Versys break in! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys break in!

Well guys, i just bought my brand new versys, and, man, what a dream! my only complaint is the low end viberation, but durning the break in period you have to ride at much lower than normal rpms, so that is probably half the problem, just a few things i want are saddle bags, and a taller windsheild for sure, im about 6 foot and that thing just dont do it for me haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:33 AM

Yeah, the break-in is absolutely ridiculous - it gives you a usable range of about 200 RPM's. This engine just starts to come alive above 5 thousand RPM's. After reading probably about 150 different opinions about how to properly break-in a motorcycle engine I chose my own route - that being not staying at one RPM for a long period of time and lots of slow roll-ons up to approximately 8 or 9 thousand RPM's then rolling off the throttle slowly letting the engine slow the bike back down until the engine was around 3k RPM's. I found this quite easy to do while commuting in the wonderfully miserable Seattle traffic. Then I changed the oil/filter at about 500 miles instead of the recommended 600. As carefully as possible I inspected the oil that drained out and saw no evidence of metallic bits present - in fact the oil was amazingly clean. I'm going to change the oil again (with non-synthetic) again at around 1000 to 1200 depending on rides then go to the normal recommended interval with semi-synth or full synth.

Anyways, I guess my main point is that there are so many different opinions about this subject - people get almost religious about it. Do what feels right to you - but at the absolute minimum I would say do what the manual says.

Regarding the taller windshield: I'm 5'11" and not exactly thin and I went ahead and ordered the Givi windscreen the day I picked up my bike. I installed it a couple weeks later when it arrived on the highest setting and immediately went out for a 250+ mile ride. I was quite surprised at how much buffeting there was behind this huge windshield. After reading a couple other entries on another Versys forum I tried lowering the Givi to its lowest setting - what a difference. Much cleaner air over the top and virtually no buffeting. If you get the Givi windshield I would recommend trying it on the lowest setting first.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your info! I live on the olympic peninsula so as you know, our weather hasnt held out a whole lot for riding yet, and i work on a tug boat out of ballard so ive owned it for 2 months and just turned 100 miles haha... I did notice another thing.... the front tire throws any debris and dirt right into the radiator! im thinking extend-a-fender , do you know if they make one? im gonna have to check out the windscreen too.... what exactly constitues as one rpm for " too long" all we have around here are highways so its hard to change it up

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:26 PM

I just received my "Fenda Extenda" from Adventure Motorsport which I ordered from here: http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/...ode=versys_650

Haven't installed it yet but it doesn't seem like it's long enough to do much. However, it does appear to be long enough to keep the crud off at least the radiator. That site has a pretty good price on the Givi windscreen too. I'm sure there are other sites that have the extenda too that others can recommend. I ordered from Adventure Motorsport because they are in Nevada and shipping doesn't take as long as another well known distributor who is located in Rhode Island - that seems to take forever.

I know what you mean about the weather - however tomorrow and Saturday are shaping up to be amazing. A couple friends and I are heading out Saturday for a couple-hundred miles of backroad riding.

As far as the RPM's, I'd say if you're on the freeway just speed up gradually and then roll back off to a comfortable speed every few minutes instead of hanging at the same speed/RPM for long periods of time. I have it a bit easier - I've been commuting to work in the lovely Seattle traffic...speed up, slow down, stop, speed up, stop, etc....
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 12:03 AM

break in gas milage....

During my break in my gas milage is just above 40 mpg. I have not been above 4000 rpm so it seems like i am really babying it. I have read where most are getting above 50, how many mpg's are you guys getting?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 10:18 AM

I'm just over 1000 miles and still getting around 40 to 45 mpg. I'm definitely not babying it any more but the majority of my riding is either backroads or in traffic so it's a lot of stop and go. Haven't done a long freeway trip yet so I'm not sure if that would give me better mileage.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:07 PM

breaking it in

I kept it under the 4000 rpm for the first 400km...finally could not take it anymore so now I am running it up to 5000rnpm for the the 500km or so...gonna break it in progressively...runs like a dream so far...put on my rear hugger and front sliders I got from twinshack...
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 01:23 PM

I was told by the dealer that the only thing I had to de for break in was not to run it at the same RPM for too long (similar to what Timmsumm was explaining) and then get an oil and filter change at 1000km (Yeah we're metric in Canada) and that was it.

Any comments on this!!!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'll give mine a good quick and progressive break-in by loading the engine to properly seal the rings, as explained here; http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm.
After a full warm up, accelerate through low gears at 1/2 throttle from 40% to 60% max rpm (4000-6000 rpm) and engine-brake down a few times. Drive moderately for 15 minutes, then accelerate through low gears at 3/4 throttle from 40% to 80% max rpm (4000-8000 rpm) and engine-brake down a few times. Drive moderately for 15 minutes, then accelerate at full throttle from 30% to 100% max rpm (3000-10000+ rpm) and engine-brake down a few times. Drive moderately for 15 minutes, then give it a good ride. Change the oil and filter after first day. Change it again at 1000 Kms (600 miles) and service. Switch to synthetic oil at 2500 Kms (1500 miles)...
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I'll give mine a good quick and progressive break-in by loading the engine to properly seal the rings, as explained here; http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm.
After a full warm up, accelerate through low gears at 1/2 throttle from 40% to 60% max rpm (4000-6000 rpm) and engine-brake down a few times. Drive moderately for 15 minutes, then accelerate through low gears at 3/4 throttle from 40% to 80% max rpm (4000-8000 rpm) and engine-brake down a few times. Drive moderately for 15 minutes, then accelerate at full throttle from 30% to 100% max rpm (3000-10000+ rpm) and engine-brake down a few times. Drive moderately for 15 minutes, then give it a good ride. Change the oil and filter after first day. Change it again at 1000 Kms (600 miles) and service. Switch to synthetic oil at 2500 Kms (1500 miles)...
I am picking up my lady's bike on Saturday and then it gets the Motoman break in for sure. I have been doing all my bikes this way for a while now and have had very good results.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 11:11 AM

It's also how the owner's service manual for my Yamaha WR426 specified to break it in over about 90 minutes, after which "It is now ready to race." It's still running strong and burning no oil after 18540 Kms. Same with my Toyota which saw redline within 200 Kms, now at 140000 Kms...
Connecting rods also stretch at higher rpm, putting piston higher up into unworn sections of the bore.

Last edited by invader; 04-16-2008 at 03:53 PM.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 06:41 PM

Smile Breakin and Gas Milage

Guys,

I've been breaking in my new Versys (got it a week and a half ago) and was told by my dealer to ignore the 4,000 RPM limit, but not keep it at the same RPM all the time. I've been taking it real easy and on my first tank of gas I got 47 MPG, that's much better than my F150!

As far as buffeting and windshields, I'm 6'3" and just set the factory windshield up to it's highest level, and that has made a big difference. I'm going to be communting with the bike and so am not real worried about highway buffeting just yet. If I ever do any touring, I'll probably pop for the CalSci version, it looks huge!

All in all, I'm thrilled with the bike so far!
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Connecting rods also stretch at higher rpm, putting piston higher up into unworn sections of the bore.
You can't possibly believe that. I hope not anyway. Because it is absolutely not true.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 01:23 PM

i just got mine and didnt read the manual...im pretty much a novice.

Put about 100 miles on it

cant say ive red lined it but i have pushed it harder than i should have accroding to the manual.

Any advice? anything to worry about...
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecreeper77 View Post
i just got mine and didnt read the manual...im pretty much a novice.

Put about 100 miles on it

cant say ive red lined it but i have pushed it harder than i should have accroding to the manual.

Any advice? anything to worry about...
Don't worry, be happy. Don't give it another thought. Have a great summer.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 12:37 PM

I broke in my new versys riding 900km in 2 days. I did what the guy from kawasaki told me to do...driving it like I would normally, but avoiding keeping the revs at the same place or staying on the same gear for too long (and of course avoiding the redline). We did some very curvy roads which was good to allow changing gears often and not keeping the same speed. Can't say if this was the best way to break it in...but it was fun After about 250-300km I did push the bike to 8-9000rpm once in a while during accelerations, but never kept it there for long. I have my first maintenance sceduled but so far so good. Couldnt help to try out the top speed at the end of my second run...195km/h. Not bad, but the best part is really the accelerations, this bike is a joy to ride and very confortable. I'll let you know if the pistons and rings need replacement at the first maintenance
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbox View Post
You can't possibly believe that. I hope not anyway. Because it is absolutely not true.
Yes it it true. Metal has elastic properties and can stretch, twist, bend, especially when heated... Connecting rods are subjected to very high tensile, compression and bending stresses which increases progressively at higher rpm's. This combined with crankshaft throw from primary stresses and deformations due to gas pressure and inertia forces does add up to a considerable but normal difference.
At any rate, I just put 231 Kms on the first ride with new Versys. I did the break-in progressively like I mentioned, varying speeds and loads often, a few 4000-6000 rpm runs, after a while 4000-8000 rpm runs, then by 100 Kms I was doing a few 3000-10500 rpm runs. I expected to just run it up to 10000 but it pulls real strong right up to redline in second gear. I rode till I parked it at 231 Kms and drained the oil... Now it's snowing again!!

Last edited by invader; 10-03-2009 at 04:01 AM.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I expected to just run it up to 10000 but it pulls real stong right up to redline in second gear. I rode till I parked it at 231 Kms and drained the oil... Now it's snowing again!!
I had a KX250 10 years ago but this is my first streetbike and I was surprised how much acceleration you can get from 65HP...I did a wheelie the first time I decided to really accelerate in first gear, only found out I did a wheelie when I felt the front wheel touch the ground..it lifted so smoothly. And in 2e and 3rd the front wheel stays on the ground but I'm just thrilled with the power you get as soon as 4-5000rpm...compared to other bikes that need to scream to accelerate...Very satisfied with this bike so far..oh and it just LOVES curvy roads!
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 07:31 PM

I have a little over 3,500 miles on my Versys and once you have it broke in you can really have some fun with it when you open it up. This bike will accelerate as fast as you can twist the throttle and shift the gears. I've had mine up to 100 just to see what it had and backed off. With that small windshield that was fast enough for me. I backed off but the bike still wasn't done accelerating. It would have went faster but I wasn't on a racetrack.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 07:56 PM

100...thats in mph I guess? It does reach at least 120mph...when you rest your helmet on the tank :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode