How I got to here - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How I got to here

In November of 14 my Beemer went to Valhalla and I started looking for a replacement. I wanted a mid displacement sports tourer with emphasis on tourer, and about that time early pictures of the 650 LT began showing up in the mags. My search ended there and I plunked down some earnest money before these things had ever reached the docks. In February the dealer had no info on delivery time and I needed my motor sickle fix,(did I mention my addiction?). So I bought a left over 12 and started adding goodies. Shad hard bags and a Madstad made it look like a pregnant guppy with glasses, heated grips, lowering kit so I could get a leg over, a Sargent seat, mirror extenders and a fat foot on the stand.
After 10k on a bike I settled for I have come to appreciate what competent machine I have, maybe not love yet but no divorce in sight. The V will do everything the BMW would do as well as I could wish, and I can pick it up if I drop it. This thing loves a turn like a puppy loves a ball. Only three regrets, I really believe in ABS. If I ever trade that will be the reason. I really wanted the green, a 2014 would answer both, and that Sargent seat is to slippery. Anyone have a suggestion on that? I keep thinking I should go back to the oem seat. Otherwise the guppy and I are doing well and the looks are growing on me... sorry, feeling chatty today

Last edited by BEACHBUM; 08-05-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Go back to OE seat and work on it , which will be a much cheaper mod..
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 04:28 AM

Garage
I had mine made slightly wider under my legs, made it super comfortable. But then again mine doesn't have the lean forward that others complain about.

Sorry about the fuzzy pic but you get the idea

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 07:43 AM

I've never actually seen a sargent seat.

if you live in Avon you aren't that far from me but it takes forever to get anywhere from there.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
I've never actually seen a sargent seat.

if you live in Avon you aren't that far from me but it takes forever to get anywhere from there.
True statement. 90 miles of every ride is up and down the same beach. Maybe we could meet somewhere in the middle for lunch, as I do with my cousin from Richlands. I'll PM you the next time we have a meet scheduled, see if you are interested
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum.

I have the green 2014 with ABS.

My 1st Versys....

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 10:53 AM

Well said OP ...Kawi Green is really the best color
Current rides...

I do like the ABS and only tested it so far...havn't used it for real

As far as the seat goes, I read the issues on this forum before I bought. I though, modding or new if I had to. At first, wearing only jeans, I found my self slipping forward and bunching up my jeans in my crotch. Not comfortable.

I started wearing my riding pants (partial mesh for summer, full textile for cooler) and the problem went away. Several long rides later coupled with some town driving and the experience I'm having with the seat is now positive.

Good luck!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've got an '09 green V, and recently had a local upholsterer take out about 25% of the foam to test lowering the oem slightly. I'm one of the few who does not have an issue with the seat. I'm now leaning forward more than I want, but if I do a longer ride I'll slap on the sheep skin.

Now for a repeat of an old joke. What does a Versys seat and a cheap hotel have in common? No ballroom.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
I've got an '09 green V, and recently had a local upholsterer take out about 25% of the foam to test lowering the oem slightly. I'm one of the few who does not have an issue with the seat. I'm now leaning forward more than I want, but if I do a longer ride I'll slap on the sheep skin.

Now for a repeat of an old joke. What does a Versys seat and a cheap hotel have in common? No ballroom.
Since raising the seats on ALL three Vs I've owned (shortly after getting them!), I've never had a problem, and there have been quite a few LO-O-NG riding days....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 05:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
In November of 14 my Beemer went to Valhalla and I started looking for a replacement. I wanted a mid displacement sports tourer with emphasis on tourer, and about that time early pictures of the 650 LT began showing up in the mags. My search ended there and I plunked down some earnest money before these things had ever reached the docks. In February the dealer had no info on delivery time and I needed my motor sickle fix,(did I mention my addiction?). So I bought a left over 12 and started adding goodies. Shad hard bags and a Madstad made it look like a pregnant guppy with glasses, heated grips, lowering kit so I could get a leg over, a Sargent seat, mirror extenders and a fat foot on the stand.
After 10k on a bike I settled for I have come to appreciate what competent machine I have, maybe not love yet but no divorce in sight. The V will do everything the BMW would do as well as I could wish, and I can pick it up if I drop it. This thing loves a turn like a puppy loves a ball. Only three regrets, I really believe in ABS. If I ever trade that will be the reason. I really wanted the green, a 2014 would answer both, and that Sargent seat is to slippery. Anyone have a suggestion on that? I keep thinking I should go back to the oem seat. Otherwise the guppy and I are doing well and the looks are growing on me... sorry, feeling chatty today
I am curious as to what Beamer you had and what color your Versys is? I have the white and think she looks like a dream with matching side cases and top box.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

The Beemer was a 1996 R1100RT with 110k miles when the final drive went south. My Versys is Yellow and black. The color is good, I just like the green.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
The Beemer was a 1996 R1100RT with 110k miles when the final drive went south. My Versys is Yellow and black. The color is good, I just like the green.
How about a pic with all your options?

It sounds like you have the best of all models and paint.

Have you ever had abs brakes on a motorcycle and used them like you
needed to stop (before you hit something)?

Put the Ebc copper metal pads instead of the stock steel bit pads: it's the difference
between stopping and freaking out every time you need them. $105 for all 3
brakes at Rocky Mountain atv/motorcycle. I REALLY don't know how people
stop at all with the OEM (or any) steel bit pads: they really suck bad, extra bad.

Last edited by kawdog; 08-06-2015 at 10:56 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
How about a pic with all your options?

It sounds like you have the best of all models and paint.

Have you ever had abs brakes on a motorcycle and used them like you
needed to stop (before you hit something)?

Put the Ebc copper metal pads instead of the stock steel bit pads: it's the difference
between stopping and freaking out every time you need them. $105 for all 3
brakes at Rocky Mountain atv/motorcycle. I REALLY don't know how people
stop at all with the OEM (or any) steel bit pads: they really suck bad, extra bad.
The Beemer had ABS, and last summer I had a panic situation, grabbed all the brakes as hard as I could. I did not feel the ABS kick in but I was glad it was there. Not sure I know how to post a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys 010.jpg (112.0 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by BEACHBUM; 08-07-2015 at 08:12 AM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
...I REALLY don't know how people
I have the ORIGINAL pads on my '08, and HAD ORIGINAL pads on my '09 - over a TOTAL of about 96,000 MILES between the two - and I NEVER felt that they "sucked" (to use your words)....

Once in a moment of inattention I had to stop in a hurry (on the '08) and left around 10' of rubber on the hwy.

SINCE that time I up-graded the master cylinder to the '09 version on it, as well as three stainless-braded brake lines.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I have the ORIGINAL pads on my '08, and HAD ORIGINAL pads on my '09 - over a TOTAL of about 96,000 MILES between the two - and I NEVER felt that they "sucked" (to use your words)....

Once in a moment of inattention I had to stop in a hurry (on the '08) and left around 10' of rubber on the hwy.

SINCE that time I up-graded the master cylinder to the '09 version on it, as well as three stainless-braded brake lines.

Just search the web for overwhelming positive results for copper pads being race worthy. Fortunately they were correct! I was sliding and brake fading until I got them. It was scary as hell until I got the copper pads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode