Avon Distanzia vs Metzler Tourance EXP - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Avon Distanzia vs Metzler Tourance EXP

I am thinking about getting a set of one of these two tires. I have not made up my mind yet but I want to try out these meatier treaded tires once.
Anyone have experience on either tire? Also I am having trouble finding them in 160/60 17 rear and 120/70 17 front. Do they make them in sizes for the V?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 09:47 PM

I run the shinko 705s which is essentially the tourance tire but tread wears faster and hslf tge price I really like em. You willnotice an increased gyro effect resisting turning at first from the meatier tires but you will adjust.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

I went ahead and ordered the Distanzias today. I think I will like them from what I have seen and from what I expect from them.

I will update on them as I go forward, should start later this week.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 01:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaofan View Post
I am thinking about getting a set of one of these two tires. I have not made up my mind yet but I want to try out these meatier treaded tires once.
Anyone have experience on either tire? Also I am having trouble finding them in 160/60 17 rear and 120/70 17 front. Do they make them in sizes for the V?
The original Tourance along with the Tourance EXP are no longer manufactured by Metzler although some stores may have old stock. They were superseded by the Metzler Tourance Next in late 2014/early 2015. The Tourance Next is manufactured in 120/70-17 & 160/60-17 sizes to fit the Versys while the original Tourance and Tourance EXP were never manufactured in those sizes although some people fitted 130/80 rear tires to the front wheel and 150/70 to the rear with the older Metzler tires. In the 90/10 category there is also the Pirelli Scorpion 2. Metzler is now owned by Pirelli and their motorcycle tires may even be made in the same factory as Pirelli Motorcycle tires.

http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/prod...ance-next.html

Last edited by twowheels; 08-01-2015 at 06:13 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 05:22 AM

The original Tourance will outlast the EXP or Next. Thatīs been my experience.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko View Post
The original Tourance will outlast the EXP or Next. Thatīs been my experience.
Mine TOO!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 08:21 PM

I've had nothing but Distanzia's on my bike and think they are a good tire. They've done everything I've ever wanted from them.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
I've had nothing but Distanzia's on my bike and think they are a good tire. They've done everything I've ever wanted from them.
Cool, that's what I like to hear! I will have mine later this week. Good thing I got them when I did, I just found some threads showing on my rear tire, I never noticed it got so bald so fast! Extremely hot summer here, maybe those hot roads are wearing it down faster than normal.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 03:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaofan View Post
I went with the Heindenau K60 rear and the Perilli MT-60 front. I have been really happy with the performance. The K60 looks like it will last forever. The Perilli seems to be wearing fast but I expected that.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Got my Distanzia's installed today, they look great! I have to say that switching from a pure street tire to one that has a little off road capability was a big change in how the bike handles! I thought I was drunk when I pulled out of the dealers lot! Just a big change in how it handles and turns etc. I am sure it will just take some getting use to, felt much better after 20 miles or so, going back out now for a ride to break them in!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 01:10 PM

Garage
I did not see this thread earlier, but the only complaint I had with my Distanzia's was that they seemed to wear down pretty quickly... Hope you get better wear than I did!

'09 Versys
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:36 AM

I replaced a rear Pirelli Scorpion trail for the Distanzia super moto tire. Excellent grip, I now have no chicken strips on my rear tire.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 11:46 PM

I have Distanzia on mine as well, after 8,000 miles though, they are in need of replacement. My front is getting "bumps" along the tread, the tire actually looks wavy, and I noticed a split in the sidewall on the rear. They will get me till the end of the season, but will need to be replaced next year. I put them on new in July 2012.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 05:49 AM

My front Distanzia had started cupping too, but I rotated it at about 9,000 km and now have 20,000 km on it. Front Distanzia's thread direction is actually more conventional when reversed.

Distanzia is now obsolete as it's being replaced with the new Trail Rider.

TrailRider | Avon Tyres

TIRE REVIEW: AVON TRAILRIDER: Street-focused ADV tire has trick 3D siping.

Last edited by invader; 08-29-2015 at 01:23 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
...and I noticed a split in the sidewall on the rear. They will get me till the end of the season, but will need to be replaced next year. I put them on new in July 2012.
Be VERY careful of a tire w/ a "split" in the sidewall -

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
My front Distanzia had started cupping too, but I rotated it at about 9,000 km and now have 20,000 km on it....
I used to 'reverse' Kenda K260 tires on my KLR to get decent mileage, just like invader posted.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Well I have a few hundred miles on mine and I am loving them now. Great look, good grip, and pretty quiet, some have said they are loud but I have not noticed any difference from the stock tires. I see some get a lot of miles and some not much. If I get 6000 miles out of the set I will be happy with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode