3Likes
  • 2 Post By silviefox
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Tire wear - my left butt cheek must be bigger

I've had my PR3 on the rear since October 2011 - probably somewhere close to 9000 miles or so. Can't find my record for that tire change. Anyway take a look at the pictures, you can see that The tire is worn considerably more on the left side than the right side, with some belt showing on the left side. I'm wondering what caused the wear, I am pretty meticulous when tightening the chain to make sure I have it aligned. I am not so good at checking and maintaining tire pressure though.

I'll have a new PR4 put on tomorrow, and might be able to figure out from the shop the mileage when I put the last tire on.

Any ideas on what caused the weird wear??

[URL=http://s737.photobucket.

'09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
or you just belong in nascar because you make alot of left turns
bwwoodard and saddlebag like this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
A left hand turn through an intersection is always much longer than a right hand turn. Also roundabouts are always counter clockwise. There is also a slight crown on most roads that has us turning slightly left to run straight ...at least in countries that drive on the right side of the road.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
caused by rising on the wrong side of the road... RHS.

I had the same issue with riding on the LHS of the road:
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
There is also a slight crown on most roads
this.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 05:19 AM

Garage
I have read the PR3's have a bit of a reputation for strange wear. I personally had PR2's and PR4's and they were excellent, although having said that I am yet to wear out any PR4's.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post
I am pretty meticulous when tightening the chain to make sure I have it aligned.
Are you only referring to your swingarm alignment marks? If so, it likely is misaligned, as most are significantly so... Mine for example needs to be ahead on the right by half the distance between 2 lines (2.5mm) to be perfectly aligned. It feels a whole lot better since, and the tires aren't struggling nearly as much.

Last edited by invader; 08-26-2015 at 08:07 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I agree with all the practical reasons, but now am concerned about the alignment issue and will have to check on that. With regards to your question in the thread header, I can quantify data about a woman having different size breasts (close personal inspections), but have no experience or interest in learning about your potential anatomical deviation.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Are you only referring to your swingarm alignment marks? If so, it likely is misaligned, as most are significantly so... Mine for example needs to be ahead on the right by half the distance between 2 lines (2.5mm) to be perfectly aligned. It feels a whole lot better since, and the tires aren't struggling nearly as much.
I've used string method/alignment marks on prior tires, and had no problems with wear. I've used an alignment tool and/or swingarm measurements (remove swingarm cover and measure from center of pivot to center of rear axle) with this PR3. Popping the covers off the swingarms takes a little time with the crash bars, but I think I get a pretty accurate measurement that way.

I am leaning more towards substantially underinflated tire. It's my achilles heel, even moreso than chain maintenance. I checked the pressure before I took the wheel in for a new tire today, and it was at 28psi. Guess I'll try to be more proactive since I have a new PR4 - and a newer chain. :-)

'09 Versys
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 01:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Guess I'll try to be more proactive since I have a new PR4 - and a newer chain. :-)
That usually works out cheaper .... and safer
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
There are a lot of myths, rumors, and opinions regarding tire wear. One of them is the road crown. If there was enough crown to wear a tire like that, car drivers would have to apply constant pressure to the left to go down a road straight.

Do a google search if you want to learn more.
saddlebag likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 10:05 AM

I just replaced the OEM set of tires with some Shinko Ravens, read some good reviews that they are a good value. Also noticed some unusual tire wear patterns. Initially I had a flat spot in the center of the rear, chalked that up to inflation issue, and not enough curves, but center flat would indicate high inflation, I doubt that. But once removing tires it was quite noticable that the left side of both front and rear exhibited greater wear, would would seem to discount the wheel alignment theory many have stated. This was about 6800 miles.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Any ideas on what caused the weird wear??
If I were you, I'd write a rap song bragging about how my wallet is so fat my bike rides crooked down the road. Have Niki Minaj do a video showing one large ass cheek hanging off the back of a Busa. The millennials will throw money at you. Next, propose a similar boast to Trump and you'll get old, angry white people's money too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode