what catagory is the Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
what catagory is the Versys?

Some bikes are easy to categorize. You got your cafe' bikes, sport bikes, cruisers, touring and even standards. What in the heck is the Versys? I have been describing it as an "upright sport bike".

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Motorcycle.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
The 1st gen was listed in the dual sport category.
The 2nd gen was listed in the sport category.
I believe the 3rd gen is listed as adventure.

I tell people that I have mine set up as a backroads touring bike, or a street adventure bike.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
The 1st gen was listed in the dual sport category.
The 2nd gen was listed in the sport category.
I believe the 3rd gen is listed as adventure.

I tell people that I have mine set up as a backroads touring bike, or a street adventure bike.
Really? I own a 2nd Gen 2011 and while it is sporty, it is in no way a sport bike: Upright riding position and it's long(ish) travel suspension KILL that description IMHO

And the 3rd Gen looks more like a sport bike than the other two combined. It's closer to an Adventure Touring

In MY mind the 1st and 2nd Gen bikes are, just as the name was formed: Versatile System. A rider can make it whatever kind of bike they can think of. A Supermoto, Canyon carver, touring, ADV, or just a great allaround ride. The jury is still out on the 2015's, they haven't been out long enough.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
Some bikes are easy to categorize. You got your cafe' bikes, sport bikes, cruisers, touring and even standards. What in the heck is the Versys? I have been describing it as an "upright sport bike".
Sport tourer on stilts.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 09:46 PM

Garage
Modern UJM.

Always trust your cape.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Really? I own a 2nd Gen 2011 and while it is sporty, it is in no way a sport bike: Upright riding position and it's long(ish) travel suspension KILL that description IMHO

And the 3rd Gen looks more like a sport bike than the other two combined. It's closer to an Adventure Touring

In MY mind the 1st and 2nd Gen bikes are, just as the name was formed: Versatile System. A rider can make it whatever kind of bike they can think of. A Supermoto, Canyon carver, touring, ADV, or just a great allaround ride. The jury is still out on the 2015's, they haven't been out long enough.
Just telling you how they were portrayed on Kawasaki's website.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 10:17 PM

Supermoto Tourer UJM.

Supermoto: 17" wheels (esp. front), USD forks, single rear shock, explosive midrange power. The ONLY thing that may not be is 100 lbs lighter like BMW Xmoto F650 which had a 250 lb weight capacity (passenger, cargo, and options) and significantly less power. I am SOOOO happy to have a Supermoto handling package! And it is about 50 lbs lighter, but it is not 150 lbs lighter. With Kawasaki (deluxe midrange) power (package) though, it doesn't require super light weights to haul a$$!

Tourer: because it will go and keep going comfortably. I've just got a gel pad and a Coleman's atv cover (so the gel pad does not boil in the Sun) and it's very comfortable at any distance (no sore buns yet). ALSO, as a UJM, it's upright sitting which is not only more comfortable, but it also is a road-safer vehicle from sitting up EXTRA high! I have owned 4 BMW's, and I think this one is the best single rider tourer I've owned yet - it's more fun!

UJM: because it's what everyone wants, versatility to become anything by just how you ride it. But most bikes these days have you laying on your back or stomach which is not ergonomic, comfortable, and definitely unsafe vision on a motorcycle - LOOKOUT! And coming from the Ninja 650, it affords a price point comparable with the Honda 750 for the options you are receiving: the ultimate UJM.

Today, my Pearl Gold Metal flakes were sparkling brightly directly under the Sun. The Vs. 650 is definitely the best of the best

Last edited by kawdog; 07-26-2015 at 10:34 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 10:25 PM

Garage
The newly defined "Excellent SOB bike that is incredibly fun to ride" category, or as Motorcycle Magazine will call it ESBTIIFTR
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 10:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
Modern UJM.
My thought exactly..

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
"The Versys has an irrational appeal to anyone who's tired of coloring inside the same line"
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Checked with the dog...he says trying to categorize this bike is like naming the cat, will it come when called??
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
"The Versys has an irrational appeal to anyone who's tired of coloring inside the same line"
Hey Fastoman, got a pic of your Temp Gage? You were one of the first to discuss this on this site. I was just wondering what you finally decided.

Thanks!!
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Checked with the dog...he says trying to categorize this bike is like naming the cat, will it come when called??
...some cats do...
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
...some cats do...
One of mine does.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 10:55 PM

I categorize mine as a commuter.
The Versys is one of those bikes that shouldn't come from the factory with a category. It should be categorized by the owner.
As long as it doesn't come as a Sport, just to keep the insurance low. I dropped Progressive because they said it was a "sport" bike and doubled my insurance. I went with Rider insurance and they call it a dual sport at half the cost, so I'm good with that.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
One of mine does.
A fat cat called to dinner?

I knew one with 6 toes (his name too coincidently) at Blue Moon BMW in Norcross, GA that was pretty mellow too. He must have smoked pot from one of the help there though (the staff turned over a lot then, but it was number one BMW mc dealer in nation one of those years too.)
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Motorcycle.
For me - it's a MOTORCYCLE, as in the '60s Triumphs, BSAs, Enfields. A MODERN standard, that can do about ANYTHING IF you're willing to try, and you don't need to look like a person in gyno. stirrups, OR someone 'humping a watermelon'....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
...The jury is still out on the 2015's, they haven't been out long enough.
Jeff - check what I JUST wrote above...! For me the '15 is the SAME, just looks a bit different.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Hey Fastoman, got a pic of your Temp Gage? You were one of the first to discuss this on this site. I was just wondering what you finally decided.

Thanks!!
which one...the cat. the dog , the temp gauge or the versys

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 04:29 AM

There's really only three types of bikes: cruisers (low ground clearance, long wheel base, low seat height, chair-like posture, no fairing, road tires); sport bikes (low ground clearance, short wheel base, moderate seat height, forward-leaning posture, full fairing, road tires) and dirt bikes (high ground clearance, moderately short wheel base, high seat height, upright posture, no fairing, dirt tires).

Every other bike is some combination of those three. A naked bike is a sport bike without a fairing and a more upright posture. A sport touring bike is a sport bike with more HP, luggage and amenities like cruise control, heated grips, etc. Adventure touring/enduro/dual sport bikes are high powered dirt bikes with some fairing/windscreen, luggage and road/dirt or just road tires. I put the Versys in the latter category.

Not looking to argue. Just my opinion.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode