I bought a Versys 1000, thinking of trading it in on a 650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

I bought a Versys 1000, thinking of trading it in on a 650

I hate the 4 cylinder buzziness and there is a ton of engine heat, seat gets very hot and the black tank gets scorching hot, I used to have a 2008 Versys and enjoyed the parallel twin, also I am not enjoying the Versys 1000 extra weight, I think I made a mistake oh well, any thoughts, am I crazy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 08:35 AM

You may be crazy...but that should have no bearing on you having the bike you like.

If you don't like it move on to the next adventure
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 09:30 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
OK I'll trade you

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 09:44 AM

As you now know, the only thing the Versys 1000 shares with the Versys 650 is a name. It's built on the Z1000 platform, and shares the traits of that bike, both good and bad. People who thought that they could "upgrade" and get all the things they loved about the V650 in a package with more power are sadly mistaken. A lot of people love the V1000, but it's a group of people who value vastly different qualities in a motorcycle. It seems that the V3 650 is an upgrade though, all the things we love about the Versys, with some genuinely useful improvements.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
... the only thing the Versys 1000 shares with the Versys 650 is a name ...
and apparently the 'buzziness'! haha

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 11:36 AM

From what I've read and heard, the V 1000 is more targeted to those people who ride long distances, two up, with luggage.

I'm going in the other direction with my '08 V, cutting parts off of it, making it lighter, lower, sportier, more forward lean.

If I want to take a long trip with my V, I throw it on my trailer.

My tow vehicle (a Honda Accord) has lots of room for luggage, has satellite radio, ...and it's air conditioned!!!

Last edited by trialsguy; 07-22-2015 at 11:43 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 11:57 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
From what I've read and heard, the V 1000 is more targeted to those people who ride long distances, two up, with luggage.

I'm going in the other direction with my '08 V, cutting parts off of it, making it lighter, lower, sportier, more forward lean.

If I want to take a long trip with my V, I throw it on my trailer.

My tow vehicle (a Honda Accord) has lots of room for luggage, has satellite radio, ...and it's air conditioned!!!
Why not get a ninja or 636?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 12:30 PM

If you liked the small V more, maybe a better upgrade would be the new small V? I hear it has less vibrations, comfier seat, more relaxed footpegs position, better suspension, better wind protection, larger tank, slightly stronger engine, better brakes, better carrying capacity... And it looks great

I haven't ridden the old V650, I have the new one, but it seems that Kawi actually listened to the common complaints and fixed them. That's exactly what a new model is supposed to be. I absolutely love mine, though it is a bit underpowered for fast highway stints.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
Why not get a ninja or 636?
Good question -

Several reasons

1) Too extreme for me - too much forward lean, need to wring its neck to get any power out of it.

2) It has more speed than I need. [I have issues with self-control at times.]

3) I just spoke to a riding buddy of mine, who traded his KTM 950 for a used one of these, and he absolutely hates it. It has no low end or mid range power at all. It doesn't even begin to make power until its spinning over 7500 RPM. It also can't wheelie (Which he likes to do. Me - not so much). Neither he nor I do track days.

4) I'm nearing retirement, so I'm trying to minimize any excess investments in toys... and be happy with what I've got at hand (a 7 + year old V and a nice garage with tools).
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 12:46 PM

the ninja 650 is almost the same as the versys - you may be thinking of the 4cyl ninjas

the ninja 650 has a little more forward lean but not as much as the zx6 ninja.

if the ninja 650 doesn't have enough mid range grunt you can swap in the cams from the v.

zx6r

650r

notice the angle of the grips. the ninja 650 is more neutral

Last edited by kohburn; 07-22-2015 at 01:00 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANYONWLF7 View Post
I hate the 4 cylinder buzziness and there is a ton of engine heat, seat gets very hot and the black tank gets scorching hot, I used to have a 2008 Versys and enjoyed the parallel twin, also I am not enjoying the Versys 1000 extra weight, I think I made a mistake oh well, any thoughts, am I crazy?
Not sure how you're riding it, but when I'm moving I don't notice any heat. What is there in stop and go traffic is no worse than anything I've ridden with an engine for quite some time.

I too was a little dismayed at first as the reviews were talking about buttery smoothness and mine felt like a typical inline that buzzed at various places in the rev range. It was never troublesome, just a minor annoyance. As the bike has broken in, it's become much smoother. Basically not noticing any vibs until ~6k rpm and then only for a short spurt and its pretty smooth up to redline. In fact, it's so smooth I often bang it off the rev limiter because I have no visceral cue to get me to shift.

I think weight is a non issue. You bolt all the bags, hand protectors, center stand etc to the 650, it will weigh just about the same as the V1K. Similarly, if you want to lose some weight, just start taking that stuff off.

Someone mentioned that the V1K shares nothing with the V650 and on that I disagree. Maybe the parts have different numbers, but they share the same height, riding position, and looks as one another. I'm sure there's a whole bunch of commonality between switchgear, lights, wheels etc. To me that is every bit as important as whether or not one makes more power.

Do what ya like, but I'd guess you're going to take a beating on that trade.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
the ninja 650 is almost the same as the versys - you may be thinking of the 4cyl ninjas ...
Yep, I was thinking of the 4 cyl 636 and 600. Good point on the Ninja 650. My issue with that model is that is has even cheaper / less adjustable suspension than my V, but with all the buzzing.

Did I indicate that I wanted a different bike? I don't think so.

I just wanted to point out that the 650 V is very versatile, and changeable (to a point). And if its changeable, that means it can be changed back, when needed. And fiddling with my bike allows me to better bond with it. And that's a good thing.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 04:23 PM

When i was shopping for a bike i looked closely at he 650 and 1000 in the end i liked the balance on the 1000 better even though it is heavier, i couldn't tell the difference. I also plan on doing a lot of two up riding with the wife and long highway runs. the 1000 is a better fit for me. But that's just me. everyone is different.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 05:22 PM

Garage
Quote:

Back in 2011 I thought I would replace my '07 Ninja 650 with a Ninja 1000. Went to a Kawasaki demo event and rode one. It vibrated at 5300 rpms in the right foot peg, and then the handlebars at 8000.

Then I hopped on the Versys 650 and it put a huge smile on my face. Almost 30,000 miles later and it is still my favorite bike.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 07:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Wow yeah I'll swap ya I love the 1K (still love my 650 too)
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Yep, I was thinking of the 4 cyl 636 and 600. Good point on the Ninja 650. My issue with that model is that is has even cheaper / less adjustable suspension than my V, but with all the buzzing.

Did I indicate that I wanted a different bike? I don't think so.

I just wanted to point out that the 650 V is very versatile, and changeable (to a point). And if its changeable, that means it can be changed back, when needed. And fiddling with my bike allows me to better bond with it. And that's a good thing.
quite true - wonder if the handle bar and mount from the 650r would fit the V. I'd never contemplated lowering the bar before, only raising it.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Yes I'll take a beating on the trade, but the loan amount will drop big time, I guess I just like the character of the parallel twin better than a 4 cylinder, it's all good, does the screen on the 2015 work well? I'm 5'10", or will I need a taller screen
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 07:45 AM

I will trade you straight up. haha. But seriously as others have said if you don't like it move on. I owned a 06 650R, and I loved that bike, and it was a huge reason I bought the versys. Ultimately I like the V better, but its really splitting hairs if you ask me. You need to do what makes you happy, and from what little I read from your post I would say trade it in and get a 15' V.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...does the screen on the 2015 work well? I'm 5'10", or will I need a taller screen
I too am 5' 10" - the windshield on my 2015 650LT is GREAT! (I've got a thread going comparing the Gen 1 and Gen 3 Vs.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 10:30 AM

Take the hit and get the bike you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode