Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Too late to change break in method at 100 miles???

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  VerstehenZee 
#1 ·
I just went over 100 miles on my brand new '09. This is my first bike and first brand new vehicle period and I'm brand new to motorcycling. For the last 100 miles I've been following the manuals recs of keeping it under 4k rpm (although there are periods where I go above that to around 5k).

I've been reading up over the last day or two on Motoman's hard break in as well as a couple other sources that recommend the same. According to the hard break in, the most crucial time to run it hard is somewhere within the first 50 miles or so.

Considering I'm already at 100, is it too late to get the benefits of a hard break in if I work it out now? I was told by the dealer that all I need to do is to keep it under 6k rpm and bring it back for it's 600 mile service.

Being brand new to all this and reading the differing views is kinda freaking me out a little that I may be doing more harm than good!

#3 · (Edited)
It's not too late. The sooner, the better. You can start gradually increasing your loads (throttle) and rpm's right away... After a full warm up, accelerate through low gears at 3/4 throttle from 40% to 80% max rpm (4000-8000 rpm), upshift a gear and engine-brake a few times. Ride normally for a few miles, then accelerate at full throttle from 30% to 100% max rpm (3000-10000+ rpm), upshift a couple gears to engine-brake a few times. Ride normally for a few miles, then give it a good ride and change the oil and filter at the end the day.
I did the break-in progressively, varying speeds and loads often, a few 4000-6000 rpm runs, after a while 4000-8000 rpm runs, then by 100 miles I was doing a few 3000-10500 rpm runs in 2nd and 3rd gears. I expected to just run it up to 10000 but it pulls real strong right up to redline in second gear. I changed the oil at the end of the first day at 140 miles.

#6 ·
Ride it Like You Stole It!

Seriously, with the stock gearing its can be a bit hard to keep it where the manual says to during break in.
(Freeways here of 70 max) just keep it under red line and don't be abusive. Ive had my V for about a month now and have only taken it up to 9000 rpm at the most, the bike just doesn't need to be pushed realy, love my 44T Invader!
If this is your first bike you are probably taking it easy anyway.:goodidea:

#7 ·
This first 20 miles are the most important. That is really when the rings seat against the cross hatching on the honed cylinders. You're good to go, just start gradually stretching it out more and more.
By 100 miles, I'm usually spankin' it, and have never encounter issues.
This is just my opinion and worth what you paid for it. :p

#9 ·
I took it easy bringing my bike home from the dealer since it was freezing cold, very windy and had been raining all day, but even on that trip home I exceeded 4K and likely 5K and possibly even 6K. When I got home and started reading the Owner's Manual I found the section on break-in...whoops!

I did change the oil like 3 or 4 times in the first 1200 miles as penance for my sins.

#10 ·
After reading your guys' responses, I called the dealer (large and well respected in the area) and talked with one of their service guys. He did tell me to not worry about the 4k rpm limit but to try to keep it under 6k. I asked him about the oil change and he said there was no need to bring it in until the 600 mile service.

I'm really confused now...I mean it makes sense to change the oil early, but then I hear from the mechanic that there's no need. I even pushed a couple times on changing the oil now and he kept saying there was no need. You'd think he would have at least said something else, after all, if I take it in for an oil change now, I'm giving them more money (needed or not) right?

#11 ·
I'm in a similar state, but I have 300 miles on my new V and have been keeping it under 4k rpm religiously. The more I read about the motoman method of a hard break-in, the more I think this would have been the way to go from the beginning. However, since I already have 300 easy miles on it, I'm planning on doing a hard break-in as soon as I get some dry weather here in Oregon. Question is am I too late?

#14 ·
However, since I already have 300 easy miles on it, I'm planning on doing a hard break-in as soon as I get some dry weather here in Oregon. Question is am I too late?
You are not going to ride your bike until July???? ;)

If you wait for dry weather, you'll never finish that break-in (regardless of the method). Heck, I'm looking out the window now and there is this beautiful Oregon (liquid) sunshine out there... :D

OK, today is probably not the best day to be out riding, but you can run it in on a day like we had yesterday without any problems.

Gustavo

#13 ·
So, is this motoman going to honor any warranty issues you have with the engine if it breaks down?
Good logic. I can't even use 50% of my Versys capabilities. If I were a racer I'd be thinking about this, as an extra 5% of power means something. On the streets, this % power gain (if it's even valid) is never going to be noticed. I say follow the manual's guidelines.

#17 ·
I changed my oil at 50 miles and found all kinds of silvery bits in the oil. 2 quarts of oil and a $6 filter is the cheapest insurance you can buy. I will change mine again at 300 miles, then 600 miles, then every 3000 from then on. It is just too cheap and easy to do. I sort of like tinkering anyway.

A friend of mine to rebuilds engines for a living told me a long time ago, you cannot change oil too often.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.