Rambling thoughts on Seat Comfort from new Versys Owner - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rambling thoughts on Seat Comfort from new Versys Owner

Warning: This post is long winded, random, and somewhat self-serving, as a way for me to gather my thoughts. Waste your time reading at your discretion.

My new to me Versys is a 2009. I’ve been able to take several rides, and logged around 600 miles. I knew I hated the seat in the first 5 minutes. Soft, angled forward, very uncomfortable. I raised the front as per the mod on this sight about 5/8” (thanks FastFreddie), and tested it this week. A huge improvement over stock, but not perfect for me. I’ve been analyzing this in my mind, and really trying to pinpoint what makes it uncomfortable. Here are my rambling thoughts.

Most of my riding has been commuting, in jeans. I’ve noticed remembering to take my wallet out of my back pocket is critical (duh), but I also noticed part of my discomfort is the way in which this seat makes my jeans essentially ride up. It makes them tight and unforgiving in crotchal region, and the legs ride up. OK, I know that sounds weird, but only way I can explain it. I feel like the soft foam has something to do with it, as does the lack of support in the front of the seat, and under my thighs. I threw on a set of cotton cargo pants, and my padded overpants, and sure enough I thought it felt a bit more comfortable. This made me start thinking about the riding position in general, and how it may affect the riding position.

I’m 5’11” but my legs are short, 30” inseam. My torso is long, and my arms are very long at 37” in a dress shirt. Picture a slightly less hairy orangutan riding a Versys. Anyway, for me the peg height feels quite comfortable on my knees, but even with my short legs it puts my upper leg at an angle that leaves little seat support under my thigh. I have tried to adjust my legs while riding, in an attempt to mimic the feel of what it might be like with lower pegs, and I think lower pegs might actually help with support from the stock seat. I would love to know if the guys that felt raising the front of the stock seat alone was enough, are also running lowered pegs. In reality I think the peg height is appropriate, and the flaw is in the seat, but if lowering the pegs slightly helps correct overall comfort I would be fine with it. I’m at best a very occasional peg scraper, and I “pucker” every time it happens, so losing a little clearance there wouldn’t be an issue for me.

Additionally, to me, the stock cockpit feels a little cramped. I think if the step in the seat was further back, and/or the bars were further forward with less pull back, perhaps even a touch lower, it might spread me out enough to make the seat more comfortable. My reasoning is the bike I’m used to is no sport bike, but does have a sportier riding position than this, so I’m used to leaning forward and being “laid out” a bit more. I think sitting bolt upright, as I do on this bike with the stock cockpit, makes seat comfort more critical in genaral, because all of my weight (220lbs geared up) is on my a$$. My arms/abs are not taking on any of the load, as they would if I was in a sportier position.

I’m fighting the urge to make a bunch of adjustments all at once, because I know it’s a bad idea. Raising the front of the seat was a good step forward. Next step is trying an Alaskan Leather sheepskin butt pad I ordered yesterday. However I am interested in also adjusting the bar positioning as well; First rotating them forward a touch, then perhaps trying another set all-together. I have a set of Bikemaster European bend bars kicking around the garage somewhere that might be worth a try.

I’ve read just about everything I could find on the forum about the different seat options. I’m also keeping my eye out for an aftermarket at a good deal, but I haven’t given up completely on making the stock seat comfortable. In fact, I might open it up and adjust it, but I wouldn’t want to try that until after this riding season in case I botch it completely. As for aftermarket, I am most interested in the Seat Concepts, because the price is good and it seemingly has more positive reviews than any other on here, but the extra height was a bit of a turn off for me. However I just snagged a Motowerk lowering block and short kickstand used here on the forum this week, so now I can go that route without work of the height. I’m very tip toed as it is, an although I’m comfortable on a tall bike from my endure days, Once I go past tip-toed, and have to side saddle at a stop it becomes a real nuisance in any sort of traffic situation. I may need to lower it depending on how I move forward, but I really hope not to have to. It seems like a lot, if not all of the aftermarket seats move the hump back slightly, so I suspect any of them would likely feel better in that regard. The Adcock seat appeals to me since I can sit as far back as I want, and move around on a long trip, but the lack of any padding for a passenger on the other hand isn’t something I love. The Corbin, although the most “unloved” on this forum, holds appeal because I’ve had good luck with them, and prefer a harder seat, but the comments on quality issues with fitment and cover tears is alarming. My existing Corbin on my other bike has worn like Iron, and is so heavy the pan may actually be made of iron.

I am really hoping I can dial in the butt comfort factor on this bike, because I LOVE the motor, and the bike in general. I don’t subscribe to the “bigger is better” approach to displacement that has become common here in the US, and this 650 has more than enough grunt to do everything I need it to on the big roads, but not so much as to make it a bore on the small roads. It pulls so well down low, and redlines surprisingly high for a twin…I love it. Even so, I have not been willing to put the bike the Versys is slotted to replace up for sale until I am more sure of the comfort factor. That bike has a nice hard Corbin, which for me allows me to ride all day in relative comfort. I feel unless you have the room for a huge couch like seat, like you find on a big bagger or cruiser, the key to all day comfort is a relatively firm seat….and I’ve never sat on a soft Corbin! At least thats what I've found, but every butt is different I suppose and many seem to feel otherwise.

Anyway, thoughts welcome from you folks with more miles on these bikes…if anyone actually made it to the end of this long winded rambling that is.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 01:15 PM

I pulled the cover off my seat and sculpted the foam to fit right after I bought it. The stock seat seemed to want to slide me forward. It's not difficult if you take your time and if you botch it just glue some foam back in and start over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

All very well stated bro.

I took about a 275 mile day trip yesterday, (yes, quite moderate) and my arse was in agony in 80 miles or so. I agree to the poss. use of or at least try lowered pegs. I had not really looked at the Adcock seat, that is good you brought it up, I did not know there was a seat like that where the rider could move back n forth plus have a wide spot in it.

I never carry a passenger.

Yesterday, it was buggin me that I could only slide back as far as the "step" in my stock seat. It does feel cramped. I went up a size in front/back tires.... my bike has too much lean now when parked, yet I love the new tires. I made a block/footer thing for the bottom of the kickstand that raised it about 3/4 of an inch, but it's really not enough. Great though being able to park and not worry about the stand digging in or messin with stickin something under it all the time.

I also raised the seat recently about that same 5/8 inch, huge difference, and my sheepskin pad pretty well covers the "gap" that the rise=mod creates.

I hate to have to do a lowering kit, I am fine with the height of the bike after upsizing the tires, I just don't like the "lean" as my stand is now too SHORT.

I know a KLR stand would fit, but I don't know if its any longer.

I think it's an on-going topic that is warranted (COMFORT).

I also am finding I don't like the pegs, I feel like I am going to slip off em when standing and riding gravel back roads, so that's on the list too.

Bike running marvelously after invader's mod/tweeks. Anyone with a notchy throttle should give it consideration, simple, easy, deadly effective.

Thanks for the post.

EDIT:

In Googling around, I found an e-mail address for Terry (ADCOX CUSTOM SEATS), but no mention of a web address. I also think I determined his last name is spelled "ADCOX".

I sent an e-mail but if anyone knows of a web address, lemme know.

Last edited by unstable_rider; 07-16-2015 at 01:54 PM.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dct73 View Post
I pulled the cover off my seat and sculpted the foam to fit right after I bought it. The stock seat seemed to want to slide me forward. It's not difficult if you take your time and if you botch it just glue some foam back in and start over.
It's very likely I'll do this over the winter, but I don't want to chance botching it during prime riding season. I have a 3 day trip planned in a few weeks, which will be a true test for me as well. All 2 lane, likely approx 300 miles each day.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post

I took about a 275 mile day trip yesterday, (yes, quite moderate) and my arse was in agony in 80 miles or so. I agree to the poss. use of or at least try lowered pegs. I had not really looked at the Adcock seat, that is good you brought it up, I did not know there was a seat like that where the rider could move back n forth plus have a wide spot in it.

Yesterday, it was buggin me that I could only slide back as far as the "step" in my stock seat. It does feel cramped. I went up a size in front/back tires.... my bike has too much lean now when parked, yet I love the new tires. I made a block/footer thing for the bottom of the kickstand that raised it about 3/4 of an inch, but it's really not enough. Great though being able to park and not worry about the stand digging in or messin with stickin something under it all the time.

I also raised the seat recently about that same 5/8 inch, huge difference, and my sheepskin pad pretty well covers the "gap" that the rise=mod creates.

I hate to have to do a lowering kit, I am fine with the height of the bike after upsizing the tires, I just don't like the "lean" as my stand is now too SHORT.

I also am finding I don't like the pegs, I feel like I am going to slip off em when standing and riding gravel back roads, so that's on the list too.

Bike running marvelously after invader's mod/tweeks. Anyone with a notchy throttle should give it consideration, simple, easy, deadly effective.

Thanks for the post.

EDIT:

In Googling around, I found an e-mail address for Terry (ADCOX CUSTOM SEATS), but no mention of a web address. I also think I determined his last name is spelled "ADCOX".

I don't carry a passenger much either, but I have fond memories of whem my wife used to ride with me, and I guess I want that option if she decides too again. She stopped as soon as we started having kids. A couple we when to high school with were hit at a stop light and killed, leaving three little ones behind. It definitely spooked her.

As for the Adcox seat, one actually just sold on here. I took a stab at it, but my offer was a bit weak. I was kind of on the fence about it so I guess i kind of low balled. However I noticed Terry just put a listing on Ebay for them. eBay item number:191149573358. he builds off your stock pan, so you have to send it in.

I read about the mod in your thread, and was thinking about doing it myself this week since I had pulled the fairings anyway to quiet my buzz permanently. A little doublsided duck tape and some old bicycle inner tube did the trick. I thought about going a step further and pulling off the tank becauise I have some hose on hand, but decided against it. Mine is pretty damn smooth so I took the "If it aint broke, don't fix it" approach on that.

Oh yeah, for anyone with a fairing buzz from the front tab, in a pinch a few small cardboard pieces cut from a 12 pack box shimmed in from the front along the tab will quiet it until you have the time to do it right. Takes all of 2 minutes, and lasted me approx 600 miles :-)

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:24 PM

Garage
Quote:

Thanks for the post.

EDIT:

Will his phone # work for ya.....

Terry Custom Seats

248 Deford lane. Manchester, TN 37355
Phone: (931) 841-2620

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, I saw the one Jeff had for sale in Alaska, and caught that thread, yes. I found great pics on the web of the flat model of the Adcox seat.

Probably a pic from another inmate here

If some sweetie gal wants to ride with me, I have another bike with a more generous seat, at least for now..
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

You the man, Weljo. thanks

What kind of loot did yours set ya back, you recall>?

Its a stock seat pan exchange deal?
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yep, I saw the one Jeff had for sale in Alaska, and caught that thread, yes. I found great pics on the web of the flat model of the Adcox seat.

Probably a pic from another inmate here

If some sweetie gal wants to ride with me, I have another bike with a more generous seat, at least for now..

Great photo...That was my bike..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:30 PM

post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:34 PM

Garage

Had a Baldwin. Save some money and get a Seat Concepts......I've had 7 different seats on the Versys so yes i can voice an opinion based on experience with one...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:53 PM

Airhawk medium cruiser pad.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Great photo...That was my bike..
I blatantly steal in good taste then!

Just heard back from Terry, took about 1/2 hour for a response is all, that's great. He's good enough at this game to be booked until Mid August...

I guess a guy has to plan ahead... score a second stock seat (gafaw , I just threw up a little). Sounds like he also has some stock-loaner seats, but I am guessing the shipping back-n-forth is going to cost something...

"hmmm"

Guess I don't have to decide today, but I like the concept.

Oh, that was probably a bad way to say that
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
Airhawk medium cruiser pad.
Friend of mine has two models on his bikes, one on top of his KLR Sargent seat, and another on his Super Tenere. He swears by them, I tried his - I don't like the wallowing around on jello-feel... I bet you get used to it tho.

Good idea for some tho, Gene-- yep, also a fast approach to it!
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 03:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
I blatantly steal in good taste then!

Just heard back from Terry, took about 1/2 hour for a response is all, that's great. He's good enough at this game to be booked until Mid August...

I guess a guy has to plan ahead... score a second stock seat (gafaw , I just threw up a little). Sounds like he also has some stock-loaner seats, but I am guessing the shipping back-n-forth is going to cost something...

"hmmm"

Guess I don't have to decide today, but I like the concept.

Oh, that was probably a bad way to say that

Terry's a great guy to deal with. Really liked the Adcock Flat Seat i had so i could stretch out some..The Seat Concepts Seat was the last one i purchased got a smoking deal here on the forum for $160.00 shipped. It was on the bike when i sold it. Wish i had got one sooner. Back when i ordered my Adcock Seat i got it back in 7 days shipping was only about $25.00 back then. Between the 2 seats i liked the Seat Concepts better...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

I feel like I am bogarting up the OP's post, apologies man.

Weljo, you didn't have issue or complaints about bumpin into the hump behind you on the Seat Concepts? I hate that restrained feeling, just askin.

Do you not have a Versys at all anymore?

(again, sorry to hog up the original dudes post). I will hang up and listen .....
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 04:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
I feel like I am bogarting up the OP's post, apologies man.

Weljo, you didn't have issue or complaints about bumpin into the hump behind you on the Seat Concepts? I hate that restrained feeling, just askin.

Do you not have a Versys at all anymore?

(again, sorry to hog up the original dudes post). I will hang up and listen .....
Heres the answer to one of your earlier post. He dropped the price $25.00 if you got hold of him direct at that time......http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-650...6704ee&vxp=mtr
No issues with the hump on the Seat Concepts but i did have an issue with that on the Baldwin Tall Seat i had.

Got the FJR Jan,2014 Got tired of waiting on the V1000 and sold the Versys Mar,2014.....

by weljo2001, on Flickr

On a ride with the V's new owner...

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-16-2015 at 04:20 PM.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have a seat concept on mine... still trying to decide if I like it better or worse than stock...
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beany View Post
I have a seat concept on mine... still trying to decide if I like it better or worse than stock...
I would love to hear more detail on why.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 08:17 PM

same here, compared to stock, I absolutely love my new seat concepts seat! I did about a 250 mile ride this past weekend on it, my rear was a little sore, but standing up for a minute or two once and a while made it no problem. if I had the stock seat on there, I don't think I would be talking right, the stock seat just had SO MUCH forward lean.

I also have motowerks lowering pegs on it with 2" rox anti vibe pivoting riser, I couldn't ask for a more comfortable riding position. although I wouldn't mind trying a corbin seat if I could find one cheap enough. the corbin on my seca 2 is great.

Thunder Blue 2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode