Interstate mpg? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Interstate mpg?

I was reading the post on highway manners at interstate speed and got to wondering about mpg. So, with stock gearing and lightly loaded, at speeds around 70-75 what can a person expect? I have a trip thru Va, Wva, and Ky coming up and range per tank will be important to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 09:01 AM

48 to 50 mpg is possible just cruising at 75 has been my experience.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 09:02 AM

I usually get around 55 mpg. I usually start looking for fuel at 200 miles. You can stretch the range some by filling the tank to the top.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 09:05 AM

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 09:37 AM

The sweet spot seems to be around 60-65 MPH for me, 60 MPG or so at that speed. Mileage starts bleeding off pretty promptly faster than that.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 11:23 AM

at 70-75... about 50mpg

my best is 59 my worst is 48
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 04:24 PM

45 is about my best :S

More lie 40s when the bike has the bags. I actually get better MPGs in the city.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Check out fuely (I be leave that is what it is called)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

I'm really surprised at the mpg you folks are reporting. Now that I have 10,000 miles on the odo, mileage has improved to 47-48 mpg. This is at speeds around 60. It is very rare that I see 8k on the tach, more like 6k so I don't dog it......maybe I should.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 07:46 PM

Garage
I shift between 6-8000 rpms. I always get around 49 +/-2. Except for time I rode through Wyoming and realised I never shifted into 6th. Oops.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 07:50 PM

Garage
My mpg is sh*t due to living in Portland

yes im a guy.

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 08:18 PM

Garage
I've gotten 50mpg on the last 2 tanks. That's in mixed two lane roads, mostly commuting.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 09:07 PM

About every two months I do a 500-mile all-interstate day to Philadelphia from central Ohio and back. I have also done interstate runs similar to the one you're describing, from West Virginia to Savannah, Ga. I never seem to get the mileage others here get. I drop below 50 mpg unless I'm putting along at 55 mph on a two-lane. When I'm riding 65-75 mph my mileage drops into the low 40s. I can't think of anything I'm doing that's unusual. Obviously, for these all-day interstate drones, I'm in sixth gear. I have Givi saddlebags mounted, but they're the small ones. Anyone want to tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 09:20 PM

I'm meticulous about checking mileage when I check. Everything is corrected, mileage, speed, etc.

Mostly I get around 50 mpg around town/highway mix. How you drive is the key. If you accelerate hard you use more fuel. I you use your brakes hard you use more fuel. If you travel at high speeds on the highway you use more fuel. If you have side bags you use more fuel. I don't have side bags on the Versys, just a top box.

On the highway I sometimes do 600 - 700 mile days. First tank usually doesn't have as high fuel mileage. On long trips I figure mileage on several tanks to eliminate some of the inconsistency in fill levels.

So traveling at 68 mph (indicated with 16T) 70 mph (true) about 5,200 rpm I consistently get in the 55 mpg range. Correction factor for the odo is 1.07 (reads low because of 16T). Mileage is usually figured off GPS as well. I often run out a tank at on sitting, around 200 miles.

Crusing at 100 mph I can averate in the 40 mpg range.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 10:38 PM

Garage
I currently get 45mpg (US) @ 73 mph; I have OCD.
I get 40mpg @ 80mph.

correct 1.0666~ for 16t front cog.

I HEARD YOU'RE IDEA'S AND THEIR DEFINATELY GOOD.
xkcd.com / 1238
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 11:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post
About every two months I do a 500-mile all-interstate day to Philadelphia from central Ohio and back. I have also done interstate runs similar to the one you're describing, from West Virginia to Savannah, Ga. I never seem to get the mileage others here get. I drop below 50 mpg unless I'm putting along at 55 mph on a two-lane. When I'm riding 65-75 mph my mileage drops into the low 40s. I can't think of anything I'm doing that's unusual. Obviously, for these all-day interstate drones, I'm in sixth gear. I have Givi saddlebags mounted, but they're the small ones. Anyone want to tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Big question are the American gallons or dirty Brit gallons (j/k)?

yes im a guy.

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 01:03 AM

If you want the Ultimate gas mileage, drive 55mph! It is the optimum for cars, so it should be good for motorcycles too. Of course you will get a lot of horns honked at you and maybe a few things thrown in your direction by cars passing you, but you will get amazing gas mileage. You should get near 60 mp(US)g w/ethanol or better. Try it for a test if it is that important.

I drove the lower West side of I-10 in Texas en route to El Paso with a long stretch between gas stations. My 14 mpg Dakota w/ethanol got 26 to 28 mpg at 55 mph! That's over 85% freakin percent improvement! Of course Texans routinely cruise at 100mph w/some speed limits in TX at 85mph: so I would be afraid to do it on a motorcycle. But it's something to keep in mind if you miss the last chance gas station and have a ways to go to the next one.

Last edited by kawdog; 07-25-2015 at 01:11 AM.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 06:55 AM

Folks it Texas don't routinely cruise at 100 mph . . . if they want to keep their license for long, not even on the stretches of interstate where the speed limit is 85. We have cops here, too. Not sure but I think the only place where the speed limit is 85 is the toll road near Austin, interstate is 80 most other highways are 75.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 08:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Folks it Texas don't routinely cruise at 100 mph . . . if they want to keep their license for long, not even on the stretches of interstate where the speed limit is 85. We have cops here, too. Not sure but I think the only place where the speed limit is 85 is the toll road near Austin, interstate is 80 most other highways are 75.
You need to do more homework, or get out more.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 08:45 AM

According to your map, I've been everywhere you've been plus a couple. The only place in Texas where the speed limit is 85 is the 41 mile long toll road, SH130, near Austin. I-10 is 80 out west.

Last edited by waltermitty; 07-25-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode