New to the Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CanadianFZ6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New to the Versys

Coming from a Uly, I really enjoy the bike so far, er.. what little power I can get from it. Dang Break in has you limited to 4K.. I feel sorry for folks who live next to an interstate.. How critical is this?
I have hit the 5K mark 2-3 times but only as I shifted through gears, nothing sustained.

Book calls for 10-40, I typically run 20-50. I see it is an option, and as I am in warmer temps I prefer the 50.. whats the general preference?

Bike rides like a road wagon.. Book says its set for 150 pound rider, im 193.. I need to check tire pressure, haven't done that yet, may have something to do with it. Possibly the suspension will soften more as I ride. Only 50 miles on it currently.

Little gear whine coming from tranny side during acceleration and sometimes during sustained riding.. Someone below said possibly from brakes, but its most definitely coming from the tranny / clutch..Possibly just running in as break in continues? Its not loud or obnoxious, just noticeable. One of the reasons I finally got rid of my Uly is the " where is the sound coming from, and that doesn't sound right" and Often the.. " Dang who put marbles in my motor"

Anyway, Very happy for the little I have ridden it so far! look forward to longer trips once I get the break in oil changed at 600 miles.

Oh, How important is it to let the dealer do it? I prefer myself, but will it void warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 04:29 AM

I hit redline out of the dealer's lot on pretty much every bike I owned.... Rev it freely, it will thank you later... Heat is the enemy in the breakin process more than anything else, not the actual revs... You have to remember lawyers write manuals not engineers... Also every Kawasaki (pretty much every other bike too) rolls off the assembly line and is dyno tested (to redline) to make sure the engine is outputting within spec.... Saying that, babying it now is like closing the barn door after the horses have escaped... Just ride it normally....

*** Funny thing there is no typical break in procedure for my Honda CB500x... I mean nothing in the manual suggesting any rev limits to be observed for the first 500km or so. The only stipulations are... avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration, avoid hard braking and rapid downshifts, ride conservatively***
Tex Vs likes this.

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x

Last edited by CanadianFZ6; 08-22-2015 at 05:14 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 08:52 AM

Just ride it. I have never seen anything bad happen no matter how hard someone road during brake in. I was general manager for three Kawasaki dealerships. I have had two Versys and just road them like I always do. They run just fine.
The oil thing, 10-40 will do fine. Your Versys doesn't have a Harley motor in it. I had two Buells and ran 20-50 but it's not what you need in the Versys.
Check your chain adj., it is EZ to make it to tight! I think the stock free play is not sufficient. Sit on your bike and have someone make sure that the chain is Not tight.
Have fun it's a great bike.
870Buz

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 09:19 PM

1. Ride it like you stole it (Safely,) and keep away from cars.
2. Get the bible 2010 KLE650 manual from ebay and do what it says (not what ADVrider says.)
3. Use 10/40 MOTORCYCLE oil within temp specs.
4. Pretty much, use this site as a primary information source for add-ons: good members and information.
Enjoy the ride!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 870buz View Post
Just ride it. I have never seen anything bad happen no matter how hard someone road during brake in. I was general manager for three Kawasaki dealerships. I have had two Versys and just road them like I always do. They run just fine.
The oil thing, 10-40 will do fine. Your Versys doesn't have a Harley motor in it. I had two Buells and ran 20-50 but it's not what you need in the Versys.
Check your chain adj., it is EZ to make it to tight! I think the stock free play is not sufficient. Sit on your bike and have someone make sure that the chain is Not tight.
Have fun it's a great bike.
870Buz
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
do your own oil changes, easy, and switch to 15/50 Mobil 1. the 6spd cartridge transmission in the Versys is very durable, but does make a little noise, the M1 helps smooth out this area too.
Dave's RIGHT! Check the motoman break-in:

thanx

ALL THREE of my Vs were broken-in on the ride home from the dealer, and they ALL run/ran Mobil1 (automobile) oil, 15w-50.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-24-2015 at 01:25 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 07:39 AM

I rode mine pretty hard the first 1000 kms taking it at times to 7000/8000 rpm. Could not help my right wrist as I was to used to crotch rockets previously. Asked my dealer who said not to worry about it so long as I did not do it continually it'd be ok.

The last ride i put in was 525 km to the hills and on highways on the way home. Again taking it to 7000 rpm occasionally when needed.

Well, it does not sound rough and still pulling so far so good.

I reckon these days motors are built better and would take some abuse before falling apart.

I am but a Traveller in Steel and a Shooter of Birds and MotoGP trackside.
Last life -
GSXR 750 SRAD
Duc 996sps
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

SO, If I understand correctly. 10-40 is good, 15-50 synthetic is better. No issues doing my own oil changes, just don;t want to run into an warranty issue down the road if I skip the first change at the dealer and do it myself, so that isn't an issue?

Rising through the rpm range isn't a deal breaker even though the manual calls for 4k max for 500 miles?
I may stretch that up to 5 then until my first oil change then be done with it.. I understand the motoman break in, I have done other bikes this way. However where I am located now for the next 3-5 weeks anyway, my hard run through the gears is limited to 45 MPH traffic, except for weekends.. and Im gone the next 3 weekends so Im kinda limited.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Keep your receipts from your oil and filter and if there is any questions about weather it was done you have that bit of proof

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 01:57 PM

Garage
[QUOTE=ronheater70;939305]
.....Bike rides like a road wagon.. Book says its set for 150 pound rider, im 193.. I need to check tire pressure, haven't done that yet, may have something to do with it. Possibly the suspension will soften more as I ride. Only 50 miles on it currently......[QUOTE]

I've come to the conclusion that the book is simply wrong. I just can't see how the stock settings would be appropriate for someone 150lbs. I'm about 210lbs, and I calculated that the sag was within acceptable range for me with the stock settings, but not by much of a margin. I lowered the preload a bit front and rear and felt the sag was more suitable. The rear seemed to need it more than the front, and I've gone back and added a bit of preload back to the forks, but I still have a bit less than the stock setting. Added damping at both ends also.

PS. Riding this bike at 4k and under would be a bit like torture. Even if you only up it to 6k RPM, it will be so much more fun.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650

Last edited by pkovo; 08-24-2015 at 02:08 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I hard accelled and hard decelled (mostly 1st and 2nd gear) about 8 or 10 times and rode it briskly for 24 miles from the dealer's lot all the way home. Then immediately changed the oil. First crank, the wheel came up. I was smiling all the way home!

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota

Last edited by Squishman; 08-24-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode