Anyone ATGATT and a daily commuter? Let's chat. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone ATGATT and a daily commuter? Let's chat.

I have a 20 mile commute to a white collar job that involves 16 miles of interstate and 4 miles of city driving. I haven't been able to figure out how to make my gear plus my attitude fit my needs, I want to be ATGATT and I need to be professional. I'm a field technician for a financial institution, so my work day is every place from vaults to server rooms to sales desks, as long as I look somewhat professional it's cool.

I have a Joe Rocket mesh riding jacket in neon green that is ugly as hell but that I love because it ensures that people see me. I wear Oakley combat boots on the days I'm able to ride, usually stuffing some sneakers under the net and straps on the back seat. I don't have any boxes.

I have cold weather and warm weather gloves, so that's set.

I have a nice helmet and nice glasses, so I'm fine there, plus a Turtlefur neck warmer for the seriously cold days. It's amazing.

My real issue is pants. I can't sort this one out. I'm not really supposed to wear jeans, but it's no real problem if I do. That said---I'm not spending $240 on a pair of kevlar jeans. I recognize that my Wranglers aren't going to do much for me in an accident. I've looked at overpants but I don't want to cook my yarbles in the hot days. I also don't wear leather clothing. Long story, don't ask, no I'm not a vegan---my boots are leather.

So anyway---I don't mind I guess changing @ work, but that seems dumb. Is there a set of protective overpants that won't cook me, that I can just take off in the office? Am I overlooking something obvious? Any insight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I have a set of Tourmaster Venture mesh pants that will fit OVER other pants, but still pass lots of air, and they have a zip-in liner for cooler days. Also a LONG zipper down the outsides of the legs.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
One word chaps

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 02:13 AM
djg

Aerostich, Motoport, Olympia, First Gear, Fox Creek Leather, BMW. Even Duluth Trading fire hose pants. Look them up. Spend some money. There's gobs of gear available. I have items from all of these save BMW. It's your skin. Webbikeworld has lots of reviews.

Last edited by djg; 07-27-2015 at 02:15 AM.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 05:17 AM

Overpants for work

20 mile commute all year round. Olympia mesh pants over khakis in the summer and a water resistant pair over wool pants in the fall and winter. Some overpants have full length zips so you can take them off without messing with your shoes.

TCX and Rev'it make riding sneakers. I have a pair of rev-it low boots that mostly pass if I'm too lazy to change at work. A sharpie helped dampen down the white logo on them.

Last edited by clay_shooter; 07-28-2015 at 06:20 AM.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 07:13 AM

I commuted to a teaching job on a motorcycle. The Aerostitch Roadcrafter was my answer.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 07:39 AM

Garage
Aerostich does a pair of Khaki's (or khaki looking anyway) with knee armor

http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/cl...kt-khakis.html

I have the jean version and they are look like a regular pair of jeans. Definitely not as much protection as full riding pants, but a step in the right direction.
Most of the time I wear a pair of AD1's over my regular pants and do fine for most of the summer.

Otherwise there are a lot of guys who use a one piece Roadcrafter suit. Once you get the hang of it, you are in or out in about 30 seconds. The "lite" version is supposed to be cooler.

Mitch

Last edited by Slow-Steady; 07-27-2015 at 07:58 AM.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 07:54 AM

Wearing Draggin' Jeans K-Legs under all my jeans /Cargo's /work pants (when riding) with a set of Knox knee protectors. Supremely comfortable, I just slip them off when i get to work. I have worn them all day when its a bit chilly.
Having gone though 4 sets of Kevlar jeans I wont ever buy another now i have a set. You can wear just about anything over them.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Mesh pants with full side zips and a light color like silver will do what you need. The full side zils allow them to be removed without removing boots. If you can find some in the same brand as your jacket, they can be zipped together for extra protection. Wear over dress pants and you won't be any hotter than wearing kevlar jeans.
On real hot days I will shed my pants an wear the riding pants over my shorts, but I have bags to carry the pants home.
As a commuter, you should at least have a tail bag on the bike to carry rain gear, street shoes, etc.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 08:50 AM

daily commute - the pants are the one area I tend to skimp on -

but it basically boils down to over pants or under pants.

that is you can wear protective gear over top whatever you wear or you can get the padded shorts and draggin liners and wear them under your clothes.

one of the options I go with occasionally is the pads that look like shin guards with built in knee pads, they just Velcro overtop of any pants. like these:

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Mesh pants with full side zips and a light color like silver will do what you need. The full side zils allow them to be removed without removing boots. If you can find some in the same brand as your jacket, they can be zipped together for extra protection. Wear over dress pants and you won't be any hotter than wearing kevlar jeans.
On real hot days I will shed my pants an wear the riding pants over my shorts, but I have bags to carry the pants home.
As a commuter, you should at least have a tail bag on the bike to carry rain gear, street shoes, etc.
this post is full of good advice
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all, I will spend some time this AM looking at all these options. I don't mind spending some cash.

Also there are a few reasons I don't have a tailbag---one is that I'm super short, I actually have to stand on the side peg to easily get my leg over the bike to mount it, getting off is more comical with something on the tail, although I do keep two rok straps and a net back there. I do have to carry server components and PC's back there sometimes, heh.

I really want big metal side boxes...but I haven't quite hit the place where I can spend an extra thousand bucks on that project right now, lol.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
I have a 20 mile commute to a white collar job that involves 16 miles of interstate and 4 miles of city driving. I haven't been able to figure out how to make my gear plus my attitude fit my needs, I want to be ATGATT and I need to be professional. I'm a field technician for a financial institution, so my work day is every place from vaults to server rooms to sales desks, as long as I look somewhat professional it's cool.

I have a Joe Rocket mesh riding jacket in neon green that is ugly as hell but that I love because it ensures that people see me. I wear Oakley combat boots on the days I'm able to ride, usually stuffing some sneakers under the net and straps on the back seat. I don't have any boxes.

I have cold weather and warm weather gloves, so that's set.

I have a nice helmet and nice glasses, so I'm fine there, plus a Turtlefur neck warmer for the seriously cold days. It's amazing.

My real issue is pants. I can't sort this one out. I'm not really supposed to wear jeans, but it's no real problem if I do. That said---I'm not spending $240 on a pair of kevlar jeans. I recognize that my Wranglers aren't going to do much for me in an accident. I've looked at overpants but I don't want to cook my yarbles in the hot days. I also don't wear leather clothing. Long story, don't ask, no I'm not a vegan---my boots are leather.

So anyway---I don't mind I guess changing @ work, but that seems dumb. Is there a set of protective overpants that won't cook me, that I can just take off in the office? Am I overlooking something obvious? Any insight?
The short answer is, riding jacket, overpants with khakis and button down or polo shirt underneath and leather waterproof hiking boots that substitute for my dress work shoes,

I'm in much the same situation. I have a 25 minute commute, I have to wear casual-professional (button down shirt or polo and khakis and comfortable dress shoes). I have modified the acceptable dress a little by substituting leather hiking boots and heavier cotton cargo pants and my employer hasn't grumbled about it. The heavier pants and boots make for better riding cloths and mean I don't have to do any changes when I get to work. On hot days I usually wear an armored riding jacket, cargo pants and hiking boots (of course helmet and riding gloves). When it's a little cooler I add a pair of Tourmaster overpants with armor and full length zippers. I've been commuting pretty regular like this for four years. The Tourmaster overpants and my Tourmaster jacket have proven to be water resistant in the rain but not water proof so I've tried to avoid riding to work in the rain but I've gotten caught several times riding home. If it's a hard lasting rain I get home soaking wet. I now plan to ride, rain or shine, so I ordered a new rainsuit witch should be arriving today.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I now plan to ride, rain or shine, so I ordered a new rainsuit witch should be arriving today.
Yes! This summer has been awful, I've had three days without rain in the last 35. Finally decided that I'm comfortable enough on the bike (and buying gas for my 16 year old volvo is killing me) that I'm gonna ride absolutely as much as possible.
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:26 AM

I wear a motorport two piece kevlar mesh over my clothes and keep shoes at the office.
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 11:08 AM

Knee pads: and you can change your oil on concrete by diving on your knees simultaneously to the ground (like a wrestler pinning an opponent to the mat in extreme pain.)
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Knee pads: and you can change your oil on concrete by diving on your knees simultaneously to the ground (like a wrestler pinning an opponent to the mat in extreme pain.)
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean? By change my oil you mean spill my blood?
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Yes! This summer has been awful, I've had three days without rain in the last 35. Finally decided that I'm comfortable enough on the bike (and buying gas for my 16 year old volvo is killing me) that I'm gonna ride absolutely as much as possible.
You're right. You don't live far from me, it's been a summer of weird flash rain storms and the weather people have been mostly useless.
Last week I decided I needed a dedicated rain suit. I have been just using my riding gear but I got caught going to work last week (weather.com said it was going to be sunny with 15% chance of rain). I got half way to work and the sky darkened and then opened up in a downpour, blowing sideways. The crotch of my riding suit apparently leaks. When my "valuables" got wet I decided to turn around and go back home. I was 45 minutes late for work and decided then and there it was time for a full out waterproof rainsuit.
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean? By change my oil you mean spill my blood?
I think he means knee pads help when changing oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode