2014 Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

2014 Versys

Some of you guys that have been on this site for awhile might remember me, I rode my 2008 Versys to Tierra del Fuego and then sold the Versys with 60,000 hard miles on it. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...road-ends.html
I flew back up to my home in Oregon a few days ago and am now planning to ride back down to Peru on a KLR this fall. That said, I noticed that Power Yamaha in Sublimity, Oregon is selling new leftover 2014 Versys's for $4999, Power does not charge for freight/setup and there is no sales tax in Oregon (great dealer I've bought five motos from them). I'm thinking I would rather ride back down with fuel injection and tubeless tires, the Versys would be a better choice for me than the KLR.
I had some mechanical issues with the 2008 (radiator fan/stator) and I'm wondering if Kawasaki addressed those issues with the 2014 Versys. Is there anyone here with a lot of miles on their '13 or '14 Versys that could comment on any reliability issues? Thanks in advance.

Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBD34 View Post
Some of you guys that have been on this site for awhile might remember me, I rode my 2008 Versys to Tierra del Fuego and then sold the Versys with 60,000 hard miles on it. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...road-ends.html
I flew back up to my home in Oregon a few days ago and am now planning to ride back down to Peru on a KLR this fall. That said, I noticed that Power Yamaha in Sublimity, Oregon is selling new leftover 2014 Versys's for $4999, Power does not charge for freight/setup and there is no sales tax in Oregon (great dealer I've bought five motos from them). I'm thinking I would rather ride back down with fuel injection and tubeless tires, the Versys would be a better choice for me than the KLR.
I had some mechanical issues with the 2008 (radiator fan/stator) and I'm wondering if Kawasaki addressed those issues with the 2014 Versys. Is there anyone here with a lot of miles on their '13 or '14 Versys that could comment on any reliability issues? Thanks in advance.

Gary
Seems thats a world wide deal I paid the equivalent of Dollars 5025.

Gone Insane, back in 5mins.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 09:22 AM

Small world...That is where I got my new 2014: $4999...
Of course the fast color was in stock so that made me smile. Jeff was a great guy to work with. I found the ad online (cycle trader) but they would not "really" verify the price over the phone or via text...

Jeff just stated "yes, we have the bike for you, come on down"...I was hesitant because this was a $1000 savings from anything up in the Portland area...and the low miles Versys on CL were going for $4600+

I grab the cash, loaded up the trailer, and headed south. All went well...was in and out in 35 minutes.

Good luck on your next trip..I can't help with the long-term issues as I'm only at 1600 miles. However, from reading, the stator issue may be casued by heat. Keep the oil level up to full and common sense says this will help. Book reads 2 qt of oil but it's really 2+...Others may be of more help.

I'll add, the KLR is a better "goat road" bike than the Versys...not sure of road conditions south of US but something to consider. For good KLR advice check us out and KLR.net

Pics of course:

and did someone mention KLR? I beleive they did...my '06

Last edited by outdoorgb; 08-25-2015 at 09:26 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Some of you guys that have been on this site for awhile might remember me...
Gary
Gary! SO-O-O good to hear from you again - you HAVE been missed (by ME, for sure!), and quite a few of us have run Tourances in the same 130/80 and 150/70 sizes yours 'wore', and getting EXCEPTIONAL mileages.

Seems the "new" Shinko E-705s are as good, for much cheaper.

...on your choice, but Dave's right - GO Versys again!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:50 PM

good to hear from you again gary. you gave us some good tales and turned a lot of us on to tourance tires! if your riding down the pacific coast of mexico in nov., i have a nice place you stay. ride safe.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all of your for the input. JD, Eddie & Marc, great to see that you all are still here. JD, I'll definitely go with Tourances again and will probably carry a stator with me, as always I appreciate your sage advice. Eddie, stop by on your trip back to Arizona this fall, I don't think I'm too far out of you way, your welcome here anytime. Marc, I'm riding the west coast of Mexico but have no idea when I'll leave, if all goes as planned I'll cross at Nogales then ride down to Hermosillo, Charito is going to fly up from Peru and will meet me there. Yes, two-up to Peru, there is a new ferry from Panama to Columbia, so the trip will be relatively easy. Again, good to hear from all of you.

Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...and will probably carry a stator with me, as always I appreciate your sage advice....
Gary
Gary - check the "sticky" on BURNED STATORS. Probably BETTER to update your R/R to a Polaris (many thanks to 'onewizard' for HIS research!), which I plan for BOTH my '08 in AZ, and my new '15 in BC, then your stator should last FOREVER!

Quote:
...Eddie, stop by on your trip back to Arizona this fall, I don't think I'm too far out of you way, your welcome here anytime....
Gary
I think Peru is a BIT of a stretch from AZ (but - THANKS - for the invite...!).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Eddie,
I have a home in Central Oregon, I'll be here for a couple of months
Thanks

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 02:03 PM

I put a quick 6000 miles on mine in less than a year and I love it with no problems at all other than just having to replace both tires last month. I also got mine at Power in Sublimity, great dealer, that is a great price for a new 14 Versys with ABS! I think you would enjoy riding the V much more than the KLR on such a long trip. I have owned both and love my V a little bit more!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Some of you guys that have been on this site for awhile might remember me,

Gary
Hi Gary, FastEddie beat me to it, however I have done more research, what I am finding is at some point, possibly 2014 or earlier Kawasaki changed how they wound / terminated the stator. Many of the stators I have seen failed either at the connection for line out or at one of the crossover connections, phase to line out short.One thing that seems to get missed is the fact the regulator operates the stator at 100% output, 100% is above 3000 RPM, so the stator is constantly being heated then cooled, when going from idle up above 3000 RPM. Copper expands at a much larger rate than steel, this expansion creates friction, which wears off the 0.0015 coating of varnish / epoxy.Using a series regulator, the heat load is constant on the stator, roughly 50% to 60% load. So the winding is roughly at maximum temperature the same time your engine is, and it reaches that maximum at roughly 2000 RPM, I know Invader has done Infrared , my guess is the stator will be about 30'C cooler with a series regulator. The exception is when your fan comes on and your high beam comes on, each adds about 15 % more load for a short duration.

Short answer, change out your regulator to a 4012941 Polaris or if you plan on running in extremely hot temps, install a compufire. Polaris is a direct bolt in, really simple to connect, just need to De-rate to 14 amp in low airflow.SH775
http://www.shindengen.co.jp/product_...o/catalog.html

Last edited by onewizard; 08-29-2015 at 09:20 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Eddie,
I have a home in Central Oregon, I'll be here for a couple of months
Thanks
Gary - We fly down to PHX (15 Oct this year). IF you're crossing at Nogales, that's just "down the road" from Florence. Maybe we can 'hook-up' for a ride or a 'meet-n-greet' while you're in transit?

PM me if you think that'll work....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Again, thanks for the input amigos, great information onewizard, thanks for taking the the time to post. Eddie, I will cross at Nogales, I'll pm if and when I get all this sorted out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode