Is the Versys for me? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is the Versys for me?

brand new to motorcycles- deciding on first bike purchase and looking at versys. I see some good deals on 2008-09's - was first considering a bmw r1200gs but monster price difference. just want local zip around bike and occassional weekend advernture up into the nc mtns.

6'4 260 - am i too big for this bike?

650cc will i be underpowered?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:30 PM

I am 6'2 and 230 and the bike is fine. Plenty of power to scare the hell out of me if I want it to, yet very controllable and forgiving. It's my second bike and so much more user-friendly than my first (2000 Vulcan Drifter 800).

Get the peg lowering kit, it'll drop your feet an extra 1.3 inches with improves the ride for us taller folks. http://motowerk.com/loweringfootpegsblocks.aspx.

Here's what 6'2, 230 looks like on the bike: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Hope this helps.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

I'm 6'2" 270lbs The V has plenty of power for you. If you have a 32" inseam or more you would want to look into some motorwerks peg lowering blocks for more comfort. Also thier mirror extenders so you can see more than your own shoulders.

http://motowerk.com/Versys.aspx

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

thanks for quick replies-

can anyone fill me in on some engine/power basics-

a 650cc- what rpm will it run at on the highway at 70mph?
vs.
a 1000cc?

thanks again
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 PM

I'm 6'-5" 220 lbs and I have to say that Speedy's footpeg lowering kit made the bike more comfortable for me.
It will not be underpowered for you, especially when you are new to motorcycling. It has more than enough power to get you into trouble really quickly.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:59 PM

70mph in 6th is 5000RPM and very smooth.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 01:14 PM
DBL

My stock '10 Versys ran 5500 RPM at 70MPH indicated on the speedometer which is actually around 67MPH on my Tom Tom GPS. I have since changed my rear sprocket from a 46 to a 44 tooth which corrects the speedometer error and makes 6th gear feel better on the highway. My bike has a weird resonate frequency vibration right at 5500 RPM so the trick is to keep the engine above (fun!) or below that RPM. You can add better handlebars to lessen the vibration and do other things to overcome this but they fixed most of that with the '10. That's why the "new" older models cost less. I paid just under $7200 OTD here in Texas which I feel is a bargain.

If you can afford a 1000cc bike, then look at the Suzuki VStrom DL1000. You can find used ones all around that retain their value and they are just a bit heavier than the smaller VStrom DL650. The Versys and "Wee" Strom are almost identical but after owning both of them, I prefer the Versys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by or13 View Post
thanks for quick replies-

can anyone fill me in on some engine/power basics-

a 650cc- what rpm will it run at on the highway at 70mph?
vs.
a 1000cc?

thanks again
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 01:14 PM

Engine size has nothing to do with RPM on the highway, that is all transmission and final drive gearing. A more powerful engine may allow a lower RPM on the highway but there again it depends on how that engine makes its power.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 01:31 PM

Great first bike for sure.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 04:21 PM

if you're "brand new to motorcycles" you really shouldn't be looking at 1000cc bikes. it's smarter to learn on a smaller machine, which will be less likely to inflict severe penalties for rookie mistakes. it's far easier to learn with a more docile motor.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 04:34 PM

On top of the fact that a 650cc bike will save you some $'s on insurance costs versus 1000cc bikes.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Again if your brand new then the V is good bike to start on IMHO, there are a number of 1000cc crutch rockets that are wrecked in the first week or even first ride by riders who have not been on a bike for years and return but underestamate the horse power that is on the rear wheel or just to much for a learner. get a GSXr 1000cc set it in full power setting (think its A) take off in first and screw the throttle right out and drop clutch for good measure and you will be sitting on your arse with the bike spread over the road on 2nd thoughts don't do it as i would not want you to sue me.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 04:44 PM

Displacement isn't the issue. Apples to oranges depending on the bike. Example:

r1200gs: (1157cc) friendly, plenty of get-up, decent brakes, boxer twin fun. Will take you anywhere fast but not insane-fast.
ZX12R: (1200cc) race-ready liquid-cooled inline-4 from the factory. Unforgiving throttle. 0-70+ in first gear, 100MPH wheelie (I've seen it done).

Versys: (650cc) user-friendly as hell, nimble, easy to do most anything from light touring to gravel roads. Brakes and throttle will let you get away with quite a bit. Will barely do a 2nd gear wheelie.
ZX6R: (600cc) race-ready from the factory. Unforgiving throttle. 0-50+ in first gear. Will do a rolling 70mph wheelie (I've seen it done).

What you look for is a bike that is purpose built as a 'standard' motorcycle for your first bike. Whether it be a Triumph Bonneville, Harley Sportster, Versys, Er-6n... it needs to be small enough that you can handle it with easy, forgiving with the throttle (yet able to send some input to your fun receptors) and brakes, and easy on the wallet (insurance and price).

The Versys does all these things and does them well and you can get one anywhere from $5500-$7500 depending on your haggling skills and availability.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
brand new to motorcycles- deciding on first bike purchase and looking at versys. I see some good deals on 2008-09's - was first considering a bmw r1200gs but monster price difference. just want local zip around bike and occassional weekend advernture up into the nc mtns.

6'4 260 - am i too big for this bike?

650cc will i be underpowered?

thanks
theres separate issues here in my books
technically the Versys is fine, Ive just finished a 6 week extended holiday, done a gnats over 8,000 miles in what is in reality 4 weeks. Im 6'4", weigh in at over 125 Kg... 250 lbs and was carrying around another 35.. possibly 45Kg in luggage and other stuff. the bike never had a problem.

however you say you are new to riding..... if that means you have never ridden a bike before then I think you'd be better off buying a secondhand smaller capacity bike, and learn how to ride before buying any new bike.

put some of the savings form buying secondhand and smaller into some training (whether thats MSF or whatever do it...), put some of that into getting some good protective gear (bear in mind good doesn't necessarily mean expensive). I'm thinking a good quality helmet, boots, gloves, jacket & trousers with appropriate protection. ideally you want shoulder, arm & lower back on the jacket, knee & hip on the trousers.

if you truly haven't ridden a bike yet then go to somewhere you can borrow one .. again MSF springs to mind and make certain that the reality of riding matches your expectations and dreams. make certain its right for you before you lash out on the gear, the bike and so on. its
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 06:54 PM

I'm a new rider. I find the Versys to be very enjoyable and not too much to handle. I'm taking it very slow as well. I did the 44t sprocket to reduce the torque because I'm still learning throttle control and I wanted the gears to be a bit taller.

I'm 6'1" but only about 190. For me, the Versys has plenty of power. But riding my wife's Buell Blast, I knew I needed something a bit more powerful than that.

I am really happy with the Versys, but there are a ton of great bikes out there. Whatever you get, enjoy!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

thanks for answers- think im gonna do it- already can hear my mother saying im gonna get killed.

another quick question - riding in southern warmer climates- what do u wear for protection?
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 12:12 PM

5' 11 29'' legs a little bit tall but liveable.
Im use to sports and much heigher powered machines but the way this engine delivers is where you need it most. it is deceptivley faster than its figues let you believe.
Try one its also very light and has a shortish wheel base that alows it to change direction with ease.

If you can ride a moped you can ride one of these they are so easy to ride and very very good you will not be disapointed.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
thanks for answers- think im gonna do it- already can hear my mother saying im gonna get killed.

another quick question - riding in southern warmer climates- what do u wear for protection?
A mesh jacket, pants and gloves will suit you well. A local bike shop or online store may have a good price and style for you to check out. When you're moving you'll feel comfortable and even when you are stopped it keeps the sun from shining directly on you.

a sampling:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-2-Jacket.aspx

http://www.newenough.com/street/glov...le_gloves.html

http://www.bikebandit.com/firstgear-mesh-tex-2-0-pants

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 02:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
I looked at the big BMW boxers as well and decided on a V. For now. I am six one, 185, and as far as I know the only woman on the forum (not sure the V is chick-friendly for anyone who is not an Amazon..lol). I have been out of riding for some time and find this bike and excellent choice, for all the reasons mentioned in previous posts. Just bought my 09 and got aggressive enough pricing that I can probably resell in a year and still break even. I will still look at the BWM 1200s and even 1150s, used, once I am ready for a larger bike.

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 02:27 PM

I'll be the bad guy here and say that a Versys is not the right first bike. No, I'm not your mom no matter how much it sounds like it.

If you are new to riding go with a cheap used bike. You are going to drop it so it may as well be something you can live without. I know it is just a tiny little 650 but it is still a lot of bike. Especially for somebody that is new to bikes.

Learn to ride before jumping on something so purty and so deadly if in the wrong hands. Stay safe.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode