possible trip to Alaska - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Que

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
possible trip to Alaska

I've been running the idea through my head about taking a trip to Alaska with a buddy. What I want to know is if anyone has taken the "V" that far with any problems and if so what problems were there? I would be leaving from the Sacramento area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 03:48 AM

Que... I'm taking the same trip with a few friends next summer. We plan on taking all the way up north to deadhorse. I know a few people that have taken their cruisers and even sportbikes... yes sportbikes LOL

The V with upgraded tires will have no problems.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 04:31 AM

Going to Alaska, check out this ride report.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356672

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
the bike will do just fine. bring a spare chain .... know how to do your own tire work and have everything with you to do it .... go light. you don't need that kitchen sink.
agreement with that last statement requires that i suggest bringing master links/tools instead of a chain and just a plug kit and the skills to use it. maybe that's what jd meant.

you can get your tires changed at the beemer store in anchorage, if you happen to need tires.

don't fret, the bike can hack it, as is.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:06 AM

Check out the Alaska State Ferry system. I'm looking at doing this next summer with a ride up and take the ferry most of the way home route. Reasonably cheap and you see some beautiful parts of AK/Canada that you wouldn't see on a bike.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 11:35 AM

Excellent advise all round. One word of caution, take care when using a power washer anywhere on any bike. If you are not careful you can cause some major problems with seals etc.

Machog

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
no, what i meant was to bring a new spare chain with the correct link count. forget the chain tools. bring a couple of clip style 520 oring masters.

when i refer to doing your own tire work, it goes way beyond sticking a plug in it. you need to be able to pull the tire to patch it or install a tube...and have the skill and tools to do it on the side of the road.
oh, in that case, i disagree. no need for a spare chain, unless the one already mounted is on it's last legs when the trip starts. in that case, i'd change it before leaving. yes, i know about the road conditions. it won't destroy the chain. visit that wd40 thread and choose your weapon.

ditto tire tools. if you have the skills and propensity and you would carry these things anywhere, sure. if not, don't worry about it. a tire is no more likely to go flat in alaska than anywhere else. even then, if necessary, you can go quite a ways on a well-done plug. i would give a different answer if you had a bike with inner tubes. but since you don't...

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 08:46 PM

I am 95% certain Ill be on the V going back up there in 2011. Everybody says Alaska is great and it is. However, Canada is just as good and a larger scale. Whole lotta nothing for days on the Canada side. Alaska seemed crowded when I was up there in 2008. Just go!! You will have a blast. Put on new chain sprockets tires before you leave and forget about them.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Que

WOW!!! thanks for all the great advise. I figure I could plan this trip in a year or so. I need to see if i can get work and family in order and then hopfully I'll be off.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 10:09 AM

Hi,

I have never been to Alaska but I want to go. I think the Versys would do fine on your trip.

I do have some buddies going there now, they left today on their trip. You can follow their trip using their spot tracker on this web site:
http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=5404

They did just leave today so there isn't much yet but there will be.

Glenn
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 12:03 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Tom327Cat
Tip #1 Go up in time to catch Dust to Dawson.
Tip #2 Alaska Leather for tires and gear. The Motorcycle Shop for maintenance.
Tip #3 http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode