What % of money do you hope to recoup when selling your used farkles? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

What % of money do you hope to recoup when selling your used farkles?

I notice it depends on the item for sell and how much somebody is willing to pay.

I've noticed on different sites someone might list an item only 20% less than retail for new.

I guess I'm a cheap SOB, because I wouldn't bite unless it's at about 50% or less cost of retail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 05:03 PM

Whatever someone is willing to pay.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 05:06 PM

Garage
If I were to get 50% I'd consider myself lucky.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 07:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
I notice it depends on the item for sell and how much somebody is willing to pay.

I've noticed on different sites someone might list an item only 20% less than retail for new.

I guess I'm a cheap SOB, because I wouldn't bite unless it's at about 50% or less cost of retail.
So, are you saying you would buy new over saving 20% for like New, or you would do without if you can't get it for 50%.

I have seen all kinds. On lesser priced bikes, items that people want, they are willing to pay to save over retail.

The expensive bikes guys would rather buy new than used unless it is a heavy discount.

Of course these are just generalizations.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 07:43 PM

50-66% of the lowest priced new item as long as the used item is in good to very good condition.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 10:15 PM

50% of new is retail used prices.
Hopefully a buyer with cash can do better,
but if in demand, it may be the best you can do.

It's a bargaining starting point anyway for a buyer or seller depending on
how much in demand the part is assuming it is in perfect condition.
You can do good sometimes buying used, but the costs in time, shipping, and
communications, while waiting on an unkown part is not worth the little you save often.

But if they don't make a quality part any more that is available in new condition too, that
would be a bargain for 50%! You had beter buy it before someone else does up to about
75% of new depending. Wasting time looking for something used adds up quickly, and it's
not over until you inspect the item after you receive it (which can seem like forever!)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

Depends on the condition and demand, but about 50% is the most you can get.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 06:23 AM

50% is about the going rate for used swag
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 08:08 PM

Garage
I have gotten up to 80% for parts. I think these guys are hoping you are selling something they want.

I save the original packaging, instructions, any other paperwork or stickers. I make sure the part is in New condition by cleaning, polishing, etc.

My wife has gotten more than she paid selling stuff on eBay. People get into bidding wars for the things she sells.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 09:46 PM

I've had terrible luck selling farkles and in many cases I've rather sold the bike with them than dealing with lowballers. For example, a set of SW-Motech aluminum boxes took almost a year to sell and I got about 35% of the new price. Those boxes were a hard sale because lots of people buy the boxes with the bike and get discounts on them or finance them with the bike.

Then there is also the kind of farkle you're selling. Not many people are willing to spend that much money on boxes unles they are touring, and how many of those are there? I've had an easier time selling used stuff for sportbikes than stuff for ADV bikes.

Either way, last bike I had, I sold it with all the farkles. It was a very rare bike, so finding someone that wanted the farkles would have been really hard. I just sold it like it was, the farkles then become "eye candy" but do nothing to increase the resale.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 10:10 PM

Who would want to sell their Versys 650 anyway? Not me.

From owning 4 BMW's, this one is made as near good and is one hell of a lot more
fun per mile than any bike out there. And being Japanese, it's cheaper to find and buy
add-ons at a much lower price, so just be glad you have that option. It's a part time
job looking for the right add-ons for any other bike except a Harley maybe.

Enjoy the ride and don't sweat the minutia. It's almost not worth the labor or your time
taking most options off and reselling unless you do it for a living and are getting hourly
pay doing it! If it's wrecked, the insurance should cover it, eventually anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode