More Newbie Questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By outdoorgb
  • 1 Post By outdoorgb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
More Newbie Questions

To recap, there is no training facilities where I live, so I'm searching you-tube for advice, but as we all know there are opinions, the internet and the truth! I will add that I just know enough to know that I know nothing!

So a couple of questions on points I've picked-up from youtube.

1. High beam as DRL - how do ya'll feel about leaving high beam on during daylight hours? I don't use the bike after dark.

2. Correct foot position - I'm trying to develop good habits, till now I have been flat footed on the pegs, but note from a couple of different sources (1 being for track day and the other a UK based training school) about keeping the balls of your feet on the pegs - when active riding - as opposed to straight highway miles. The theory, I think, is that being on your toes means you can move weight faster when required.

Glen 08 Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
1) that is bad.

2) My feet are positioned so that If I have to Brake or change gear All I have to do turn my foot sideways to reach lever. The side of my boot toe is actually touching the lever until I need to use it. I don't have to lift or preposition my feet.

Last edited by Gigitt; 08-20-2015 at 07:42 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 11:12 PM

1) Agree with Gigitt

2) I always ride with with the balls of my feet on the pegs. It just feels better.

2008 Ninja 250
2009 KLR 650
2015 Versys 1000 LT

Bob
Menasha, WI

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 05:17 AM

Agree. I don't ride with high beams on, it blinds oncoming traffic
I ride on the balls of my feet. I move my foot forward to shift, then back it goes. On the street, toes are pointing forward. Track is different.
Another thing that's good to do for street riding is to cover the brake and clutch lever with 2 fingers.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 08:43 AM

I ride with my high beam on during the day on purpose, I see lots of bikes doing the same. I don't see a problem with it, when I'm in my car and I see a bike coming toward me during the day, high or low beam, I don't find the light distracting, in my opinion. I think the only reason I notice that someone has a high beam on during the day is that I ride a bike so I know the difference.

My rationale is this - driving with the low beam on 'ages' the low beam, making it more likely to burn out first - leaving me with a high beam only until I can get a new bulb. High beam only at night = bad.

Driving with the high beam on during the day ages the high beam. If the high beam burns out, I can continue to drive without irritating other drivers at night until I get a new bulb.

Just my opinion. If bike headlights would just switch to LED lamps, it would almost be a moot point.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 08:59 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i dont use my high beams for day lights that to me is just dumb, your wasting power , loosing your ability to flash that light, and most likly going to piss other people off, your better off getting more lights or aiming your main beam up a bit more , and or get some high vis gear and or paint , they will see IT in the day light better then a light bulb...
and i dont really think about my feel i just put them on the pegs and as long as i can use the controls and im comfy what does it matter?

and also WELCOME

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 09:38 AM

I use my flash button when entering intersections, but I don't leave my highs on. Using the flash is better because you keep your hands on the bar.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 09:54 AM

I'm in Canada. We've been used to daytime running lights for a loooong time now.

I don't think I'm wasting power, my bulb, both beams draw the same power - 55 watts?

Been doing it this way for years, as have lots of friends. Maybe it's an 'old biker' habit kind of thing, I've heard it discussed many times in the past, too. Never had a complaint, never been flashed by an oncoming vehicle during the day, and it's never bothered me when I see a bike coming towards me during the day with a highbeam on. Can't see it's any more distracting or irritating than a headlight flasher! It's really quite common around here, I see it all the time. It's not a problem during the day! My light isn't that bright!

I rarely ride at night. I rarely pass anybody. Even if I do pass someone, I don't think I've ever flashed my lights, in anything I drive on the road. I save that for the track. (I'm pretty sure if I pulled the trigger on the flasher, my low beam comes on too? Can't say from here... ) And a loooong time ago, I did have a low beam pop on me at night on the way home from work, and despite my best efforts to stay to the far right of the lanes, driving the rest of the way home with my high beam on definitely pissed some oncoming drivers off - for all the right reasons.

Not recommending this be done, not arguing that it's a better idea than anything else. It's just something I do and have seen done around my area for decades, and I gave my reason for doing so.

Do what you do to suit your driving style, this works for me.

Last edited by visitor zero; 08-21-2015 at 10:03 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
I use my flash button when entering intersections, but I don't leave my highs on. Using the flash is better because you keep your hands on the bar.
Haha, in NJ flashing your highbeams is giving the oncoming vehicle permission to go- in an intersection that would nearly guarantee a car turning left in front of you.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Haha, in NJ flashing your highbeams is giving the oncoming vehicle permission to go- in an intersection that would nearly guarantee a car turning left in front of you.
in Texas, they turn in front of you whether you flash them or not.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
in Texas, they turn in front of you whether you flash them or not.
Well, that's true here, too. Lol
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:16 PM

Garage
I use my highbeams during the day when traffic is super heavy only

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 02:11 PM

Garage
Its good to keep your Flash to Pass button available. I don't really care what drivers think, they aren't paying attention most of the time anyway.

As for foot position, your taught at the track that your low side foot should be on the ball for control (it allows you to lean farther when you get the balls too) and your high side foot should be in the middle where the heel plate allows you to grip the bike better. Watch some MotoGP videos close and you'll see this in action.

Think about pulling hard out of a turn, if your foot isn't planted on that outside peg it can potentially slip off off the back. As well, when you're pulling your weight back up to center or to come across to the other side of the bike quickly, you want your foot where you are going to have the most control of either shifting or braking.

On the street, I tend to ride either way depending on comfort. Most of the time in town and around traffic I ride with my feet in the middle for quick access to controls. If i'm cruising down the highway, i'll ride on the balls to help relax my legs a bit.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I too will flash occasionally when things look hectic...
I'll also perform the SMIDSY manuver to make myself look bigger...I use this quite a bit acually.

Korruptor likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgb View Post
I too will flash occasionally when things look hectic...
I'll also perform the SMIDSY manuver to make myself look bigger...I use this quite a bit acually.

https://youtu.be/eqQBubilSXU
Thank you outdoorgb. This is easily the best safety maneuver I've ever seen! Where did you learn about this?

2008 Ninja 250
2009 KLR 650
2015 Versys 1000 LT

Bob
Menasha, WI
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 05:37 PM

Outdoor GB ---- THANKS!

Never thought of it that way. Brilliant.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 03:05 PM

Get some auxiliary lights. On HondaGals comment about flashing gives them the go ahead to turn, if it looks like too much action at the intersection, i'll try to hold the pass button for a couple of seconds instead of flashing them, and always have my thumb ready on the air horn. I'l bet I wake up or stop a turning or driffting cager everyday I am out with that horn.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 09:14 PM

Garage
I wired up LED spotlights as daytime running lights. So far so good and no I don't run high beam during the day that was just for the photo.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canit View Post
Thank you outdoorgb. This is easily the best safety maneuver I've ever seen! Where did you learn about this?
I'm 52...I've laid two bikes down by folks who didn't see me...t-boned one more (minor fork damage), and have had many "oh crap" encounters.

I learned the maneuver many years ago from fellow riders...the video is newer and was posted in one of my other online forums (non-motorcycle related)...

Code words: FUArock and "87"
canit likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode