Coming back to motorcycling after a long hiatus.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Coming back to motorcycling after a long hiatus..

I bought a Aprillia SR50 factory last year, de-restricted it. It easily reaches speeds of 50 mph. I feel pretty comfortable on it... and really enjoy riding it.

Last time I had a motorcycle was in 1985. I had a Honda V45 Interceptor. I rode the hell out of it for 2 years until I hit a dog on I65 in Indianapolis. I walked away with some missing skin and a dislocated shoulder. Had the bike fixed and promptly sold it ... I haven't rode a bike since getting the scooter last year.

I am ready to get on something bigger. I am 53 years old and in good condition (avid cyclist).

Is going from the Aprillia Factory to the Versys too big of a jump for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:16 PM

Hi Kilofox, I would say no the Versys is very easy to ride, it is as good for A new rider and still fun for the experienced rider. You already have experience riding even if its been25 years, and if you take A riding course that might help ease your mind. whatever your choice is enjoy what you ride.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
kilofox

THe versys is a easy to handle bike and very forgiving too if you dont push the limits.
I am back to bikes after 4 years absence and got the V after by Heart Surgery.
Sure do enjoy riding the V and am seeing life like never before.

and

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 12:28 AM

Shouldn't be a problem. Just take the time to get real familiar with the bike and the controls and don't push things until you "are at one with the machine".
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Take a versys for a test ride if you can and then report back to us
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 04:01 AM

+1 on the positive feedback from Glowcat and +1 to Fastoman for tearing it up after heart surgery

+1 to Kilo for even considering the Versys. You'll have no problem!

and +1 to Kiwi for knowing that after Kilo rides the Versys, he'll see how great it is.

Too many +1s?

"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 06:13 AM

I jumped back on after a 22 year hiatus. I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course to refresh my skills. Besides buying the Versys, THAT was the best decision I made concerning motorcycling.

Since getting back in the saddle 4 years ago, I have put 42,000 miles on a Honda VTX 1300 and 12,000 on a Versys. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

Test ride the versys. See if it fits. I had to lower mine but other than that it handles like a dream.

I am 51 years old - and I love motorcycling.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 06:25 AM

I bought a V as my first bike at 53. It is a great starter bike that will do just about anything. If you look at the people on the forum there are plenty that are starting with a V, as well as many that have owned many bikes over the years. It isn't sexy, but it is a great bike. It is a fairly tall bike and gives you lots of visibility when riding in traffic. I use mine for commuting, touring and riding the twisties. It does have a few small warts, but they are easy to fix and it is really easy to work on.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 06:42 AM

I agree with the rest, you'll be fine. The V handles so nicely it is such a joy to ride.

The power delivery is soft, but enough that it can be a really fun ride too.

Enjoy, but I'll warn you, the V is addicting. I ride mine everywhere and has really started to rack up the miles. I just did two back to back 450 mile days this week with camping gear and had no problems or complaints. Heck I even rode it to work the next day.

Off this morning for a 200 mile ride going... well lets see, uh yeah, nowhere...

Mike
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 07:11 AM

My first (bought it last October).
Nearly 4k on the clock now.
Truth be told...I didn't even test ride it. I couldn't, I wasn't licensed yet. I sat on it after sitting on zillions of other machines. It was the first to feel....right.
But I trusted the kind words and thoughtful reviews I found here at the forum. Being 'Motorcyclist magazines" Bike of the year didn't hurt either.
But it was everyone here at the forum...that sealed the deal for me...and you won't find a better group of motorcycling junkies anywhere.
So call me lucky, call me a fool, but it is what it is.
Performance, Looks, comfort, handling, Price.....Nothing out there even comes close, not on this continent.
And I'm even doing my own maintenance...I fixed the Versys BUZZ, corrected the the factory setting for the headlight aiming, I do my own oil changes all by my self. (Major for me...LOL).
Took a 427 mile run down to Columbus and back ...8 hours in the saddle and my butt felt GREAT!
And yesterday a guy on a Suzuki 'litre' bike (GSX-R1000) pulled up next to me at a light and said....."nice bike dude".

It's been a wonderful experience.
Gotta love it!

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 08:23 AM

If you haven't, go take the MSF. It is worth the time.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 08:57 AM

The Versys is a great bike, but then we'ed (nearly) all say that here.

is it the 'right' bike for you, I don't tknow, but then you've not really said what you want out of a bike.

is it too powerfull.... I doubt it. it may be too heavy and powerfull if you are a spotty little kid who wants to show off to his mates, but that doesn't cover you. its a fantastic all rounder, very capable in most areas... weakest off road unless you have the correct tyres... it is mainly a tarmac/pavement bike as sold.

I think you need to be clear in your mind why you want to ride, and ride a bike rather than a scooter... thats far from a criticism... its more establishing what you are looking for. there is no doubt a lot of people riding Versys are older, many are returnee's to the world of biking (me included). asw others have said go sit on one, go test ride one (of you can), compare it to the competition eg V-Strom, or if you want the power the Tiger 1050

although Im not in the US Id agree get some trainign (MSF if thats whats near you) to refresh your road skills.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 12:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
I am ready to get on something bigger. I am 53 years old and in good condition (avid cyclist).

Is going from the Aprillia Factory to the Versys too big of a jump for me?
I am also in my mid-50's and a keen cyclist, and the V is my first real motorcycle and the first bike with an engine in nearly 30 years.

It is not 'too big' if you don't wrap your right wrist too fast

It is the perfect size / balance / riding position for me.

+1 for the MSF or equivalent

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 03:47 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
I did a lot of reading before I bought, intending to ride with my husband who has a Kawi ZX-10R. I had no desire for a bullet bike, but at six foot one a scooter is ridiculous for me (lucky for me, I am not restricted to the so-called girlie bike). After a couple of weeks, I am shocked at how comfortable I am on my V. It does have plenty of power and pulls up hills all day long. Depending on your height, lowering it could indeed make it more comfortable. It's a forgiving bike in terms of handling, not cornering on rails like my husband's Z but an entirely different bike. We just came home from riding for an hour and his hiney was KILLING him (as was his back), while I could have got right back on and kept riding. You can enjoy the scenery, see better over traffic (and be seen), load it up if you wish and just go.

Good luck in your decision!

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 09:02 PM

Welcome back to Biking!

Test ride the V and feel what she tells you. She could be your life partner on 2 wheels.
Been riding for 22 year and the V is Great!

Cheers.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone for your comments. Pulled the trigger on a blue 09 today. Pick her up tomorrow!!

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Good choice on the color

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 04:11 PM

Congrats and welcome!

My Album:
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
It's official then. Welcome to V-World!

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 07:16 PM

sweet, be careful and enjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode