Wd40 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wd40

I am headed out on a 4 day 1200 mile trip this weekend and will have to lube the chain along the way. I normally use dupont teflon spray. (blue can) I don't want to bring along a can this large so I was thinking about getting one of those really small cans of WD40 and using that for the couple of times the chain will need iit.
I know wd40 is not an actual lube but I also know a lot of people use it successfully as their sole chain lubricant....

Do any of you fine gents think it would be an issue to use it a couple of times instead of the dupont while on my trip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:07 AM

I've heard of others doing this without a problem. The only thing is that wd40 may cause dirt to stick to it more than the teflon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:39 AM

Just found this on http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...ube/index.html

MC: Any thoughts on the use of WD-40 as a chain lube for O-ring chains?
PJH: Whether it's WD-40 or LPS3, a motorcycle chain has such demands on it, and one of them is absorbing shock, whether it's between the sprockets and the chain, or whether it's between the internal parts of the chain. And WD-40 doesn't have that, it's not designed for that purpose, it's not formulated for that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:50 AM

Hi Mawson,

IMHO, WD40 is more of a perpetrator than a lubricator.WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement - 40th Attempt".
What I gathered here is most of the Guy use WD40 to clean the chain, wipe it dry and lube it with a chain lube can.

Using WD40 only might strip the lubricant between the chain o-ring. This may rise to metal to metal contact which would ruin the chain.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Last edited by stlee29; 05-26-2010 at 01:39 AM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 01:28 AM

I have not taken my Versys for any over night trip yet, I am very interest in what others are doing about lubing chains when they travel/tour.

I also hate to bring a big can of blue dupont teflon lube...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 02:38 AM

You could take a squeeze/dropper bottle of 80-90 or heavier gear oil. Even a trip that long shouldn't need more than a few ounces. At worst, you may have to fill up at your destination.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 06:29 AM

I use WD-40 only and have on other bikes for years. I get 25-30K out of my O-ring chains with no problems.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawson View Post
I am headed out on a 4 day 1200 mile trip this weekend and will have to lube the chain along the way. I normally use dupont teflon spray. (blue can) I don't want to bring along a can this large so I was thinking about getting one of those really small cans of WD40 and using that for the couple of times the chain will need iit.
I know wd40 is not an actual lube but I also know a lot of people use it successfully as their sole chain lubricant....

Do any of you fine gents think it would be an issue to use it a couple of times instead of the dupont while on my trip?

If you can find it they make the Blue Can Dupont stuff in a squirt bottle. Lowes had it on the shelf for a long time, but have not seen it at my local Lowes for a while.

Todd
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 07:49 AM

A few thoughts IMHO:

1) Unless you hit rain, you really don't need to lube the chain on a 1200 mile trip. While it would be ideal, it will not kill your chain if you oil before you leave and then when you get back.

2) WD40 will not kill a chain and will not eat o-rings. There is proof all over the place of people using WD40 only for chain lube for well over 30k without issue. I have used WD40 on trips, works fine, in fact I just did a 1500 mile trip on my KLX250 dual sport from NY to WV, all sorts of rain, mud, dirt and muck, used WD40 after each wet day without any problem at all.

3) Aerostich sells small squirt bottles of the Dupont Teflon lube if you really want peace of mind, it is expensive relative to a small can of WD40, but available if you must have it.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Not recommended WD40. It is not a chain lubricator and best get a small bottle of SAE 30/40 and wet the chain as you finish the days ride, so morning you will be good for abour 300miles before next lube.

I oil the chain the night before each ride or just after a ride and if I am doing overnight travel than I use Acumen Auto chain lube system. Just swith on for a few kilometers and thats it.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 08:13 AM

Use a thick chain wax on the clean chain before you leave, you will be good for 1200 miles even if it rains.

As for me, I carry a can of dupont with me. It fits nicely with my other cans of plexus, and spray cleaner polish.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:57 AM

1500 mile trip on a KLX250; I'm impressed. Stock seat?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:33 AM

I recommend go to a bicycle shop and get some chain lube. They have it in really small bottles. They have several types too. Some people like the parafin/kerosene based lube. The kerosene helps the parafin to penetrate and then evaporates and leaves the parafin mixture for the lubricant which should collect less dust. Some versions contain graphite too.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:40 AM

Here is the thing, there is nothing to penetrate. You are NOT lubing behind the orings, all you are doing is keeping the o-ring plyable so it holds the grease in, keeping drit and grit off of the chain to keep from destroying the o-ring, providing a cushion between the chain link and the sprockets to reduce sprocket wear and finally adding a layer of rust prevention.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:49 AM

DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant – Squeeze Bottle – 4oz.

Aerostich (whose motto should be, ”where everything is overpiced” $5.00 ea
http://www.aerostich.com/teflon-mult...lubricant.html

Amazon / Ace Hardware $2.99 ea
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00030BFEM/
I haven’t yet checked to see if it’s available in my local Ace Hardware store but I’m certainly going to.

Note that it’s apparently available in a 2 oz. bottle also, so watch for that when comparing prices.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I am going to look for a small bottle of the teflon stuff.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 02:02 PM

I was going to write one of my long-winded replies, but then I saw that marc covered all of the important stuff in his reply, so all I can say is read what marc wrote.

Gustavo

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 03:13 PM

Keep your chain lubricated.

What with, you decide.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
lubed my chain before a 700 mile trip packed the dupont teflon 11oz can in the tail bag lubed it again the night before i came back home

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:01 PM

Try Ace. My local Ace Hardware carries both sizes of the Dupont stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode