Pilot Power / Power 2CT - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pilot Power / Power 2CT

Wondering if anyone else use Pilot power/2ct on the versys before... These tires used to be really expensive and price has gone down since new version (Power Pure) has come out.

I am able to get front and back installed for $250, 2CT just a little more.

Pilot power and 2 ct has been recommended by a few friends of mine. Very sticky and get good miles...

Any info will be greatly appreciated...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVersys View Post
Wondering if anyone else use Pilot power/2ct on the versys before... These tires used to be really expensive and price has gone down since new version (Power Pure) has come out.

I am able to get front and back installed for $250, 2CT just a little more.

Pilot power and 2 ct has been recommended by a few friends of mine. Very sticky and get good miles...

Any info will be greatly appreciated...
Tried the Pilot Power 2CT. Yes, it's sticky and good miles. Just take care in the wet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokto7 View Post
Tried the Pilot Power 2CT. Yes, it's sticky and good miles. Just take care in the wet.
Hi Lokto7, how many miles you got on your Versys? Looks like you been through quite a few sets of tires... BT003rs and now BT023 on another thread...

I got 13,xxx miles on my Versys, been through OEM dunlop, BT003rs and currently contimotion that got about another 500-1000 miles (I hope)...

How bad is the Pilot power in the rain compare to BT003rs? Since I got BT003 before, I want to get some idea...

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
BT Battlax 016 - Is good in both wet and dry. Very grippy tire and warms up fast. Used almost 9K kilometrs, looks brand new.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 07:51 AM

Pilot Powers are great in rain.

But for my money, I run the Pilot Road 2. I get twice the mileage on them than I did the regular 2CT.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudarra View Post
Pilot Powers are great in rain.

But for my money, I run the Pilot Road 2. I get twice the mileage on them than I did the regular 2CT.
What tires are you using now?

Vendetta
A friend of mine once said: Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 08:31 AM

Road 2. This is my second set.
The best mileage I ever got out of a regular 2CT was 5000 miles (to the wear indicators).
The last set of road 2s hit 9500 miles before reaching the indicators, and the tire guy at the shop told me I can get 10-12K miles out of them if I up the pressures a little.
I was running 36PSI in rear 32PSI in front.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 AM

Has anyone tried a 180 rear tire?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 09:26 AM

I'm not sure a 180 would fit the wheel.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVersys View Post
Hi Lokto7, how many miles you got on your Versys? Looks like you been through quite a few sets of tires... BT003rs and now BT023 on another thread...

I got 13,xxx miles on my Versys, been through OEM dunlop, BT003rs and currently contimotion that got about another 500-1000 miles (I hope)...

How bad is the Pilot power in the rain compare to BT003rs? Since I got BT003 before, I want to get some idea...

Thanks!
The Power 2CT rear got lock up more easily than 003RS. No scientific data to backup, just my 2cents experience.... I think those sports tire are more or less the same in the rain.

But the mileage of Power 2CT should be much better than 003RS.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokto7 View Post
The Power 2CT rear got lock up more easily than 003RS. No scientific data to backup, just my 2cents experience.... I think those sports tire are more or less the same in the rain.

But the mileage of Power 2CT should be much better than 003RS.

Hmmm, I just had a PR2 installed on the rear and I've put a couple hundred miles on it. This is what I'm feeling too. The PR2 seems slipperier to me than the Dunlop Roadsmart. I can feel it sliding here & there & definitely locks up easier. It's still new, but I remember being really impressed with the grip of the Roadsmarts. I've been taking it easy on it due to the newness. I haven't leaned it over to the edge yet, and am a little leery about it, although I haven't felt out of control. Just little slides here & there.

I'm running 36 psi in it. Should I go up or down?? (I know, that's like asking what oil should I run...)

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Hmmm, I just had a PR2 installed on the rear and I've put a couple hundred miles on it. This is what I'm feeling too. The PR2 seems slipperier to me than the Dunlop Roadsmart. I can feel it sliding here & there & definitely locks up easier. It's still new, but I remember being really impressed with the grip of the Roadsmarts. I've been taking it easy on it due to the newness. I haven't leaned it over to the edge yet, and am a little leery about it, although I haven't felt out of control. Just little slides here & there.

I'm running 36 psi in it. Should I go up or down?? (I know, that's like asking what oil should I run...)
Really can't tell what is the best pressure. Some people are suggesting a bit lower pressure for more control at extreme lean angle. i'd just use 225/250 as i dun lean into corner too aggressively.

Try it and find the best for you. YMMV.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
BT Battlax 016 - Is good in both wet and dry. Very grippy tire and warms up fast. Used almost 9K kilometrs, looks brand new.

X2

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojoe View Post
Has anyone tried a 180 rear tire?

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=7160

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

My last set of BT003rs lasted only about 3500 miles... If BT016 can last over 5000 miles, I might go for it, I know 016 is a pretty sticky tires...

My contimotion is already over 5500 miles and got another 500 to go depends on how I ride... I am really impress with contimotion, never slip once... (Knock on wood)

Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 10:16 AM

The Pilot Power 2CT is an excellent tire. Great grip, progressive feel. When the rear comes loose, its smooth and confident, not surprising. The profile is great too, being steep enough to allow quick turn in, but not so steep that you never see the edge. I've run these all the way over past the edge and they still held me to the track.

That said, I like the Road 2CT better on the street. They are a little slippery for the first 4-500 miles until broken in, but once they wake up, they are grippy and feel great. Mileage on the Road 2CT is good too, with an easy 8k out of them and probably more. I am switching out my Road 2CTs this weekend with about 7k on them, but they've also seen 6 trackdays. These are the first touring tires I've run that I could wear the edges out before the center.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blz2dwl View Post
I've run these all the way over past the edge and they still held me to the track.

I am switching out my Road 2CTs this weekend with about 7k on them, but they've also seen 6 trackdays.
So are you doing these trackdays on your V?

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 12:14 AM

i got 7k MILES out of my dunlop qualifiers.... oh hey my buddy made a conversion for a 636 ninja rear wheel so we can run 120s in the front and 180s in the rear and he told me that the rear wheel is lighter. he machines the spacers himself to make it fit right.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman325 View Post
So are you doing these trackdays on your V?
Yep. I've done several on the V. It's a blast at the track. VIR has a long front straight where the bigger bikes fly past (the V gets up to about 112 max), but I make up for it in the turns. It does get a little tiring to hang off the V after a full day, but I still enjoy it. It's fun being the only guy with a license plate!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blz2dwl View Post
That said, I like the Road 2CT better on the street. They are a little slippery for the first 4-500 miles until broken in, but once they wake up, they are grippy and feel great. Mileage on the Road 2CT is good too, with an easy 8k out of them and probably more. I am switching out my Road 2CTs this weekend with about 7k on them, but they've also seen 6 trackdays. These are the first touring tires I've run that I could wear the edges out before the center.
thats great to hear about the Road 2CT's, i have some coming monday, and will get to break them in on the track on wed.

i was tired of buying tires every 2K miles, and needed something that will last longer.

i just ran some Continental Cont-Force tires, great tire, hooked up really good , and had a great feel.
centers are gone with only 2k miles one them.

dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode