i'm beginning to like this bike - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i'm beginning to like this bike

so, i took possession of the versys on 8 Jan. between then and 28 May, i put about 600 miles on the bike. not due to weather, but due to a short commute, which is just about the only riding i did in that span. there were a few other rides around town, but the bike never left the metro until this past weekend.

i rode down to the bayou to visit family. unfortunately, a ride to NOLA is an all-interstate affair, but it was nice to get a chance to evaluate the long distance capabilities of the bike.

the first thing i learned was that i'm not a member of the stock-seat-is-fine contingent; my buns were burning within 100 miles. for my next mission, i think i'll try the beaded and/or sheepskin seat covers i have on hand. hopefully they'll save me from another purchase (i'm up on the seat threads).

the second thing i learned is that i can live with the stock windscreen. i figured as much from my in-town expressway jaunts, but now i know for sure. still, i've flipped it upside down just to see (looks the biz!)....

the third thing i learned is that tank range on this bike is incredible! i thought my old VFR800 was awesome, i once stretched that bike to 236mi and topped off beyond 200 routinely. i see that this bike can top that high mark if required and again, 200 miles is a stress-free pit stop point. that fuel light flashing thread was right on time.

finally, i learned that i need to install those sunline grips before the next trip.

now that school is out, i had the time to dekawify the fairing yesterday. today, i took a quick test drive, which was very was promising. twenty miles, no buzzing, what a joy! i can ride the bike without getting annoyed by it, so maybe i'll grow to appreciate it more in the coming weeks. i've gotta see what it's like in yonder hills. maybe eventually, i'll be ready join some of you cats for a tall glass of:

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Good that you are liviing your life with the V. enjoy the ride bro and safe ride always.

If you drop by this side of the ball, beer is on me.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:17 PM

Kevrider, be sure to check out Shelby Forest. The park has some nice scenic twisties and the ride TO the park is scenic also (skip Frayser Blvd, and head up Old Fyte Rd)

Have you done any bike nights yet ? Wednesdays at Joe's Crabshack in Wolfchase has the most variety and is easy to maneuver around. The Side-Car is cool but it's 99% cruisers. Beale Street is overrated. Lots of cops and drunk bikers. Bad combination.

There's a website I've been looking at http://www.openroadjourney.com/ that has some routes mapped out for Memphis/Somerville/Arlington , etc... worth a look.

Hope to see you out riding!

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:55 PM

300 miles on my 2010 and its going very nicely.

What I notice is how light and precise it is, its a doddle to ride and great at going through traffic.

I havent run mine in yet but its growing on me too.

I just hope that the finish will withstand winter abuse
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Cetzel, i haven't been to Shelby Forest yet, but it's been on my agenda for a while. i actually want to check it out for bicycling.

bike nites... i happened upon the Beale Street thing once. i wasn't riding, so didn't linger. haven't been back since; it looked like your description. might drop in on the Crabshack, though. gotta eat.

thanks for the link, i'll check it out. it'll be nice if i can get a nice dayride without going to the Ozarks.

cheers.

Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

okay, i've just completed lesson three... memphis-to-atlanta, 600 miles, 12 hot and sweltering hours on sunday... atl-to-memf, 700 miles, 18 cool and wet hours on tuesday. the backroad/interstate ratio was higher on the return trip. this was painful and not the way i normally ride, but i just didn't want to drive.

changes since the last rip: fairing buzz addressed... windscreen flipped upside down... fat, sunline grips installed... mudflap added, in lieu of a hugger... loctite and locking washers applied to the stock mirrors

1. fixes to silence the fairing have worked
2. sheepskin on the stock saddle is not enough to prevent burning of buns
3. sheepskin on top of a beaded seat cover is enough to prevent burning of buns
4. the stock dunlops are the same as every other dunlop i've ever had: scary in the rain
5. the cerebellum rocks... automatic reflexes saved me from a two wheel slide on cold, wet dunlops in a downhill, 2nd gear switchback... that was the second two-wheel slide... the rear wheel broke traction 2 or 3 other times
6. riding twisties in the rain is awesome, in spite of #5
7. this bike loves sweepers
8. saddle slope never bothered in town or in twisties, but gets old on the interstate
9. it's been too long since i've ridden in the hills; i need to ride this bike unloaded to learn to trust the front in switchbacks
10. cool + rainy > hot + sweltering; i must learn to operate a camelbak on the moto
11. the headlights are great for streaking thru the darkness on the i-road
12. schoolgirls love that green paint
13. i'm only 5'7" but i wonder if i need the footpeg lowering kit????
14. it's nice to have 4-way flashers
15. the mirrors are fixed firmly in place, just as they were on departure

so, the bike is still growing on me. but i need to find more twisty road saddletime before i can trust it, i just have no feel for entry speed. it's partly due to rust in reading the turn radius, i found my entry speeds were always lower than necessary. this bike can be tossed in with minimal braking, but you need confidence in the front end to do that. now, i may not get there until i retread. this is the third set of dunlops i've ever had on a bike, and each set has given me "moments" in the rain. they've gotta go! luckily, the rear is flatspotting, so it won't take long.

btw... i'm not looking for tire advice, not trying to start a tire thread. pirelli, metzeler and avon => those are my brands.

Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 02:05 PM

Awesome. I was pondering riding the V Memphis-Columbus,OH in a few weeks to hang with family. I might drive it but 40->65->71 is some boring and straight interslab. Your info on the seat over a long trip is very helpful.

By the way: I have the Motowerk footpeg kit. I'm 6'2" and it does make the seat more comfortable, but not sure it will stop butt-burning over a long trip.

I never felt comfortable in the rain on the stockers either. Of course, I've wiped out in the rain on the V too so I'm biased. I just put new rear tire on and will probably retread the front soon.

Very cool write-up. Thanks!

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 02:54 PM

kevrider, did you set the sag on the front and rear, when I did the handling was much better in the corners for me.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetzel View Post
I might drive it but 40->65->71 is some boring and straight interslab.
i hear ya. both the New Orleans and Atlanta trips are normally done in the car. but i needed to get the versys out of town and i have no specific moto-trips on the docket, so....

i'll be headed back to atlanta in july. i'll be in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytrydr View Post
kevrider, did you set the sag on the front and rear, when I did the handling was much better in the corners for me.
ah.... the front preload and f/r rebound are set where the previous owner left them. the rear preload is maxed out for passenger duty. i see i have some homework to do.....

thanks, mate!

Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:04 PM
naz

kev man just sell the damn thing,there are so many good bikes outhere.for instance check this bike

just man hope you didnt get upset
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

LOL!!!

Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode