texting propaganda - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
texting propaganda

Silly idea i suppose but....
if we all printed up fliers with the "graphic txting PSA" from Wales.(
)
and took an hour to place them on 25 cars in shopping center parking lots maybe we can make a difference.

maybe we can raise public awareness.

maybe we can help stop the madness.

Cuz if ya ask me, cell phone use of any kind should be outlawed in all 50 states.
With 200 dollar fines and loss of license for one year.

I stopped using the phone in the car a year ago and i don't miss it.

Hit em hard I say....make it hurt before they all kill someone.
...and that someone may be YOU or even worse....your child.

Cuz no one should ever have to bury there child.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 08:29 AM

I agree wholeheartedly.....Cell phone usage is a privilege not a right.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedGP View Post
I agree wholeheartedly.....Cell phone usage is a privilege not a right.
...and lest we forget....DRIVING IS A PRIVILEGE TOO.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 09:32 AM

As much as I abhor the lethal morons who drive while staring at their phones..., I don’t want to see all vehicle phone use outlawed – or next it will be GPS use, drinking water, etc., etc., etc.

Using a phone with a wireless headset or speakerphone and voice activated controls shouldn’t be any more of a problematic distraction to the driver than holding a conversation with a passenger — but therein lies the essence of the problem...

It is the combination of those people who are texting, looking up phone numbers, holding the phone to their ear (so that it becomes too much trouble to turn their head & look... or don’t have a free hand to signal...) and the fundamentally incompetent drivers who aren’t capable of even holding a conversation with a passenger without forgetting that they’re driving.

We already have perfectly adequate existing laws to handle the situation but they’re not being used & enforced, e.g., I believe that driver hand-held phone use and texting is already banned in most (if not all) states but it’s rare that people are cited for it... and if someone is caught doing something really egregious – like drifting into the oncoming lane, etc., while staring at their phone – they should be arrested and charged with Misdemeanor Reckless Driving, have their license suspended and be fined $1000 with a possible 1 year in prison!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 09:37 AM

In Spain even wireless headsets are now illegal. The only permitted phone use are the type that are built into the car.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

BTW....most states have laws against any kind of drinking/eating and driving..(.it's called being distracted)........regardless of substance consumed. water included.
GPS is not a necessity. we did just fine without it...needless invention.
highly amplified car audio should have legal limits.
( and an ear-piece for phone is restrictive to hearing and directional sound comprehension ....passenger voices/ radio are ambient sounds.....theirs a difference in the level of distraction they create).
I hear what your saying Hardware, but we are dealing with a society that is so incredibly, selfishly centered on the "ME", that we need to take harsh action.

If I am not mistaken, there was a time in Australia's history when drunk driving meant losing you privilege to drive ...PERMANENTLY!
we need that here cuz the majority of americans just don't give a DAM!

I say give no quarter....take no prisoners...your piloting the most deadliest weapon known to mankind and after all...and mankind in all his arrogance... is only the smartest monkey.

Last edited by stagehand38; 05-31-2010 at 12:16 PM.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:25 AM

Sorry Hardware can't agree with on a non banning of phones...I drive a ton...IMO at least 1/2 the drivers on the road are dangerous or incompetent or both(no signals, no judgment, no knowledge of laws, no frigging clue) even without a phone...Add a phone to the mix and you have something lethal. Screwing around with the GPS, drinking water, etc is no less dangerous. As human animals we all have the great emotion called "denial" and we use it to justify our ability to be distracted or dangerous. Just ask anyone, they all think they are great drivers and can multi anything while driving, right? Its all those other people out there, not them...
Ban the phones, period...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
... GPS is not a necessity. we did just fine without it...needless invention.

... we are dealing with a society that is so incredibly, selfishly centered on the "ME", that we need to take harsh action.
But consider the laws of unintended consequences... How many accidents are avoided by GPS users who aren’t distracted by reading a map or looking for landmarks & road signs ...

I’m not saying we shouldn’t take harsh action, quite the contrary, I would have it be extremely harsh. I just don’t think that we need a new & specific law to ban each & every item, `pointy corner’ and `sharp edge’ that could conceivably cause someone harm... Laws like “Careless Driving”, “Reckless Driving” and “Driving While Impaired”, etc., can cover all the desired bases... but only if they are enforced and the penalties are so appropriately severe that it changes people’s behavior.

I fear that we are rapidly sliding down a slippery slope where the government will control EVERYTHING we are allowed to do, eat, use, possess, consume,... and I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 11:20 AM

Laws don't stop dumb asses from being dumb asses. A law says "We feel this is wrong and IF you do this AND we catch you AND the judge properly interprets this law you MIGHT get this penalty". Raise awareness. Take an MSF class, maintain safe distance, wear bright and proper gear, obey current speed limits and expect that SUV in front of you to contain a dumb ass with a cell phone stuck to his/hear left ear. If I do all that and my ticket gets punched, it's punched. No law would have saved me anyway. Responsible drivers don't text,talk,eat or drink while driving or drive with their knees. Trying to control dumb asses is like trying to herd cats and expecting a law to save you from a dumb ass on a cell phone is equally pointless.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Maybe you guys will, agree too ban Handphone in car after looking at this pictures:-

Why cant auto manufactures fit jamming device for phones in their cars.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

I gottchya hardware.

Then law enforcement needs to start making sure everyone ( including the dumb-ass cops that chat on cellphones while driving) start obeying every law....not just nailing the folk going 5 mph over the speed limit (their the least of the problem). A nice hefty 500 dollar fine for "driving while impaired(using a cell phone) would be a nice start. (and not all officers are dumb-asses....only the ones that think their entitled to break the laws they swear to uphold).

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 02:49 PM

There are many drivers that are more dangerous with no distraction than some are while texting (or, whatever)?? How do you square that?? If we outlawed idiot drivers there would be few autos sold; few driver's licenses (states even more broke), drive thru food vendors would close, etc., etc. Where will it end?????
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcctx View Post
There are many drivers that are more dangerous with no distraction than some are while texting (or, whatever)?? How do you square that?? If we outlawed idiot drivers there would be fewer autos sold; fewer driver's licenses (states even more broke), drive thru food vendors would close, etc., etc. Where will it end?????
either I applaud your sarcasm...or your saying continue to 'lower the bar'. That's what has gotten this nation where it is in the first place.

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 06:37 PM

While on a ride on Sunday I saw a lady on the back of a cruiser texting someone. What everyone hasn't mentioned is the loss of productivity in jobs and life that cell phones cause. Drive by a construction site and 3-5 people will be on the phone, the rude person at the register in front of you, with no respect for others, on the phone, people jogging and walking dogs on the phone---everywhere you look people are addictted to being able to always be in touch with someone. Cell phones have their place, they have saved many people from crimes and quicker notification of accidents/injury. The problem with cell phones is PEOPLE!!! They have become such a way of life we will never see it end, but strict governing of usage on the road and in public will help cut down on the problems that can arise from improper/inconsiderate usage. I would love to see signal blockers installed in all stores and resturaunts. Any call that is that important you can get from voice mail when exiting. This is my opinion on a topic that is going to get worse before it gets better!!
Be safe fellow Versys owners!!

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Mankind has lost its direction and all the IT device and High Tech devise will one day ruin our life if we don't do something about it.

End of the day, you make a choice to live with it or without it. What is so important in this world worth losing you life for. Use of handphone has got its limitations and places.

On your part just switch it off when you are on your bike or car. Tell your family/friends/employer to leave voice message.

Economics and safety are two different matters.

post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
While on a ride on Sunday I saw a lady on the back of a cruiser texting someone. What everyone hasn't mentioned is the loss of productivity in jobs and life that cell phones cause. Drive by a construction site and 3-5 people will be on the phone, the rude person at the register in front of you, with no respect for others, on the phone, people jogging and walking dogs on the phone---everywhere you look people are addictted to being able to always be in touch with someone. Cell phones have their place, they have saved many people from crimes and quicker notification of accidents/injury. The problem with cell phones is PEOPLE!!! They have become such a way of life we will never see it end, but strict governing of usage on the road and in public will help cut down on the problems that can arise from improper/inconsiderate usage. I would love to see signal blockers installed in all stores and resturaunts. Any call that is that important you can get from voice mail when exiting. This is my opinion on a topic that is going to get worse before it gets better!!
Be safe fellow Versys owners!!
+20 on the signal blockers

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 09:47 PM
NYG

A good step would be to equate texting and driving with DUI and proceed from there--it would help establish how serious the problem is.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should say that I don't own a cell phone, so it is easy for me to say that. I teach high school and would love to see the blockers made legal. A forty minute class without having to confiscate a cell phone or make a student put one away would be great.

Ahhh, I sound like a stodgy old man and I'm only forty.

NYG
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
either I applaud your sarcasm...or your saying continue to 'lower the bar'. That's what has gotten this nation where it is in the first place.
Just an observation~ One should not think DLs and traffic laws have any relevance to safety; they are both just tax mechanisms. I should go now, my cynical bent is starting to show.
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcctx View Post
Just an observation~ One should not think DLs and traffic laws have any relevance to safety; they are both just tax mechanisms. I should go now, my cynical bent is starting to show.
...NO_NO_NO!!!! Don't go!!!!
every voice needs to be heard...Must be heard!
...and I'm as cynical as the next malcontent

BUT......revenue raising mechanisms not withstanding, IMHO...the only way you can ever change behavior in our society is to hit'em in the pocketbook/wallet.
Cuz like it or not, If you wait for the majority 'people' to do the right thing...
you'll be waiting a very very very long time.
(how's that for cynicism?)

...and IF theirs a god in heaven...he;s got a sticky note on his/her computer monitor that reads: NOTE TO SELF..." big brain AND opposable thumb...never ever do THAT again!"

post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 11:54 AM

I think you are missing the big picture here!!!

What would all the Scum bag lawyers (Ambulance chasers) and Judges do with all the spare time they would have

And then how could the insurance Companies justify rate increases

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode