Picked up new versys today - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Picked up new versys today

I am now an owner of a brand new 2010 yellowish versys.
what i have noticed is the rear number light is not ridge and can be moved up and down is this normal.

And I dont like the black tank as much as the all painted 2009 version.
what i also find is the seat is harder than expected and yes it does slide you to the tank but its new and needs wearing in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
congrats on the new toy, post a picture and i sure the seat will break in
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 06:23 PM

Congrats on the new Versys, and yes the tail light assembly is rubber bushing so it will move some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
I am now an owner of a brand new 2010 yellowish versys.
Congrats..Enjoy the ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
what i have noticed is the rear number light is not ridge and can be moved up and down is this normal.
Mine is pretty loose as well. I actually tried to tighten it up but it is designed to wiggle. Maybe in case it gets bumped, it will be less likely to break.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Yeap! It's lose and moves up and down but not by itself. Only if you put your fingers there otherwise it is good with the flexable mounting and save from breaking during small knocks.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 01:22 AM

The license plate light housing on my 2010 V was sloppy loose when I got it (it could flop up & down). The dealer started to tell me that it was normal... then I showed him how all the Ninjas in his showroom (which had the same lamp assembly) werent loose. He then said Id have to leave it so they could take it apart when they got a chance to look at it. (Yeah, right! I just picked it up last night and now its a beautiful day to ride!).

That night I took it apart myself and found that while the screws that held the housing on were tight, they were bottomed out against the ferrules that they thread into. I dont know if the ferrules were molded/cut too long or what but the solution was to put a washer on each of the screws that had an inside diameter which was just larger than the outside diameter of the ferrule and then tighten the screws just enough to make contact with the rubber bushings & take out the excess play. You do not want to over tighten them. The housing is supposed to have some flex on the rubber bushings to isolate the bulb/filament from the bikes vibration.

FWIW, While it would have been possible to do this with a screw-holding screwdriver, tweezers, a steady hand and a lot of patience... the easier way (and it is easy) is to just take the license plate/fender support bracket off & get it out of your way.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
The license plate light housing on my 2010 V was sloppy loose when I got it (it could flop up & down).
Mine is sloppy loose as well. If I understand your fix, your saying the screws bottom out. They either used too long of screw or not a deep enough hole correct? Your using a washer as a spacer to snug up on the inside to make up the difference?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
The license plate light housing on my 2010 V was sloppy loose when I got it (it could flop up & down). The dealer started to tell me that it was normal... then I showed him how all the Ninjas in his showroom (which had the same lamp assembly) werent loose. He then said Id have to leave it so they could take it apart when they got a chance to look at it. (Yeah, right! I just picked it up last night and now its a beautiful day to ride!).

That night I took it apart myself and found that while the screws that held the housing on were tight, they were bottomed out against the ferrules that they thread into. I dont know if the ferrules were molded/cut too long or what but the solution was to put a washer on each of the screws that had an inside diameter which was just larger than the outside diameter of the ferrule and then tighten the screws just enough to make contact with the rubber bushings & take out the excess play. You do not want to over tighten them. The housing is supposed to have some flex on the rubber bushings to isolate the bulb/filament from the bikes vibration.

FWIW, While it would have been possible to do this with a screw-holding screwdriver, tweezers, a steady hand and a lot of patience... the easier way (and it is easy) is to just take the license plate/fender support bracket off & get it out of your way.
Pictures would be nice.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseman View Post
Pictures would be nice.
I may dive into mine today since it is sloppy loose. I'll take the camera with me
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 08:52 AM

I tried to fix mine, but I don't have the right size washer. What are the odds?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 10:50 AM

I fixed mine today and took pictures.

Click here for "How to" snug it up.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 04:09 PM

I have never had a problem with sliding on the seat whatsoever. The 2010 seat is great and is a perfect firmness for all day rides. it is comfortable riding up near the tank in the corners and back in the saddle for cruising!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I fixed mine today and took pictures.

Click here for "How to" snug it up.

Capn Kirk - Great photos and description. Just got done with my fix and it only took about 10 minutes (most of the time hunting for the screw heads from behind). Mine is solid now.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseman View Post
Capn Kirk - Great photos and description. Just got done with my fix and it only took about 10 minutes (most of the time hunting for the screw heads from behind). Mine is solid now.
Glad it didnt take you long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode