are not happy.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 02:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I went to 36F and 42R on the advice of the mechanic where I got my FIRST V650 in '08, then later read that "jdrocks" uses those pressures as well, as well as a LOT of others (and NO 'airing-down' in the tough stuff).

I ran my Bandit 1200, my KLR650, as well as my Yamaha SR500, and ALL the tires I've run on my Vs (including knobbies!) at 36F and 42R. I HAVE dragged footpegs (on the '08), and am VERY happy w/ the handling/ cornering of my Vs.

Suggest you give it a try - you can always reduce the pressures again IF you are not happy.
I've tried higher pressures a few times. Much higher than stock pressures and the bike feels more jittery and not securely planted in a turn to me although steering gets lighter as pressure increases. That said I typically run on rougher pavement and like to take turns at higher speeds sometimes. I've found there is a benefit to adding extra pressure in the rear though for a passenger or even a fully loaded bike but not when it is just me on the bike. I typically air up to 33/37 because there is some air loss when I remove the screw on hose of my compressor and then recheck every week. It usually looses a 1psi a week. I also have my suspension set fairly firm so any reduction in shock absorption of the tires that comes with a pressure increase is readily felt with my suspension setup. As long as you are not exceeding the MAX PSI number printed on the side of the tire you should be fine with higher pressures, guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-18-2017 at 02:40 AM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Excellent Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwoodard View Post
I appreciate the heads up, I'll check the build date on the 023's. As for $$$ to spend on premium tires, that's a hard lump for me to swallow. My riding style provides for rear tire replacement ~2,500 miles (no burnouts, no rev limiter...just like corners and to utilize engine braking...also like powering out of curves). Front tire is usually close for replacement then too, as the sides start to wear quicker than the center.

I used to think I needed (or wanted) premium rubber for the street, then I rode KLRs and other low horsepower thumpers for close to 5 years. I learned much more about riding (and especially control) in those 5 years, than the previous 20 years of street riding. I found that I didn't have to the widest/stickiest rubber, to manage curves effectively. In fact, it was no problem for the KLRs or other thumpers to outperform sportbikes on tight roads. It's pretty surprising how a cheap/skinny dual sport tire can perform on pavement.

In my years of street riding, I've found that identifying, avoiding and/or reacting to hazardous road conditions is more important than tire compound (for me). It's no secret that things like sand, gravel, oil, coolant, tree leaves, water, dirt, tobacco leaves, and ladders (yes, witnessed multiple fall from the back of a truck without a closed tailgate) are greater concern for traction than what type of rubber compound I'm running. I guess I've just learned to adapt while minimizing risk in my 40+ years of riding.

If I hit the lottery, I may pony up and drink the koolaid. I read that a lot of people like the PR4.
First I have been using Pilot Roads for many years, partly because of the better tire compound but mainly because the V takes a bit of a odd ball tire, so availability wasy key, second was the wear , all my PR tires average about 15,000 to 18,000 KM front and 11,000 to 14,000 rear , in fact I am at 17,000 on my OEM 2015 Dunlop front.

So my son was over for our Thanksgiving , he has a Honda 919 with PR-3 on it, I was commenting that with my heated gear, grips etc., that I could ride easily to 32'F / 0'C , and be warm, and this is where he strongly disagreed. He mentioned that it is recommended to put on the snow tires once it goes below 8'C, that the tire compund doesn't grip the road at those temperatures, my comment was that it wasn't the tires but how you ride. Last year on one of my rides I started out and it was 6'C , the overnight temp had been below 0, on my ride I came across about 200 meters of black ice, at those temperatures I ride different and I am a little less aggressive in my engine braking , unlike the ABS brakes, engine braking can and will break traction if you aren't in tune with your bike and road conditions. How do I know this? Well , I always test my bike and my abilities, not always is it evident though, as my last low speed crash, was primarily due not being focused, in reality I should have taken 10 minutes after the bad phone call, and then started out, even at 67 I continue to learn. The people on this forum have a vast knowledge, for instance I will never put knobbies on my Versys, nothing to do with the bike but due to the fact I gave up dual sport bikes in 2008, I know my limitations, they aren't what they were in 1980.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode