Very hot weather, what ya'll wear - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Very hot weather, what ya'll wear

So I have the benefit of living in a tropical environment and am way too pretty (I can dream) and way too poor (no dreaming here) for reconstructive surgery.

I have developed the habit of being totally covered when riding, I habit I plan on keeping,

I wear,
Full Helmet - though I do plan on a convertible (Nolan N44)
Armored Jacket - Icon Anthem
Long Pants (not armored)
Strong Shoes (not ankle protected)
Icon Gloves

So what do ya'll wear?

The acquisition of my 08 650 was not traditional (took as part-ex on a truck sale), got an Icon anthem jacket with it, which is too large and doesn't have any adjustments. had a Joe Rocket mesh jacket I wore on the KLR650 I had a few years ago, which I liked.

Looking for suggestions on a suitable armor to wear in a tropical environment, bike is used several times daily for short trips, so looking for something easy to put on/off, as this is a several times a day event..

TIA, Glen
St Thomas VI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You might like to take a look at www.motorcyclegear.com and www.whitehorsegear.com They have a good selection of mesh jackets and, more importantly, they offer detailed and honest descriptions of the products.

You might also want to try an evaporative vest. They aren't perfect but they do help. I know www.motorcyclesuperstore.com sells them and believe the other two online stores do.

www.webbikeworld.com also is known for detailed and objective product reviews.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 07-31-2015 at 10:12 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 10:56 PM

Garage
Very hot weather, what ya'll wear

I have been very happy with my old Kush.itani in hot weather....AZ tested year round

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Brian

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 04:10 AM

For some timew I have been using
  • BMW Airflow Jacket
  • Draggin Jeans without armour
  • BMW Airflow Gloves
  • Local made boots

Helmet: I use modular and have used both Shoei Multitec and Schuberth C3. Both lasted around 18 months before the lining started to fall to pieces and plastics start to degrade but that is due to the weather in Cambodia and the rain/humidity.

The Draggin jeans lasted 2 years before suffering. I brought over 4 pairs 3 years ago and only have one left and that is on its last legs.

Now in a process of replacement:

Just bought Shoei Neotec and Alpinestars SMX-3 when on a trip to Bangkok two weeks ago and now realise I had left my helmets too long for replacement.

Have ordered Cordura Tropical Jeans from http://asserogea and they will arrive in September and about to order Alpinestars SP-1 Vented shoes.

Would really like a Kevlar undershirt 3 quarter sleeve so I can wear normal shirts over.

Ride every day lots of short journeys as it is motorcycle (well scooter- Honda Dream) city here and only use the BMW Airflow Jacket for long journeys. It has been wonderful light breezy and secure. It has lasted well and covered around 10,000km still looking OK.

Gloves only get used on journeys greater than 50km and never for daily short riding. I know but I kept losing one glove so have multiple singles - seems always to be the right hand glove????

Round town most of the time the front is flipped up except when raining when the visor is cranked. I try to avoid riding in the rain as it sends the drivers and other riders crazy here (crazier than normal) and never ever ever ride after dark outside town - it is just far too dangerous (headlights are optional here as are all road laws unless there is a policeman waiting at the corner collecting donations).

Hot weather kit is difficult to find anywhere and non existent in Cambodia. For the locals they wear fleece jackets in the winter when the tempretaure drops to 23-24 degrees celcius (73-75 Fahrenheit)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 06:31 AM

Central Florida here...

Mesh Jacket (black) over T-Shirt
Jeans (regular)
Sturdy ankle-high boots
Held Gloves
Arai XD4 Helmet

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by millarg View Post
So what do ya'll wear?
Same stuff I always wear. Temps never seem to effect me much. Just stop more often for drinks I suppose.

For around town, I do like mesh jackets, but if I'm traveling, I put on my textile waterproof gear and unzip the vents.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 10:16 AM

Same stuff I always wear. Motoport kevlar mesh two piece, full face helmet, gauntlet gloves (carry a mesh set and waterproof set), full boots. It's hot and not trivial to put on but there's no free lunch.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 10:26 AM

Ride naked . . . except for helmet!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Helmet - full face (USUALLY modular); mesh jacket, pants and gloves (ALL w/ armor); kidney belt; and boots.

And it regularly gets to 90F+ (and over 100F occasionally!) here.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-01-2015 at 12:57 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Ride naked . . . except for helmet!
See it in south TX all the time. Well - some wear wifebeaters with boxers and flip flops.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 01:28 PM

...and a ball cap.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 02:17 PM

Can-Am X1 helmet with Scott goggles. Between them my face is covered but there is tons of airflow.
Frank Thomas Red Route armoured denim jacket and jeans, the jeans have a kevlar lining. I have a kevlar long sleeved shirt I can wear under the jacket.
Frank Thomas Kinetik summer glove with lots of pinhole vents in the fingers.
IXS Madox Gortex boots (which I wear all year round) as I have never had my feet overheat. They are tall and reach up to the knee armour in the jeans.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 05:29 PM

Its been low to mid 90's here with unusually high humidity.

I run a CL-17 helmet which gets plenty of air. JR Phoenix Mesh Jacket. Cant remember the model of JR riding pants but they have the panels that zip completely off.......you know, so you can keep your cash and prizes cool. Gloves have that micro mesh on the back. TCX Air Gore Tex boots. Air doesn't move through them. But they clearly throw a ton of excessive heat off your feet to keep them from frying. My socks are dry when I take them off.

All this stuff is surprisingly comfortable as long as air is moving through it. If you stop to take a break, jack, gloves and helmet have to come off quick or I'm sweating my butt off.

If it gets any hotter here, I'm going with helmet, gloves, boots, and mankini.

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
In the tropical heat I wear full mesh jacket with CE armor, FF helmet with plenty of vents, Mesh gauntlet gloves with armor, Mesh pants with armor, Over the ankle motorcycle boots.

Under that gear I wear wicking socks, wicking underwear, quick dry shorts, wicking T-shirt, wicking head wear, wicking neck wear.

When it is extremely hot I wear a cooling vest, and / or cooling neck liner.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Super squid. T-shirt gloves pants and shoes

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
...If it gets any hotter here, I'm going with helmet, gloves, boots, and mankini.
I WAS gonna post that I gotta SEE that, but then, on second thought - NOT! Anyways......

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 06:16 PM

Garage
Full face Shoei rf1200
Revit gloves

Olympia Dakar Dual Sport Pants. They are listed as overpants but I got them to fit as my only layer. They flow a TON of air and have plenty of pockets. I can also unzip the lower parts and convert them into shorts. On most rides I unzip the bottoms on the sides when walking around. It is quicker then taking them off. I plan on getting another pair.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/o...al-sport-pants

For my jacket it run the Rev'it Airwave silver with hi-vis. It also flows pretty damn well and I like the back protector as well as the elbows/forearms. The hi vis works damn well.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-airwave-jacket

Underarmor long sleeve shirt under the jacket helps a ton. I only really notice it working when I start riding after parking up and hanging out. By that time I have worked up some sweat and it is blown off as I start riding.

For boots I either run a set of Alpinestars tech 7s for my DRZ or my Sidi for the versys. I tried a pair of these suckers after reading some great reviews on ADVrider.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041OJGHE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00
My feet are moist when done with a full day riding. Not soaked like they used to be. They also run higher then the boots so that helps.

Hope this helps.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Cortech GX Sport Air 3.0 mesh jacket, Bilt cooling vest, Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 mesh pants, Alpinestars S-MX 1 boots, Taichi Velocity leather mesh gloves, Shoei Qwest helmet, Taichi Cool Ride helmet inner liner.

I wear Target brand athletic underwear, shirts and socks under my gear. The sweat wicking works great! I'm also buying a Rev'It neck cooler.

This gear setup has been working well for me in the San Antonio Texas heat ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode