Parallel Twin - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Parallel Twin

I've only been riding since last fall and the 2009 Versys is the second bike I've owned. When I asked the service tech if he could do something about the mirrors-how the image in the mirror goes from crystal clear to I can barely tell you what color the car is behind me he smiled and replied, "Parallel Twin." Is this true? Also it seems to happen more in one mirror the left than the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 07:19 PM

From what understand it is the nature of a parallel twin. This is my first bike, but there are many on here that have had many bikes that state that the Versys doesn't vibrate as much as many other P twins.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 08:11 PM

All bikes are a compromise, in our case we pay a small price-vibes at around 5000 rpm- for the great engine charachteristics. Just ride faster!

Cheers

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDOT55 View Post
I've only been riding since last fall and the 2009 Versys is the second bike I've owned. When I asked the service tech if he could do something about the mirrors-how the image in the mirror goes from crystal clear to I can barely tell you what color the car is behind me he smiled and replied, "Parallel Twin." Is this true? Also it seems to happen more in one mirror the left than the other.
I've got aluminum Pro Taper bars and Emgo mirrors on my V. The view is outstanding.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:26 PM

+1 on the emgo mirrors
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:26 PM

I put Z1000 mirrors on (the same as the 2010 V) and they are a huge improvement.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Rik

My 08 is bone stock with almost 6000 miles and My mirrors stay clear throughout the RPM range at least compared to my old 83 shovelhead....talk about funhouse morrors.
I am not sure I've noticed any distortion to the point where I could not decipher objects. I'll look closer and see. I also do not notice excessive vibration like a lot of the guys talk about but then again that might be from coming off the shovel as well.
Rik
08 Versys
unfarkled
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Steve,

Where did you buy the Z1000 mirrors and does all of the hardware come with them or do you just use what is already on the bike? Funny thing is my left mirror is much worse than my right. I tried to tighten but it doesn't seemed to have helped much. Thanks in advance. Bob.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...semblies/81523

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:42 PM

Those are good prices, but I ordered the 2010 Z1000 mirrors not 2008! The 2008 mirrors look like they have a similar mechanism to the 2008 V mirrors. The 2010 Z1000 mirrors are the same part number as the 2010 Versys mirrors. 56001 and 56001/A. See is CheapCycleParts can get these part numbers. I ordered mine from a local dealer.

Yes they come with the everything you need to connect them in place of the stock V mirrors.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:46 PM

Not sure about it being related to Parallel twins. My v-twin Harley Sportster did the same thing.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:51 PM

Garage
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...semblies/81588

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:54 PM

Garage
same mirrors

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 06:20 PM

But they don't show on the order form below the diagram. Not sure what that's all about. They are a different part number than the 2008 mirrors and if you look at the mounting point it looks like the base on the 2007-9 V mirrors. The mirror is the same shape though.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Parallel Twin." Vibrations.

This article appeared in the November 1991; edition of Easyriders magazine under, "Tech Tips."

The Solution to Engine Vibration
By Bob Pickett

The benefits of having your flywheel assembly dynamically balanced are:

1) smoother operation (less vibration)
2) longer bearing life
3) more usable horsepower
4) higher rpm (usually more important in racing applications)

Although vibration can come from tires, wheels, brake discs etc., the majority of vibration in a V-twin comes from the engine. This occurs in two areas:

Torque Vibration and Vibration from the rotating mass unbalance.

Torque vibration is caused by the engine firing on the power stroke.

The amount of vibration varies with the engine load; the greater the load, the more severe the power impulse, the greater the vibration. As the cylinder fires, the piston is forced down and at the same time the cylinder head is forced up. (Newton's law: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.) Since the cylinder is fastened to the crankcase, and the crankcase is fastened to the motorcycle frame, the result is vibration. For example:6,000 rpm is 100 power cycles per second = torque vibration.

The second source of vibration is the rotating mass of the flywheels.

The rotating mass is the total weight of the rods, pistons, rings, and complete flywheel assembly.
A rotating unit that is in perfect balance rotates concentrically around the center line of the axis of rotation. A rotating unit that is not in perfect balance tends to rotate in an elliptical (egg shaped) manner, around the center line of the axis axis rotation, with the elongated portion of the ellipse at the point of unbalance.The more unbalanced, the more exaggerated the ellipse. Of course, the elliptical movement caused by the unbalance is restrained by the ball bearings. It follows that the greater the elliptical motion of the flywheels, the greater the wear on the ball bearings. For example, as the speed of the engine doubles, the amount of force, per revolution, created unbalance tends to increase by an approximate factor of four.

Example: 1 ounce inch of unbalance at 2,000 rpm creates approximately 7 pounds of force per rpm. One ounce inch of unbalance at 4,000 rpm creates approximately 23 pounds of force per rpm.
One ounce inch of unbalance at 8,000 rpm creates approximately 120 pounds of force per rpm. Unbalance is typically expressed in ounce inches (oz. in.). This means 1 ounce (28.35 grams) of unbalance at 1-inch radius.If it takes "X" amount of horsepower to generate "X" amount of rpm for an engine with unbalance; it follows that it will take less horsepower to generate the same amount of rpm with a balanced engine, because your are not losing horsepower overcoming the effects of the unbalance. Reasons three and four for having the flywheel custom balanced-more horsepower and higher rpm.

So what does this really mean? Typically, the closer your flywheel assembly is to perfect balance, the less vibration you have. By balancing correctly and accurately, the vibration production from vibrating rotating mass can, in most cases, be greatly reduced.

I really don't know what the balancing tolerance (to what accuracy) the stock Harley-Davidson flywheel assembly is balanced at the factory. Rumor has it that they balance by an average weight of components, then they apply that formula to all engines. Some shops try to balance to .5 ounces inches. However our shop balances Harley flywheel assemblies to less than .5 ounces inches. To put it another way ".5" ounce inches of balancing tolerance is 3.336 grams placed on the outside diameter of the flywheels note: a $1 bill = 1 gram.

It is especially important to have the flywheel assembly custom balanced if you have cut down or lightened the flywheels, crankpin, changed pistons, put in different rods, or stroked or destroked the crank. For example: Let's say that the engine is in good balance but you want to go with a bigger piston.The new pistons, rings, etc. weigh 100 grams more, each, than the pistons you took out This would mean that the would be out of balance by 62 grams (8.2 oz. in) at the outside diameter of the flywheel assembly.

Why custom balance your modified Harley Davidson flywheel assembly? The obvious advantage is that the flywheels are balanced for the exact components you are using in your engine. You'll also have the smoothest running scoot on the block.
Hope its of some help in understanding the root cause of Vibrations in Engines.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 08:01 AM

Twins are more vibey than other engine configs.
But given that, the bar mounted mirrors on the Versys just plain suck.

If they were fairing mounted they would vibrate less than they do stock.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 08:22 AM

I am wondering why the handlebars/mounts do not have more rubber insulation in them.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseman View Post
I am wondering why the handlebars/mounts do not have more rubber insulation in them.
1. maybe Kawi has tried and found that rubber insulation is not effective, or
2. save every penny so that our Versys involve less parts and assemble cost........

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudarra View Post
Twins are more vibey than other engine configs.
The V is a smooth as silk compared to my last bike (Suzuki C50) and my wifes Vstar which both are V-Twins.

I hadnt ridden a V-twin for a few weeks since buying my Versys and then I took out my wifes Vstar Sunday and wow! Shook me like crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode