Horny Old Man - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Horny Old Man

I was at a stoplight today when it turned green, the numbskull in front of me just sat there. It was then that I came to know what a wimpy, useless horn the Versys really has. I am not even sure they could hear it over their rap music.

So, I am looking for suggestion on a replacement horn. I am not sure I need to go all the way to an air horn, but I definitely want something as loud as a car horn (like my Goldwing has). Also, there seems to be plenty of space in front where my stock horn is, so I would like to locate something there (2010 V).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 01:57 PM

i've heard of people replacing stock motorbike horns with volkswagen horns....

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 03:13 PM

+1 on the title of the thread. haha.

"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

One of its kind and very nice sound, sure attrach a lot of attention. Sound of olden days car. Not sure weather they make such horns now, HAve been keeping it for more than 15years and thought I fit on the V. Italian Made.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:59 AM

Whats all this about a relay needing fitting, and what is a relay?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Your stock horn would work better IF it got a full 12v when you hit the horn button. What a relay does, is allow your horn to trigger an electric switch so that the FULL 12v gets to the horn.
This is done by connecting certain parts of the relay to be attached DIRECTLY to the battery, while your horn circuits "trigger" a solenoid ONLY, which then directs the full 12v to the battery.
Hope this gives you a little help....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:48 PM

My Stebel sure wakes them up!!! Make sure you use a relay with any horn you install to get the full power out of it. I can make people jump with mine...I think they are expecting to see a dump truck in their mirror!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 03:33 AM

Thanks for the info on the Relay guys!

I have seen one on e bay and with delivery its about 32 pounds.Canīt put a price on safety....but thats a good price all the same
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 07:54 AM

A $15 freeway blaster is very loud and easy to install.

http://www.fiammamerica.com/Product.asp?ProductID=156

You can get these at any auto parts stores.
Ignore the sound file on the website, the horn doesn't sound anything like it.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post

One of its kind and very nice sound, sure attrach a lot of attention. Sound of olden days car. Not sure weather they make such horns now, HAve been keeping it for more than 15years and thought I fit on the V. Italian Made.

Hahaaaa! You put the aooga on your V! Very cool.

Yep, they still make them and when I saw it again on a website a few days ago, I considered getting one for my V. I already have a Stebel so I was thinking of running a separate trigger circuit for the aooga. ...But then I reasoned it would be too big to hide, so I didn't buy it.

+1 on the relay.
Whichever air horn or electric car horn you get make sure you feed it 12V through thick gauge wire straight from the battery, through a relay. You can use the current power wires of the feeble OEM horn to trigger the relay.
For air horns:
I like the Stebel Nautilus compact, but others have good experiences with the FIAMM Highway Blaster or similar loudmouths.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:07 AM

I bought the Fiamm highway blasters a while ago, for another bike. I plan on installing them on the V soon. I have the high and low horns, and hope to install one in the stock spot and one under the lower left engine cowl. I decided that mounting 2 in front won't clear the front fender when the front forks are compressed. I've painted the horns flat black, and tested them in the garage. My ears were ringing for 2 days after that! They are loud! When you install a high and a low horn, they are harmonically tuned such that their sounds reinforce each other, adding more volume than you would normally expect (like a small chorus).
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:08 AM

Oops, I meant the lower right engine cowl.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

I am hoping that one of the Flamm (low tone) horns will be better than the stock horn.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseman View Post
I am hoping that one of the Flamm (low tone) horns will be better than the stock horn.
The freeway blaster is quite loud. It hurts my ears to blast it in my garage.
And it works with the stock wiring.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
Hahaaaa! You put the aooga on your V! Very cool.

Yep, they still make them and when I saw it again on a website a few days ago, I considered getting one for my V. I already have a Stebel so I was thinking of running a separate trigger circuit for the aooga. ...But then I reasoned it would be too big to hide, so I didn't buy it.

+1 on the relay.
Whichever air horn or electric car horn you get make sure you feed it 12V through thick gauge wire straight from the battery, through a relay. You can use the current power wires of the feeble OEM horn to trigger the relay.
For air horns:
I like the Stebel Nautilus compact, but others have good experiences with the FIAMM Highway Blaster or similar loudmouths.
Pretbek;86597

Thanks god you reconized the Horn. I was thinking I was the only one in the planet. Got a two way switch, which can go from standard to aooga.

aaaaooooogggaaa
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Pretbek;86597

Thanks god you reconized the Horn. I was thinking I was the only one in the planet. Got a two way switch, which can go from standard to aooga.

aaaaooooogggaaa

My dad installed one on his pick up truck when I was a kid. It was funny seeing the looks on peoples faces when we drove by & he hit the horn. I bet it's a real hoot on the bike!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode