2up touring? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2up touring?

Hi there,

the versys is on my shortlist of bikes to choose from, and i was wondering if anyone had much experience with having someone on the back for any length of time.

the bike will be used as a daily commuter, with some weekend fun runs, all solo. once or twice a year i'd like to take off for a week or two on long rides (first ride i want to do is from Austin, TX, to pikes peak in colorado), with the wife on the back.

i dont really want a larger bike, the versys seems light and nimble and perfect for 90% of the riding i'll be doing, but the once or twice a year road trips are important too, and i want my wife to be reasonably comfortable (will be replacing the seat) and for the bike to perform ok. i dont want to go a million miles an hour, but i do want to be able to load it up with my better half, and gear for both of us, and have some fun in corners and get up in to the mountains.

i guess thats a long winded way of asking if the versys has the power to long distance tour, 2up with gear, or should i be looking at the grown up Bandit ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 04:51 AM

Hi There, there are a few active topics already regarding this subject, but to give you my opinion in short, long distance 2- up riding plus luggage and mountains probably is not the V's strong point. But everything else you want to do according to your post, the V is perfect for you
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 08:57 AM

With the stock seat my gf can only do about an hour or too back there at most. We do a lot of touring although she has her own bike so it is not a problem. I will say that it stil handles pretty well with another 130lbs on the back.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 09:05 AM

Some additional input on the two-up riding

http://forums.kawasakiversys.com/showthread.php?t=855

Corey
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowdown View Post
i guess thats a long winded way of asking if the versys has the power to long distance tour, 2up with gear, or should i be looking at the grown up Bandit ?
Power is absolutely not a problem. Comfort is a personal thing, so say they can do 100's of miles on the stock seat other complain after 50. Most bikes need the seat modified for real long distance comfort, so if you are going to end up doing that to any bike you buy, might as well be the one that works best for 90% of your intended usage, no?

Gustavo
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
Power is absolutely not a problem.

Gustavo
thats exactly what i was hoping to hear, changing seats is easy enough.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowdown View Post
...changing seats is easy enough.
That's the attitude !
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 05:31 PM

As others have said, power is no problem. Its luggage capacity and comfort that could be. It probably depends on the SIZE of you and your partner. I'm 5'10", my wife 5'8", together we weigh in at 210lbs. We've done numerous 100-200mile days with no issues.

We don't camp, just can't get enough gear on to make camping comfortable. We B&B or cheap hotels.

She insists on a back rest-I have a Givi topbox and we are thinking about putting extended passenger foot pegs on for her.

Its a totally awsome bike, I've had it since Oct 07 and coming up on 10k miles, about 25% two up.

Go for it.

Machog
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 07:08 PM

Thumbs up

Just to confirm what was said earlier... power is not an issue. This bike has more than enough power to haul 2, plus gear. And as someone said, comfort is a personal issue. I have been fine going 2up on some 150+ mile (one way) trips... other have not. But if you are changing the seat, then just find the one that suits you best and you're good to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:34 AM

Short trips of up 100 miles should not be a problem, but long distance touring on anything but an 1100cc or larger with 2 people is going to become very tiring and make both of you very grumpy. For long distance rides I have a Honda ST1300.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
I'm 5'10", my wife 5'8", together we weigh in at 210lbs.
5' 10" male, 5' 8" female, 210 lbs combined weight??
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 12:59 PM

I have my Versys set up with Givi Hard bags all around, plus I strap my old soft cortech saddlebags over the tank for some added storage. With me (265 lbs) and my Fiance (115 lbs) we have gone almost a full tank without a stop, refueled and had lunch, and did another full tank! I dont find it to be a problem at all!! I will say we are heavily considering the Corbin seat as I would like a little taller seat-to-peg for me and she wants a little wider pan for her. Oh, and I forgot to mentioned my top case, an E370 Givi, has the accessory back rest installed which she finds very comfortable!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 02:13 PM

I'll add to say that I've gone six hours with my partner on the back - 300 miles each way (12 hours total - two day trip). I weigh 150 lbs and he weighs 160 lbs. We had luggage and all three cases on the bike. The seat should be upgraded but other than that we did fine. Stop every hour and 1/2 for a stretch, some snacks, water, take in the scenery and away you go.

I'm 6'4" and he's 5'10". The Versys is a highly impressive motorcycle - I don't think you need more cc's than this for what you are planning on doing.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeniac View Post
5' 10" male, 5' 8" female, 210 lbs combined weight??
Are you saying he's lying about his wife's weight?

Gustavo
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the response folks, seems all i need is a better seat and ive found my perfect bike!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
Are you saying he's lying about his wife's weight?

Gustavo
I am a healthcare practitioner so I pick up on things outside of the norms. Both would have to be well outside the average percentiles for their height and weight to have a combined weight of 210lbs.

Average weight for a small framed woman 5'8" is 126-129lbs.
Average weight for a small framed man 5'10" is 144-154lbs.

If they are both small framed individuals their combined weight would be approx. 270-283 lbs. It's a long way from 210 lbs and the rationale for my questioning.

I am a reasonably healthy male, medium build at 6'2" and weigh around 200lbs. solo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode