Dropped my V1K - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Dropped my V1K

A couple of days ago I was out for a 2 hr. ride and on the way back I pulled into a gas station for some water and peanuts. The parking apron at the front of the building was sloped upwards a lot (about 20-30 degrees). When I got back on the bike to leave I slipped back about 10 ft. and instead of going all the way down to level ground, I stopped. I decided to make a hard right forward across the face of the slope by braking and throttling with my right hand and riding the clutch with my left. Less than a second later, I mean really, really fast, the bike dropped down hard on it's right side. I found myself lying on my right side a few ft. away from the bike. I reckon I hit the ground hard because my sunglasses had flown off my head, even though my helmut was still on.

At that point, a young guy who had been filling up his truck came running over yelling "Are you OK? Are you OK?" I assured him that I was. He helped me up and after a couple of minutes I fully realized what had happened. He helped me get the bike up (I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done it alone) and while he pulled outward on the left grip, I straightened out the hand guard brace by doing likewise on the right. He then helped me back the bike down to level ground. We looked the bike over, I thanked him profusely, fired her up and rode home.

I looked the bike over really hard when I got back. Some minor scratching along one edge of the right saddlebag and the screw attaching the right hand guard to the brace was gone. That's it. Nothing else. Evidently, the right hand guard brace took the major hit and stopped my front brake lever from breaking in the process.

BTW, while I was still on that slope cranking the bars hard right, I remember a little voice telling me "Really. Bad. Idea". I didn't listen. I should have.

So...I thought I'd share this little adventure with you guys along with a few afterthoughts:
I fell. I'm fine. The bike's fine.
Listen to that %$*@ing little voice, damn it.
My right elbow and shoulder are glad that I was wearing my armored jacket.
Many thanks to the young fella who helped me (he mentioned that he rode too)
I'm really lucky that there was so little damage to the bike.
That's a tough %$*@ing bike!

For anyone who ever thinks of starting from a standstill on a 550 lb. bike with the handlebars cranked hard downslope across the face of the slope while braking and throttling with one hand and riding the clutch with the other, I hope you make it.

Thanks guys.

2008 Ninja 250
2009 KLR 650
2015 Versys 1000 LT

Bob
Menasha, WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 05:06 AM

Glad to hear you're OK and that the bike is OK.

A broken collar bone or arm would have sucked.

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canit View Post
A couple of days ago I was out for a 2 hr. ride and on the way back I pulled into a gas station for some water and peanuts. The parking apron at the front of the building was sloped upwards a lot (about 20-30 degrees). When I got back on the bike to leave I slipped back about 10 ft. and instead of going all the way down to level ground, I stopped. I decided to make a hard right forward across the face of the slope by braking and throttling with my right hand and riding the clutch with my left. Less than a second later, I mean really, really fast, the bike dropped down hard on it's right side. I found myself lying on my right side a few ft. away from the bike. I reckon I hit the ground hard because my sunglasses had flown off my head, even though my helmut was still on.

At that point, a young guy who had been filling up his truck came running over yelling "Are you OK? Are you OK?" I assured him that I was. He helped me up and after a couple of minutes I fully realized what had happened. He helped me get the bike up (I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done it alone) and while he pulled outward on the left grip, I straightened out the hand guard brace by doing likewise on the right. He then helped me back the bike down to level ground. We looked the bike over, I thanked him profusely, fired her up and rode home.

I looked the bike over really hard when I got back. Some minor scratching along one edge of the right saddlebag and the screw attaching the right hand guard to the brace was gone. That's it. Nothing else. Evidently, the right hand guard brace took the major hit and stopped my front brake lever from breaking in the process.

BTW, while I was still on that slope cranking the bars hard right, I remember a little voice telling me "Really. Bad. Idea". I didn't listen. I should have.

So...I thought I'd share this little adventure with you guys along with a few afterthoughts:
I fell. I'm fine. The bike's fine.
Listen to that %$*@ing little voice, damn it.
My right elbow and shoulder are glad that I was wearing my armored jacket.
Many thanks to the young fella who helped me (he mentioned that he rode too)
I'm really lucky that there was so little damage to the bike.
That's a tough %$*@ing bike!

For anyone who ever thinks of starting from a standstill on a 550 lb. bike with the handlebars cranked hard downslope across the face of the slope while braking and throttling with one hand and riding the clutch with the other, I hope you make it.

Thanks guys.
Stay away from that front brake at low speeds.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Ouch!

I'm always careful about parking on slopes.
Always straight up and straight back down - never on an angle.
That or avoid them and find a flat area to park.

Glad you and bike are ok.

Now go back and ask for the video footage
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Ouch!

+1

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 07:55 AM

Garage
Canit, glad you weren't hurt and that you shared your experience to help others

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Ouch!

Now go back and ask for the video footage
Sounds like some of you need to practice crossing the face of a slope. That is where two wheels shine over four wheels.

Start with small slopes and work your way up to steeper ones. You can't avoid every potential situation. It is better to prepare for them.

"Street Strategies" and "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough can help make you aware and prepare for the situations you may encounter.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Canit, glad you weren't hurt and that you shared your experience to help others

Sounds like some of you need to practice crossing the face of a slope. That is where two wheels shine over four wheels.

Start with small slopes and work your way up to steeper ones. You can't avoid every potential situation. It is better to prepare for them.

"Street Strategies" and "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough can help make you aware and prepare for the situations you may encounter.
My tips were for parking.
I ride all slopes just fine.
I have 35+ years riding like a goat chasing goats/sheep in the rough hills and scrub.

Last edited by Gigitt; 08-02-2015 at 09:45 AM.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 09:57 AM

Garage
Glad you and the bike are relatively unhurt. Just out of curosity are your handguards the Kawasaki OEM?
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 11:31 AM

Tall heavy bricks are EXTRA tough to handle going slow on slopes. Unless you are big and tall too, it's going to be a fight in the city going real slow.

You did a good job in a difficult situation. Low speed wrecks prevent high speed wrecks We all do it. Keep an eye on your bike for things cracked/bent that are not easy to see.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies boys.

Just to clarify. I was using the front brake to stop from rolling backwards. When she fell, we were still standing still.

Maverick - yup, OEM.
Gigitt - That's actually a great idea.
Kawdog - You waited to diss me back on the "brick" thing - nicely done. BTW, as I've said before, I found the V1K to be more stable at slow speed

2008 Ninja 250
2009 KLR 650
2015 Versys 1000 LT

Bob
Menasha, WI
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:

When I first got my Versys I remember thinking that the front brakes were very touchy/front brake dive was ridiculous; I may have even posted about it ...

Long story short "Stay away from that front brake at low speeds" and its all good.

The OP's situation was just an awkward one it seems.. glad you/the bike are ok.

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 11:24 AM

At least it's more dignified than forgetting to deploy the side stand. More than once.

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

I have fallen TWICE (that I recall......) starting up a slope w/ a turn downhill simultaneous to starting, ONCE in Kelowna on the GREEN HORNET two years ago, and down in AZ on BIG RED, again, a couple of years ago.

BOTH times people came to my rescue...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 02:28 PM

I am glad you and the bike are ok. I found out how heavy the bike is, I dropped it once right in my driveway backing out. I went from my driveway level, to the porch level and couldn't reach the ground, so down we went. Thank goodness I had a buddy of mine near by to help me pick it back up. The only damage it suffered was a scrape on right hand guard since most of it fell on the grass. I changed the way I back it out now and so far so good.

"Life is a ride, might as well do it on a motorcycle"
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 09:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by canit View Post
Thanks for the replies boys.

Just to clarify. I was using the front brake to stop from rolling backwards. When she fell, we were still standing still.

Maverick - yup, OEM.
Good to know they can take a hit like the BarkBusters, I saw a guy drop a Triumph Tiger 800 at standstill the Triumph handguards were useless and resulted in a broken brake lever many kilometers from home. Needless to say if I buy a Tiger (which I really like) I'll be fitting BarkBusters.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again fellas. Good to know I'm not the only one.

2008 Ninja 250
2009 KLR 650
2015 Versys 1000 LT

Bob
Menasha, WI
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 05:43 PM

Some V1K owner here did almost $700 damage backing into it sweeping his garage out! A little fiberglass (REAL easy to work with) and a couple of cans of Rustoleum from Walmart would almost have fixed most of it: but it was a brand new bike and he had the money (I'll Never have the money when cheaper will do.)

Mine was dropped and I did the same thing, and it looks brand new, except a little character if you look at the flat gloss black paint close (kind of like a perfect pragmatic supermoto tourer.) I can barely hold mine up in most all situations, but the 4 cylinder tanks, I just go, "oh $hit!" and "LLLetttss get ready to tumble" (but I drive more conservative to match the brick's mass, weight, and clearance specifications, like anyone else for that matter.) The bricks are wonderful pragmatic machines, but when you get used to the vertical twins or single street bikes, nothing else comes close in handling fun: or Safety. And Saddlebag likes the V1K's mass because he is looking to kick the dear who snapped his femur in two's a$$!
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
And Saddlebag likes the V1K's mass because he is looking to kick the dear who snapped his femur in two's a$$!
Yeah, that extra 50 lbs will show him!
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that extra 50 lbs will show him!
50 lbs?!?! According to Kawasaki, for 2015 the difference is 549 - 475 = 74 lbs / rationalized 50 lbs = 148% rationalization.

OR taking the average 2012 model's weight which would be closer to most members (which you infer by not noting the difference) here would be 549 - 454 = 95 lbs / rationalized 50 lbs = 190% rationalization.

Yes, I think an extra 95 lbs at 45 mph would knock the stuffing out of that evil deer and would be enough to shear it's head off with the difference alone. Thanks for helping to quantify your rationalizations up to 90% error rate beyond the truth: sounds about right

Last edited by kawdog; 08-04-2015 at 10:11 PM.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
50 lbs?!?! According to Kawasaki, for 2015 the difference is 549 - 475 = 74 lbs / rationalized 50 lbs = 148% rationalization.

OR taking the average 2012 model's weight which would be closer to most members (which you infer by not noting the difference) here would be 549 - 454 = 95 lbs / rationalized 50 lbs = 190% rationalization.

Yes, I think an extra 95 lbs at 45 mph would knock the stuffing out of that evil deer and would be enough to shear it's head off with the difference alone. Thanks for helping to quantify your rationalizations up to 90% error rate beyond the truth: sounds about right
You are comparing a nekid bike to one set up for touring. If I remove the bags, luggage rack, centerstand, handguards, etc, I think we'd be looking at ~50 lbs, and probably less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode