Hope im doing the right thing! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hope im doing the right thing!

So, first post got deleted by mistake...how annoying !

So...i have been a member here for two or so months and have really really enjoyed the discussions and everything. But recently (Actually before i bought the V ) Me and my partner had decided to travel Europe on "a" bike in the very near future. One thing over the past weeks has become very clear, and that's, that the V is definitely not the type of bike for duel long-distance travel, hence sadly but also excitingly, i will on Friday travel 1200km in total km to Change my bike for a Triumph Trophy 1200 2001 model which is one, if not, the most suitable bike for LD travel, it also looks great and already has all the accessories and everything we need and want ( Except an Alarm) . I will add a pic below if your interested :thumb

Like i said, i really enjoy it here, and really really hope that i can still be apart of this community, even without my V !???

I would also appreciate any tips on a 1200km one-day round trip, it will be my longest, well ever, trip. ( I / We are in our late 20's BTW )

Thanks for listening

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:13 AM

No problem - admittedly, on the V, my butt is aching after 25-30 miles. I can't see making any long distance trips until some serious seat work is done. Even then, it seems like it would be a little questionable with 2 people. Of course I'm 6'5" tall and my wife is 6'1" so the poor little V would be struggling quite a bit under all those legs!

Hope you have a good trip, the Triumph looks like a fine machine.

Corey
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to scaryfast777 Send a message via Skype™ to scaryfast777
Hanebil I can totally understand where you are coming from as well. I think you are making a proper decision for two up riding and LD two up riding at that. The biggest problem with the V and two up riding, like corey mentioned, is the seat. My wife and I are going to invest in the new Corbin saddle with backrest to relieve some of her back pains and such. Combined my wife and I tip the scales at about 260 lbs so the V can definitely handle our weight but she only lasts about 45 min - 1 hour right now on the stock seat before experiencing some substantial discomfort. You can't go wrong with the Triumph. My wife and I are actually considering the Kawasaki Councours as a second bike specifically for LD riding due to the features it has straight from the factory.
Good Luck!

-Scaryfast777

The Secret To Creativity Is knowing How To Hide Your Sources. -Albert Einstein

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:02 AM

One up on the V would work but 2 up long distance could be a stretch. I have been on my V for about an hour and a half (by myself), no problems. I plan to do a 2.5 hour trip next week. Will let everybody know how it is.

Triumph is probably a good choice, looks like a nice bike. The Triumph Tiger pointed me in the direction of the V. I looked at one in a motel parking lot and really like the tall bike look. I steered away from Triumph because I was concerened with getting parts and dealer service in rural Nevada.

Anyway its fine by me if you stay with us in the V communitty
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:15 PM

I did six hours last Saturday on my V and lived to tell about it! Yes, my ass was sore, but either the seat is getting better or the nerves in my butt have died. Please share your thoughts about any replacement seat or enhancement you have done. I am definitely ready for a better seat.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:30 PM

SH,
It's your nerves. The seat doesn't get any better with time!!

Bill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:37 PM

So I'm not the only one considering trading the bike just because of the seat?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 05:39 PM

I think you are about to make a big and expensive mistake. There is nothing that's really wrong with the Versys as a tourer other than the seat. A custom seat on the Versys will be a lot more comfortable than a stock seat on the Triumph. It'll also cost less than trading bikes. It's not that the Trophy isn't a good tourer, but it's big, heavy and handles accordingly.

I've done some really long days on the Versys and one ~2400 mile 5 day trip. With a few small mods it makes a good touring bike too.

Gustavo
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 06:29 PM

The Versys is a great touring bike. Just finished two days of 1200 miles much of it at 80 mph. the bike is stable, and works well with baggage. (Caribou Cases on Givi mounts). There is not much room, but the wife can more back to give us plenty of air between us.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:39 PM

I dunno, I only ride 150-200 miles per hop, but the seat isn't that bad, for me anyway. I mean, yeah I get sore and tired from time to time, but nothing a pit stop or shifting around won't fix.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:52 PM

Trade because of the seat?? No way! Great bike just fix the seat!

Bill

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:15 PM

I wouldn't trade mine for any bike out there but I see what you're saying. I will admit the Trophy will have much more room, wind protection and amenities and I feel that if you are not happy with the Versys, then you shouldn't have to be stuck with it just to fit in a group.

I wish you all the luck and happiness with the new bike. She is a beauty. I know someone with one that they've had for years and they wouldn't trade it either. They say it just fits them best. Good luck on your tour and I hope you and the partner enjoy it thoroughly.

I hope to see you continue to post and give us updates on how the tour is going. I look forward to it. I never discriminate against any bike, only the rider that discriminates against bikes. Two wheels is two wheels in my opinion.

Good luck with the new bike. Enjoy the hell out of it.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:03 AM

MmmBye-Bye

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Hey ! Thanks for all the moral support guys.

But just to clarify, i am not trading the bike because of the seat Actually the stock seat is perfect for my butt.

The reason im trading is because of a +- 1 & 1/2 Month tour that is planned for next year.

The Versys is really a awesome and unique bike, if i was rich, believe me i'd keep it, but i can only afford one bike atm.

Yes the Trophy is a little heavier, but im sort of prepared for that after having my ZX9R which was not top heavy( well a little), but very heavy.

But just to clarify, im not trading the V becuase it has any problems, because it does not, it's perfect and with some investment, can even be better than perfect, but, just not very suitable for what we want to do.

btw, im traveling 1200 +- km just to go trade the bike. The actual tour next year spring will be , i estimate, around 7k and 10k km
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanebil View Post
Hey ! Thanks for all the moral support guys.

But just to clarify, i am not trading the bike because of the seat Actually the stock seat is perfect for my butt.

No one thinks you are. They're talking to JonInMass... about that.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

So...I did the 1000km round trip to go trade-in my V yesterday. I got to the dealership after 5 hours riding, and test rode a few bikes, including the Triumph Trophy 1200 .... Long Story short....I left an hour later...on my Versys.. Every cruiser bike that i test rode, seemed alot more comfortable yes..but one feeling i got from all of them was ...Boring....very heavy on fuel..."Single use"...blah blah blah...

Anyway, so on the way back ( another 5 hour drive ) i got lost and ended up on a alternative route through all the farm areas, and this road was full of awesome twisties and very little traffic and i just remembered why i bought the V to begin with...I had been on the motorway, doing 175km/h easily racing style....Then on back road twisties....Up mountains, down mountains... And the V did all of this without even showing signs that it was stuggling... And did it well !! I had a big smile on my face.

Summary: I fell in love with the V again ( after doing 1000km day trip ) ..My butt hurts and i want a new bigger windscreen but I'll never sell or think about selling my V again.. ( Only to trade it for a newer model one-day ofc )
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 07:44 AM

Excellent!
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 07:56 AM

Best wishes Hanebil......that is one beautiful Triumph.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 10:13 AM

Knew you'd be back.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 10:32 AM

Haha....nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode