Cross Canada Trip - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cross Canada Trip

Hey Versys Riders,

I have been thinking about completing a cross Canada trip starting in mid-June and ending in mid to late August. I want to visit every province + territory, as well as many small towns/bars considered to be "off the beaten track."

I grew up in rural Alberta and have explored small portions of Canada and many Latin American countries; however, I have heard from many visitors that we, as Canadians, don't realize what we have in our own backyard.

Well... you only live once, so I don't see the point of keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that one day I get the chance to explore this beautiful country.

If anyone is interested, PM me. I have written proposals to a couple of publishing companies, as well as Kawasaki (awaiting response).

There's more to life than 4 walls and a computer screen.

Take care,

Banack

"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."

Last edited by Banack; 05-24-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 05:50 AM

Good luck with your trip! Sounds like a great adventure.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Shawn, if i lived in Canada i would be very tempted to go with you but intend to ride your part of the world within the next 5 years.

All the best

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banack View Post
Hey Versys Riders,

I have been thinking about completing a cross Canada trip starting in mid-June and ending in mid to late August. I want to visit every province + territory, as well as many small towns/bars considered to be "off the beaten track."

I grew up in rural Alberta and have explored small portions of Canada and many Latin American countries; however, I have heard from many visitors that we, as Canadians, don't realize what we have in our own backyard.

Well... you only live once, so I don't see the point of keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that one day I get the chance to explore this beautiful country.

If anyone is interested, PM me. I have written proposals to a couple of publishing companies, as well as Kawasaki (awaiting response).

Currently, I work as an environmental consultant at a private firm, but there's more to life than 4 walls and a computer screen.

Take care,

Shawn
Well said. life it's about 4 walls and trust you will have a good trip. Just in case you want to drop to this side of the universe drop a Pm and will be glad to show you around.
Have a safe ride
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 10:36 AM

Sounds great - saying to my girlfriend yesterday as we were driving back from pemberton to Whistler BC on vacation, how great it would be to do this on a motorbike. Breathtaking views and prefect condition sweeping roads. I;m sure I've only touched the tip of the iceberg of scenery in Canada, but I;d recommend getting over this way if you can.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 04:18 PM

Just remember, Canada doesn't stop at Cape Breton. There is some absolutely great scenery and people across the gulf on the island portion of Newfoundland. Make sure you get there!

(I'm a bit biased, though, having spent the first 22 years of my life in St. John's...)

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

I am getting bent out of shape over this Trying to figure out if I should do more planning and put it off until next June (of 2011) or try for it this year. It will take a lot of planning if I want to do it right... winging it is fun, but not practical when you don't want to miss the "must see" places. I want to try and visit a lot of the major tourist attractions, but I also really want to visit a bunch of small towns and clink glasses with the locals, get to know them and their stories.

Does anyone have any advice? I know I can find books on the various "attractions" to visit in each province/territory, but the "off the beaten track" locations may be more difficult to find research information on. Grrrrrr, it's killin' me, I want to do it this year so badly, but I want to do it right, and if that means waiting, I'll do so.

"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:29 PM

I can't answer that question for you, but if you decide to do it and find yourself in Moncton, drop me a note. Not exactly off the beaten path but we clink a lot of glasses here. I'd be glad to point you to the things you should do and see nearby.

Take the long way home
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I am getting bent out of shape over this Trying to figure out if I should do more planning and put it off until next June (of 2011) or try for it this year. It will take a lot of planning if I want to do it right... winging it is fun, but not practical when you don't want to miss the "must see" places. I want to try and visit a lot of the major tourist attractions, but I also really want to visit a bunch of small towns and clink glasses with the locals, get to know them and their stories.

Does anyone have any advice? I know I can find books on the various "attractions" to visit in each province/territory, but the "off the beaten track" locations may be more difficult to find research information on. Grrrrrr, it's killin' me, I want to do it this year so badly, but I want to do it right, and if that means waiting, I'll do so.
I would do it now if you can. Life has a funny way of crapping on plans and you might not get another chance to do this trip.

Grab a map and hit the road. The magic of this country is not just in the land but in the people. I'm sure with full planning you could hit all the tourist attractions but is that what you want to experience? Meet locals, hear some stories and share your life with others. I'm very jealous.

Good luck and have fun.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547

Last edited by cuff; 05-24-2010 at 08:22 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 08:19 PM

[QUOTE=133bhp;84583] saying to my girlfriend yesterday as we were driving back from pemberton to Whistler BC on vacation, how great it would be to do this on a motorbike. [QUOTE]

Oh it is Sir, it is.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 10:00 PM

Trust me!
Do not put it off. Just load and go! The scoot will take you in the right direction.

I have a GPS but unless I have a set destination I just ride. When I get to a t intersection I let the scoot decide which way to go.

True story. Last year I was in White Court B.C. headed for Fairbanks, Ak.. I never made it to Ak. but rather I ended up in Phoenix, Az.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 11:27 PM

Garage
Quote:

Hi Banack

It is almost exactly 5 years ago this week my wife and I took off for 4 months through the outback of Australia in a 4x4 (Toyota Prado Diesel) and a Trak Shak Camper Trailer (tent trailer).

We had spent 2 years in the planning - mainly getting the gear right for us - we needed a bit more comfort than most as my wife had a hip replacement a few years previously. We were self sufficent for up to 10 days at a time of desert camping - low 30's (F) overnight (frosts were common) to 110F or more during the day.

We found that (a) it didn't matter how much you planned the best expierences were often the unexpected and (b) other travellers and locals usually were happy to 'give you the good oil'.

Unless you need the time to sort out your gear and / or finances I doubt if you will have a better trip in 2011 than you would in 2010.

Just start with a mud map and an open mind. Take twice as many photos and keep a more detailed diary than you think you will need.

For example I took over 6,000 photos and my wife wrote over 100,000 words of email diary and we both wish we had recorded more details.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Go NOW! PM me when you plan to hit Alberta....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode