Pelican 1440's as panniers? (vs. Givi V35 Monokey's) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2015, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Question Pelican 1440's as panniers? (vs. Givi V35 Monokey's)

I'd like to take some 1-2 week trips this summer/fall on my Versys 650 and need to get some panniers. I've spent a lot of time reading about the different options available and have pretty much narrowed it down to these (although I'm open to other suggestions!):

1) Givi V35 Monokey side cases

From what I've read, these are the same as the OEM cases.

Pros:
  • They look nice
  • They are easy to remove from the bike
  • They look like they would be very aerodynamic

Cons:
  • Not waterproof
  • Questionable durability/strength (afraid they would break in a crash)
  • The curves would make it harder to fit rectangular objects (like a laptop) in the cases

2) Pelican 1440 cases

Not designed to be panniers, but who cares!

Pros:
  • Nearly indestructible
  • $200 cheaper
  • Waterproof
  • Much narrower

Cons:
  • Don't have that aerodynamic shape, so probably produce a lot more drag (but how much more? would it be noticeable?)
  • Would have to do some DIY work drilling holes in the cases and mounting them to a rack

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2015, 05:12 PM

Garage
How do the pelican hook up ?

I manage to render my V35 relatively waterproof

I've run a peice of foam tape under the existing rubber seal
So when the cover are closed, more pressure is applied and thus getting a much better seal
Not perfect, but pretty close

LOP
Old 07-23-2015, 07:14 PM

I've had V-35s for a few years now and find them entirely acceptable. Don't have any problems fitting my laptop although I have to say it isn't an 18 inch model. I usually use hard case liners but haven't had trouble with water proofness (is that a word?). I'll also agree they weren't designed to absorb the weight of a heavy bike in a fall, but I'd rather sacrifice a hard case than expensive parts of the machine itself.

As far as the Pelican bags are concerned I agree they aren't aerodynamic although they're no doubt sturdier. To me they look like industrial strength medical waste containers. Not my cup of tea and not necessary for my riding style. Oh, and "much narrower" also translates to less interior space into which things can be stuffed.

In the end, it depends on your type of riding. If you're going to ride off road a lot and thrash about in the dirt and mud and sand, the Pelicans are probably the better bet. They may even hold a tipped-over bike off the ground without being damaged. And, from the saddle you can't see them.

And, if you decide on the Pelicans you could always put hazardous waste decals on each case and people might give you a wide berth on the road. Not a bad thing.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 07-23-2015 at 07:20 PM.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
And, if you decide on the Pelicans you could always put hazardous waste decals on each case and people might give you a wide berth on the road. Not a bad thing.
DOT would make you stop at every weigh station, charge you a fee, and then fine you too
Old 07-23-2015, 08:17 PM

I have 1520s on my KLR and they are the largest frame sliders you ever saw! BUT they hold a bunch of stuff and are easy to load and unload after I put some stops in them, these are a suitcase style unlike the 1440. I like them the 1520 are a bit on the small size for some folk but I suffer for Over Packer disorder and I'd pack my bowling ball collection if I could at times! I've had them for 6 years and not problem s or leaks.. To mount them I drilled holes and used SS screws to bolt them to the SW Motech brackets BUT Twisted Throttle has a mounting kit as well.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Old 07-23-2015, 10:16 PM

Garage
My Kappa 33's have never leaked

Last edited by MaverickAus; 07-24-2015 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I have 1520s on my KLR and they are the largest frame sliders you ever saw! BUT they hold a bunch of stuff and are easy to load and unload after I put some stops in them, these are a suitcase style unlike the 1440. I like them the 1520 are a bit on the small size for some folk but I suffer for Over Packer disorder and I'd pack my bowling ball collection if I could at times! I've had them for 6 years and not problem s or leaks.. To mount them I drilled holes and used SS screws to bolt them to the SW Motech brackets BUT Twisted Throttle has a mounting kit as well.

Looks good!

Do you feel like they create a lot of drag? Does the bike handle noticeably different with them on?

Also, what do you mean by "easy to load and unload after I put some stops in them"?
Old 07-24-2015, 03:57 AM

I don't thing there's much change in handling until I really load it up. Drag isn't really noticeable on a motorcycle like the KLR, it's a drag beast anyway.

The stops, I should have said straps just keep the lids from flopping all the way open and dumping everything on the ground.

Before

After

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Old 07-24-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I don't thing there's much change in handling until I really load it up. Drag isn't really noticeable on a motorcycle like the KLR, it's a drag beast anyway.

The stops, I should have said straps just keep the lids from flopping all the way open and dumping everything on the ground.

Before

After

That's impressive. Add a Kermit chair or two and they would a very nice roadside picnic table.

Arion

Old 07-24-2015, 09:57 AM

Garage
Cheap Aluminum Boxes DIY

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/st...4-1-4-x-16-3-4

These may be a bit wide buy for the price point of under $150 for a pair if they only lasted a couple of crashes you could afford to have backups on the shelf. Who wants to try and give me the skinny?
Old 07-24-2015, 11:19 AM

Garage
You know, I watched someone on a Multistrada that had Givi cases low speed/low side at Moto America in Utah a few weeks ago. Those cases were pretty good sliders in that case. I'm not sure if they build them so that the all plastic parts hit the ground and not the paint, but you could hardly tell she did anything.

I know the Pelicans would be the BEST sliders, because if you ever damage a case Pelican will replace the case for free less shipping. I just replace a few cases for work (BIG EXPENSIVE MODIFIED CASES) and it was no haggle and easy to do.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post

The Kappas are great. Just got back from a week in the high Sierras. Work like a charm. Also they were cheaper then the for like Givis.

Binderline

Last edited by binderline; 07-24-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by binderline View Post
The Kappas are great. Just got back from a week in the high Sierras. Work like a charm. Also they were cheaper then the for like Givis.
+1. I bought the Kappa K40 side cases as they were cheaper than the Givi version. I used them this Summer in some terrible pounding extended rain - no leaks.

I also have Givi E21s. The top loading, I think, May be even better to ensure waterproof closure. And, I have dropped the bike with the Givi boxes taking the damage. Stopped in a gravel lot, got scuffs to the corner of the box but it was plenty strong enough for that.

Always trust your cape.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
DOT would make you stop at every weigh station, charge you a fee, and then fine you too
I suspected DOT didn't have a sense of humor. Ah well.

Arion

Old 07-24-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post

You know, I'm not sure but I think I can see some green on your V.

Arion

Old 07-25-2015, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bster View Post

Not designed to be panniers, but who cares!

Cons:
  • Don't have that aerodynamic shape, so probably produce a lot more drag (but how much more? would it be noticeable?)
  • Would have to do some DIY work drilling holes in the cases and mounting them to a rack

Thoughts?
I think your body will act as a "spoiler" for the Pelicans, so they will NOT get as much drag as they look like they would sitting there.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 07-29-2015, 02:06 PM

Garage
Will be mounting these on the BMW GS over the next couple of weeks

They ran $44.87 with shipping for the pair. A little weather stripping and some bolts and thumb nuts from the hardware store + some caulk and a couple reenforcing strips of sheet metal and they should be good to go. I already have a rack (came with bike) so should run me under $55 total.

I have the Givi 35V on the Versys. I have grown to love them. The ease of the push button open/removal is hard to beat. I laid the bike down once in at slow speed on a gravel turn and one came out with some scratches but that is it. It stayed on the bike and really only caused cosmetic damage.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:13 PM

Nice thing about Givi Bags is you can replace parts if they get damaged, don't need a whole new bag.

2012 650 Versys
Old 07-29-2015, 03:58 PM

Garage
I agree but man are they expensive. The matching painted panels cost me an arm and a leg.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:00 PM

Garage
My v35 bags have 40,000 miles of use between two bikes now. I like everything about them. Even added admorelighting LEDs to them and I can't say enough good things about them. I would be concerned with the pelicans for high speed stability, and winds. Had 1550 caribou system on the KLR and didn't like going over 65.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in