Anyone take their ednorsement test on their Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone take their ednorsement test on their Versys?

Was it hard? I'm about to take mine next week and I'm starting to get nervous.... Is the Versys a good bike to take the test on? I feel pretty good on it - been riding one every day for over a month now - but still?

---

UPDATE: Just got back from testing - passed with 100/100 points.
Thanks, Versys!!

Last edited by Martin Lindhe; 06-05-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
for those of us that don't know could you explain what the test is for and what you have to do in the test please
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 11:00 PM

The V is my first bike, so I took mine on it. With the exception of something like a DRZ-400SM or some other 250 size SM bike, I can't think of a much better bike to do the test on. MC endorsement tests are all about your ability to safely maneuver the bike, and the V's short wheelbase and relative lightweight allow it to excel at such things.

Simply riding around won't do you any good as regards passing the practical test. If you haven't already, get a copy of the practical test maneuvers from your DOT and practice them in a parking lot. That worked great for myself.

All that being said, I "failed" my first test because I wasn't paying attention to the examiner and turned around at the wrong point (automatic fail: failure to follow instructions). The next time was a "breeze." Thus, PAY ATTENTION to the instructors instructions...

Practice, practice; the best that can happen is you walk away with your MC endorsement, the worst that can happen is you have to come back again -- like me.

Hope that helps.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
for those of us that don't know could you explain what the test is for and what you have to do in the test please
It probably varies a bit between states and countries, but, generally, the practical exam tests your ability to maneuver the bike in "tight" areas, i.e., u-turns and cones without using your feet for balance, throttle control, and emergency stopping.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 11:40 PM

Garage
I didnt take my test on mine, I did the MSF for my license. However there is a MSF class by my house and I often go there to practice some slow speed maneuvers on there course. I am amazed how easy the bike handles in the tight slow stuff. I was able to do 10 figure 8's in a row well within the box before putting a foot down. With my old Ninja I could barely do 1.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Aha - cool - I gotta try to find a lot somewhere that's accessible so I can do some practicing. Also found this video showing people doing their tests in Washington state.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x56...le-driver_auto

Now I'm even more nervous.... yikes!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednukey View Post
It probably varies a bit between states and countries, but, generally, the practical exam tests your ability to maneuver the bike in "tight" areas, i.e., u-turns and cones without using your feet for balance, throttle control, and emergency stopping.
In NZ before you get a learner license you need to do a skills test, ride around cones, ride really slow down a line and emergency stop, then you get a learner then after time a restricted but not allowed bigger than 250cc and then your full.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 05:33 AM

Like HAWKSHOT99 I too the MSF course and did mine that way. Most states will accept a successful MSF course for the riding exam.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 07:40 AM

I let my daughters boyfriend use my versys for his test and he passed no problem.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 08:08 AM

Here in Spain I had to do the new exams which have been introduced.
It is in two parts - slow, and fast.

The slow part you can see in the clip has no time limit, but you must not tocuh cones, or put your foot down.

The fast part has to be done in 25 seconds without touching any cones, putting a foot down, or driving outside of the lines.

Doesnīt look too bad in the clip but is quite nerve racking.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lindhe View Post
... I gotta try to find a lot somewhere that's accessible so I can do some practicing...
Now I'm even more nervous.... yikes!
I donít know how the test is by you but seeing as how youíve been riding it for a month and you already feel good on it, Iíd guess that if you need more practice with anything (to pass the test) itís probably the very low speed tight maneuvering.

Just go find an empty parking lot after the stores close and do ever decreasing radius circles and figure eights. The V will let you turn so tight your head will hit your butt!

One note; when youíre doing very slow & tight maneuvering (like weaving thru the pumps & cars in a gas station) it can be difficult to work the throttle `finelyí enough (it is a spirited beast) but if you keep your fingers on the clutch & feather it (slip it in & out a bit as needed) I think youíll find it will give you much better control.

Donít be nervous! Youíll do fine...

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:08 AM

You will have no issues taking the test on the Versys. Infact, It probably one of the best bike to do it on.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lindhe View Post
Was it hard? I'm about to take mine next week and I'm starting to get nervous.... Is the Versys a good bike to take the test on? I feel pretty good on it - been riding one every day for over a month now - but still?
UPDATE: Just got back from testing - passed with 100/100 points.
Thanks, Versys!!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 01:57 PM

Way to go Stallion Master. Now it's time to put it in the wind!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 03:08 PM

Good to hear you got it!!
For anyone else starting out, I did figure 8's in the parking lot till I could do them nice and tight. I also went in a field with a hill and would stop on the hill and get going without stalling or rolling back. The hills were very helpful. I did own a KLR650 at the time but I suspect the Versys would be great too for the test.

Blue 2008, mirror extenders, Givi windshield, side sliders (came with bike), seat mod, 16T front sprocket, Ram GPS mount.
I work weird hours, if I don't reply, I will eventually, depending on the schedule. Also Ham operator VE5PS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode