My insurance decision.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My insurance decision..

Hi everyone,

Sorry about fleshing this topic out so but I'm that strapped financialy & need all the help I can get. I've chosen 2 do just liability for $200.00 a year. Please give me your feedback on my decision. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 02:32 PM

Do what you gotta do. IMO, get more coverage as soon as you can. Also, where are you? Local laws may make a bit of a difference.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugerider View Post
Do what you gotta do. IMO, get more coverage as soon as you can. Also, where are you? Local laws may make a bit of a difference.
hugrider, thank you. I'm in Phoenix, Az. I just get so confused with the prices. Both Prog & gieco said full coverage goes for 2 grand! but that also covers my bike if someone steals it. Most people say they spend no more than $500 a year but I don't know what to add on to the $200. Everyone please give me some feedback. Thanks

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 02:50 PM

After thinking about this some more, I have to ask, how much would better coverage cost? $200/yr is only $17/mo. Even $600/yr is $50/mo. Make some sacrifices, go out one night less every month, bring your lunch to work, etc... Find a way to get better coverage.

EDIT: So this is more of a "I am willing to spend a bit more but don't know what to get" type question. gotcha.

Last edited by hugerider; 07-24-2008 at 02:52 PM. Reason: I'm slow.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

hugreider, that's right. I am willing 2 spend up 2 say $500 a year which seems to b average but am asking u the public if u were me what specifically would u add aside for the 200 liability.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 04:19 PM

Hey guys, I was a little surprised how much insurance was on the Versys. I'm paying $550/year with Progressive. It's full coverage, but compared with the $100/year I paid for my KLR250 I was sticker-shocked. Don't skimp on the coverage....this is....after all....a 2-wheeled vehicle in a world of Suburbans.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aok3210 View Post
Hey guys, I was a little surprised how much insurance was on the Versys. I'm paying $550/year with Progressive. It's full coverage, but compared with the $100/year I paid for my KLR250 I was sticker-shocked. Don't skimp on the coverage....this is....after all....a 2-wheeled vehicle in a world of Suburbans.
aok good lord where do u live?! Here in Phoenix, Az Full coverage is 2 grand a year. Are u sure u got full. Will your agent replace your bike if it's stolen?!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 07:44 PM

I know where you're coming from.... I can replace the bike completely for 5 years of full coverage insurance. I went with pl and pd (minimum required) and a good alarm system. It'll page me if it gets triggered and I can deal with the situation myself instead of hassling claims and deductables and depreciation etc etc etc. and a good lock too btw.lol
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 08:19 PM

FYI, if you're financing the motorcycle, you have to have full coverage. Shop some other companies, that sounds like an expensive rate on a light-weight touring/adventure bike.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 PM

That's very expensive!

Are you young, a new rider, have lots of accidents or tickets or something?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 PM

I know that Nationwide is not known for motorcycle insurance, but I am telling you now, they have excellent coverage rates. They offer just a motorcycle policy. I have full coverage, everything you can imagine, and 24 hour roadside assistance for $399 a year. Call Nationwide and at least get a quote. You will be amazed. I know that I was.

I can't help I am not on of the Sheeple.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 10:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to scaryfast777 Send a message via Skype™ to scaryfast777
Hey fortbethel. I am insured with State Farm with Full Coverage for $480.00/year. If you are just going to keep liability I would ask to see if you could at least add uninsured/underinsured coverage to your minimum coverage policy. It basically protects you from the "other" guy. Also check to see what, if you have other vehicles with the same company, your policy for those autos cover. Most of the time, some of the coverage that you pay for on another vehicle will cover all of your vehicles under the same policy without having to essentially pay twice (its transferrable when needed). For example: My wifes car is strictly liability but, we have uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage on her car because it saves roughly $150.00/year when compared to what it would cost on any other vehicle we have, plus, it covers all of our vehicles with the same policy. Wierd huh! Alot of insurance companies neglect to tell you this in order to get you to overpay for something you really don't need to pay for. Most insurance companies would ask you to pay for an extra bit of coverage like this on all of your vehicles when you really don't have to. Depending on what insurance agency you go with, I think you may be surprised how close to full coverage this can come without the price penalty. I'm not really familiar with other insurance companies and what they offer as I have been with State Farm for many years and they are all I know. But I would at least check into it.
Hope this helps.

-Scaryfast777

The Secret To Creativity Is knowing How To Hide Your Sources. -Albert Einstein

Last edited by scaryfast777; 07-24-2008 at 10:45 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 11:14 PM

I've been watching your posts for a while, I too got some crazy high quotes. I ended up with StateFarm, $455/yr full coverage. They go by the year and cc's,
the other quotes started low but skyrocketed when they entered the vin. no. into the quote,(Progressive was over $2000/yr). Seems the vin. being stamped on a frame, that by all counts, could have just as easily become a Ninja, carries on a sport bike lineage.

One thing to ponder, when I was 19 yrs old I had a wreck, MY FAULT!!! I was fully insured.........they paid off the full policy coverage amount and I was still responsible for a balance of $33,000.00

Just don't settle for just getting the cheapest, get the best coverage you can afford.

Just my 2 cents
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:59 AM

Check with many insurance companies. I stumbled upon Shelter insurance for $151 per yr for full coverage in St. Louis Missouri.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 12:24 PM

I am with progressive because we had our cars insured with them. I am paying right now $1200 a year. Way to much!!! After checking this thread I just called Nationwide and they gave me a quote of 1/2 of what Progressive is. Only $643 a year. WOW I am going to call Progressive now and let them know they are losing my business.

I see cheaper rates in this thread but I guess Phoenix is a little higher on their rating scale. Thanks everyone for providing you payment & company info. This forum is saving me money so I can buy more stuff!
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 12:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to archer183
State farm here, full coverage, 33$/month, 500$ deductible, uninsured motorist, all the good stuff
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! You all have been so encouraging & not a single one of u gave me attitude with my insurance concerns. I am learning so much & with all of your help I know I'll eventually decide confidently. Whoever created this forum/site thank u 4 the forum.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:46 PM

I'm in North TX. Full coverage for me was under $200/yr with McGraw insurance.

http://ridewithmcgraw.com/Net.Data/Ride.ndm/motorcycle?
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazhat View Post
I'm in North TX. Full coverage for me was under $200/yr with McGraw insurance.

http://ridewithmcgraw.com/Net.Data/Ride.ndm/motorcycle?

I just called them to get a quote and man they are even cheaper for me then Nationwide. I got a quote of $397 per year full coverage! Looks like I am switching again... :-P

I really am starting to love this place!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

IT'S OFFICIAL! I"VE DECIDED! I'm going with, 'Nationwide' I'm happy with $440 a year. Many thanks 2 EVERYONE 4 their help & feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode