Got my mojo back... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Got my mojo back...

I grew up riding gravel in northern Minnesota. Lots of gravel. So I was really excited last year when I bought my used 08' Versys - I wanted a street bike that would also let me ride gravel again. So within 15 minutes of buying it I headed to gravel - and thought I made a mistake. Bike was very squirrelly and unstable. Now granted it's been 25+ years since I rode gravel so much of this was me - I certainly don't remember my RM 125 being anything like this in the dirt. And the worn stock Dunlops certainly didn't help.

Fast forward to this spring, I raised my front fender and mounted a set of Shinko 705's and hit the dirt again. Bingo - bike was transformed. Much more stable and now fun to ride. No power slides (yet) but I do find myself riding faster than I should at times. Looking forward to exploring lots of back roads this summer - Yeah!

Still tryin' to recapture the magic of being 10 years old on a Honda Mini Trail 50...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

What sizes did you mount?

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Hey Lonerockz...you're alive? Some speculation about your whereabouts this year over on the ADV phototag board, good to hear from you. Funny you popped up on this topic - when I hit the dirt for the first time with these tires all I could think of was that pic you posted last year when you did the slalom and down in the deep sand over in cheeseland.

I did the 130/80-17 front and 150/70-17 rear. Had to lift the fender (I still have some aluminum left over for that if you wanted it) and I swapped front brake lines - you don't have to do that but it was fairly inexpensive. I posted my brake line info a while back on here as well. Bike really looks cool with them on...

Putting any rides together this summer?

Still tryin' to recapture the magic of being 10 years old on a Honda Mini Trail 50...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

27 Credits to finish my Undergrad by May this year and I take the GMAT on Tuesday. So no I'm not really alive. But I will live on Tuesday afternoon! Had to stay off ADV because of the huge time suck that it can be. Was thinking of surprising folks by getting the photo tag... I think I have 500 miles on my V this year :-( Last year at this point I had 5000!

Might just take you up on that aluminum!

Yeah I guess I could do another ride this summer. Have to find some good roads.

Steve

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode