Windshield for tall rider, MK2 650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2015, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Windshield for tall rider, MK2 650

I rode from Mexico City to Deals Gap (Robbinsville, NC) with the stock windshield. It wasn't too bad, but I did took a beating from the wind. I did the same ride on my XT660R and I think it was about the same, meaning the stock windshield makes no difference...

So I added the OEM vario touring windshield (the one made by MRA with the X-Creen) and even in the highest position, with the X-creen at its tallest position, the wind is at the height of my visor. In fact, there is more wind noise and buffeting at the highest position

So at this point I'm considering going all out and getting a plank of acrylic to put in front of me, the CalSci or Madstadt 20" windshields...

Any other options that I haven't considered?

Advantages of the Madstadt over the CalSci? I think the CalSci is wider, and I don't care that much about the adjustments, this thing will be used only for touring and it will come off the moment I get home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2015, 12:41 PM

In my experience, the CalSci does work very well to keep wind off your torso and face BUT once I get up into interstate "cruising speed" (well above posted Interstate speed limits for me), I get some serious buffeting as the wind buffets just the top of my helmet. I'm 6'2" and had the stock seat.

My experience with a SeatConcepts seat and MRA screen are that there is no buffeting but there is a more wind on my shoulders/head (it's just smoother).
Old 07-22-2015, 01:16 PM

my tall screen is from some unknown bike. I flipped it upside down and drilled new holes. it flips the air farther out to the sides of my head and really cuts down on buffeting. warmer weather I just use the stock screen and deal with the noise of the airflow.

sometimes wishing for a quieter helmet.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:08 AM

Garage
I have a cee Bailey 20" screen on my 09. It works pretty well to cut down wind and buffeting up to the high 80s-mph. Even higher if tuck in behind it a bit. It also makes it easy to ride with my visor flipped up, which is something I never did with my modified stock screen setup.

If I had to order another one, I'd probably go with the 21" just to have a little less turbulence along the top of my helmet.

'09 Versys
Old 09-10-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samill2 View Post
In my experience, the CalSci does work very well to keep wind off your torso and face BUT once I get up into interstate "cruising speed" (well above posted Interstate speed limits for me), I get some serious buffeting as the wind buffets just the top of my helmet. I'm 6'2" and had the stock seat.

My experience with a SeatConcepts seat and MRA screen are that there is no buffeting but there is a more wind on my shoulders/head (it's just smoother).
Which size of CalSci windshield do you have?
Old 09-11-2015, 10:36 AM

Madstad's are awesome but pricey. I really like my Puig Touring Screen. I'm 5' 10" and at half-height the air's just catching the top of my helmet.

2008 Ninja 250
2009 KLR 650
2015 Versys 1000 LT

Bob
Menasha, WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in