To Wheelie or not to Wheelie - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
To Wheelie or not to Wheelie

Wheelies can be fun, but make sure you do them safely and in a place where they're legal. First and foremost, you do wheelies by the feel and sound of the engine, not by what the tachometer says. Everyone has different power and sprocket setups, plus you don't need to be looking at your tachometer. Pay attention to the road and be prepared to get some bruises . . .

I let a friend test ride my newly bought 2008 Versys and he came back with a busted windscreen and these brutal scratches on the side cases . . . Story short, he popped a wheelie in first and clutched to second and went straight up onto the side cases, rear wheel leaving the ground and when he found the rear brake, it slammed down and he hit a mailbox windscreen high . . . lesson learned: No matter how good a friend they are, they can still tear your stuff up . . . no more free rides
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150727_094633_1438005219737.jpg (23.2 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 20150727_094657_1438005292527.jpg (26.1 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg 20150727_094648_1438005337842.jpg (23.9 KB, 153 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Broken Givi windscreen . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150727_100440_1438005917815.jpg (24.7 KB, 111 views)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:14 AM

Early on I goosed the throttle on an uphill stop sign in first and popped a little, but I'm saying maybe 5 inches. Never before, never since, never again, lol.

I'd be busting my friend's ass...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
What a tard... And unless you saw it yourself I'm calling BS. I'm guessing he looped it in first.... You don't clutch to shift when wheeling.... And ya I'd be kicking his ass for that one

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 11:36 AM

Who does that?!

I'd be like: "That's crazy, really glad you're ok.. now lets go to the bank so you can grab me some cash for the side cases, windscreen, and fork seals..."

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 11:40 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantAntCowboy View Post
Who does that?!

I'd be like: "That's crazy, really glad you're ok.. now lets go to the bank so you can grab me some cash for the side cases, windscreen, and fork seals..."
And I'm guessing front plastics foot peg(drag peg on bottom I bet is snapped off) bar ends (I'd not bars all together) mirror and full inspection

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If I can't afford to buy it, I can't afford to borrow it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
He scratched it he buys it!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
If a "Friend" doesn't respect your stuff. Then he doesn't respect you. I don't need "Friends" like that in my life...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 12:37 AM

Man, your bike was Sweet!

That dumbass, you'll be finding out the extent of the real damage for years to come.

Kick his ass!! He evidently doesn't have a pot to pee in.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 07:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
If a "Friend" doesn't respect your stuff. Then he doesn't respect you. I don't need "Friends" like that in my life...
Exactly what I was thinking Joe.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I know it's an "aside", but, despite the fact that I could wheelie out-of-sight when I raced dirt, I have NEVER intentionally wheelied a street bike!

The thought of something 'north' of 500 pounds getting away from me....

On the other hand - when I had my drag-bike I can remember going thru the "eyes" (the end of the quarter) w/ my front wheel coming up - probably 5" or so - as it got traction. That was in the days BEFORE 'burn-outs', so the tire would spin MOST of the run.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode